The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 5, 2009, 10:34 AM   #1
C Philip

Clarify Vermont suppressor law please

I was looking up what states allow what NFA items, and was surprised to find that Vermont, which allows you to carry just about anything without a permit, does not allow suppressors. I also found that there was only a $25 fine for having a suppressor, which sounds like a joke. Does this mean that you can have one, and just pay the fine if someone catches you using it, or are there more serious legal implications? I'm not advocating breaking the law, just looking for clarification on the unusually small fine, considering NFA items are involved. I'm guessing there has to be more to it.
Old December 5, 2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Chipperman

You have to take Fed penalties into account also.
If VT does not allow them, you could not get one registered as a VT resident. A 5320.20 is not supposed to be required for a suppressor to cross State lines, but ATF obviously would frown upon taking it somewhere illegal.

I presume VT would fine you, and would probably also confiscate it. I'm not sure if ATF would take any other action.
Old December 14, 2009, 07:13 PM   #3
MrPink

Use of a suppressor is a fish and game violation in Vermont. I thought the fine was $50, but I maybe wrong.

As previously said, NFA Branch would not approve a suppressor transfer to a VT resident, but no dot 20 is required either. An out of stater could bring one in, and if used discreetly, who would ever know or really care. Get caught with one, I'm pretty sure it will be confiscated and BATFE would be notified to give you at-best a hard time.

I think the suppressor law comes from a real concern of poachers. There's already enough going on - that and road hunting.

There is some sentiment in Southern VT, which has seen an influx of flatlanders post-9.11 for recreational use of a 22LR suppressor. Call it a "good neighbor" policy.

VT is sooo gun friendly, it seems at odds that about the only thing they don't allow is suppressors. Until you hear that shot in the dark.

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?"