The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 5, 2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Here we go again!

If y'all remember, I just bought a Walker from Denster. You may also have read in my posts that no matter what I take along, the ROA always goes.

Well I think I now have another pistol which will be a constant accompanist at the range. The Walker is going just like the ROA.

Here is my reaction to this pistol. I read in the Lyman book that 40 grains was a good load. So that is where I started. I came up with a high velocity of 897 and a low of 760 fps. Group was about two inches. Bumping it up to fifty grains gave me a high of 988 and a low of 841 (About an extra hundred fps) but the shots were all over the place.

With 50 grains the level of the powder is almost exactly one bullet diameter below the mouth of the chamber. Compressing it placed the bullet about 3/8 inch below the mouth of the chamber. I think you could get about 60 grains in the chamber and still compress the load enough to shoot it.

The pistol comes apart easy, and goes back together easily. It is a real dream to shoot. The action is smooth and solid. Trigger pull is comfortable. (I gotta work on my trigger finger anyway.)

The bottom line is, I can't wait to shoot this pistol again.

It loads easy, comes apart easy, it is just a dream to shoot. I did have a problem in one of the chambers. It misfires every time because the nipple is too short. I backed it out a half turn and that corrected the problem. But I am not sure I like the idea of firing the chamber with the nipple less than snug. This may be the pistol that is a candidate for Tresso nipples.

Here is a photo on my shooting table.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; September 5, 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old September 5, 2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Slowhand

Walker

Doc

Nice looking shooting table, with of course the Walker. Great range report.

I bought Denster's Dragoon 3rd Model, she's paired with my Walker now. One of these day, I'm going to have an outing with the pair, plus a few other acquisitions.

Last edited by Slowhand; September 5, 2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: duh... spelling
Old September 5, 2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Nice looking pair of pistols, Slowhand

I watched Outlaw Josey Wales last night.
Old September 5, 2010, 05:15 PM   #4
denster

Good range report Doc. Sorry I didn't catch that short nipple. Did you have any loading lever drop? That gun seemed to have a pretty good lock on the lever.
Old September 5, 2010, 06:38 PM   #5
plumbernater

I dont know if its true or not but it seems i read or hear some where properly loaded the walker was as powerful as the 44mag or close. Now reading about your new toy Doc makes me want one.
Old September 5, 2010, 07:18 PM   #6
WALKERsD210

Walker

Now that's a gun that would go with my screen name. Wife just bought me a 1851 last week, and on Friday she asked what do I want next. Do you think its too early to ask for a Walker??
Old September 5, 2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Slowhand

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Oh no, Doc..... Now you have gone and done it. When ever it comes to Walkers and Dragoon, The Outlaw Josey Wales has to of course be brought up. Great movie, with some savvy use of the weapons of the era to make a real shoot'em up western. I always watch for those little "moments" when things just don't "click" right.

Eastwood with the modified 1851 Navy Colt. Note the magic loading lever that comes and goes throughout the movie.

In the promotion stills for the movie Eastwood is holding two Walkers. At the end of the movie when he clicks his empty revolvers at Capt. Red-legs and two of them are Walkers. The rest of the time its a pair of Dragoons, no doubt converted to .38 cal blanks.

This a picture of one of Eastwood's Dragoons. Note the Conversion Ring on the cylinder. The rifle he uses on the rope to the Ferry Boat and the ever firing Gatling Gun are a couple laughable moments from this shoot'em up flick.

I always get a kick out of those time warped weapons that show up in Hollywood Movies. So what if it wasn't around until 5, 10 or 20 years later?

Don't get me wrong though despite these little bumps of reality, Eastwood did a lot to present the weapons of the late 17th Century and Civil War Era in a more realistic manner than all those decades of Old Western B Movies. The Remington reload in Pale Rider is a classic scene.

But there are other Hollywood moments that just throw it all out the window. You know the Hero coming back to the farm or ranch from the Civil War, with a Colt Peacemaker in his holster and an 1892 Winchester hanging next to his saddle.

If could have been worse though. You could have mentioned Quigley Down Under. That Sharps Rifle and the long distance shooting were just too much.

This is one where they get it right with the weapons of the time. This flick has Army Colts, Walkers, Dragoons, and other weapons throughout it. There 's even powder flasks and loading levers being used.

Hollywood and the Spaghetti Westerns you got to love'em.

Last edited by Slowhand; September 5, 2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: text error
Old September 6, 2010, 05:36 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Coupla answers

Denster,

I love this pistol. It'll be tough to get any complaint out of me about this deal.

No lever drop whatsoever. Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to put that in the report.

Actually...I took that Rogers and Spencer along and the lever dropped once on it. I had not latched it properly.

Plumbernator,

I am no cartridge guy but it would be easy to calculate. I got tops of about a thousand fps and a 150 grain ball. You could get a little more powder in there with some imagination. Tripple 7 is more powerful than Goex. Might actually get more energy with a heavier bullet and find that you did not lose much in the way of speed.

Slowhand,

I sorry man.....No I ain't

WalkersD210,

I only hope it is not too late.....
Old September 6, 2010, 09:22 AM   #9
Slowhand

You ain't?

You ain't what? Looking for all that stuff the next time you watch The Outlaw Josie Wales?
Old September 7, 2010, 08:58 AM   #10
Noz

Slowhand, You need to contact Chaos Jumbles. His mainmatch CAS guns are a Walker on the right and a Dragoon on the left.
When Chaos is on the line, the earth moves.
Old September 7, 2010, 12:37 PM   #11
Slowhand

Who's coming for breakfast?

Noz

That would be something to see

Chaos Jumbles must be one stout fellow. I've got an Orethopedic appointment regarding an ankle this week. I hardly need to be inducing any recoil damage to a wrist or two with repeated applications of recoil from a whole lot of two fisted shooting with a pair of horse guns.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Mag that kills on one end and cripples on the other. Of course "Sarah", as I call her her, has one of those new fangled Hogue grips, with the little ball inside to redistribute recoil. Which doesn't apply to either the Walker or Dragoon.
Old September 7, 2010, 01:14 PM   #12
R.O

hi slowhand that looks like a nice 44 mag you have there, just wanted to share this picture with you all
two originals ,walker serial 13XX and third model dragoon

Last edited by R.O; September 7, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old September 7, 2010, 02:21 PM   #13
Slowhand

Nice Originals

R.O.

Nice set of Originals there. I bet they have some history behind them. 13XX would I believe make her a Colt Walker Transition (Whitneyville-Hartford Model, 1847 (1001-1340). I wonder how she wound up over the Big Pond? But Colt sold them the world over, plus the odd tourist thing. Who knows?

I'd love to own that pair but.... Since I haven't won the lottery lately, I'll have to stick with the replicas and the odd chance I can encounter an Original for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the picture.
Old September 7, 2010, 02:55 PM   #14
R.O

not my guns ,cant afford them, they belong to a good friend just wanted to share a pic of some originals ,the walker has a six digit retail price and is the only one in Belgium
Old September 7, 2010, 06:49 PM   #15
mykeal

3rd model? With square back trigger guard and round cylinder stop notches?
Old September 7, 2010, 08:14 PM   #16
Ozzieman

I’m more of a Navy Colt fan having several, but I had to share this with you Walker fans.
I was home today and was watching the History channel and they were talking about the Civil War and the POWERFUL Walker Colt came up.
The wonderful writers of this show had this poor nit wit say. “An extremely powerful hand gun, that only recently, a more powerful gun has been built. Not even the 44 magnum can outperform it”.
I almost fell off the couch.
Old September 8, 2010, 10:49 AM   #17
R.O

sorry ,it is a first model dragoon
Old September 8, 2010, 01:49 PM   #18
Slowhand

Ooops

R.O.

Not a problem. It's not like we were buying it or something. Except for the trigger guard and cylinder stop notches there was little difference between the three of them. Still a great photograph of two original classics. Very few of us will actually see or get to hold a pair of them. Thanks for posting it.

Even some of the replicas are getting way over priced. I was bidding on a Pietta Colt Paterson today on Guin Broker. I had $550. laid on it. Some guy just jacked it to $555. With 6 hours left, he can have it. I'd love to have one for the collection but that's a bit too much.
Old September 8, 2010, 03:06 PM   #19
Ozzieman

I have been looking at Colt Paterson's. Dixie has them at under 500 new

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...ucts_id=13600&
Old September 8, 2010, 03:19 PM   #20
Slowhand

Colt Paterson Replica

I called them... they don't have them in stock. Gun Broker is up to $655. on that one.
Thanks for the posting any ways.