The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 23, 2008, 01:07 AM   #1
Moerlein

Wolf Ammo (5.56)

its obviously the cheapest, along with brown bear (more russian ammo) but i have heard bad reputations about it. im looking for personal opinions if you have used it. and others what is the best 5.56 ammo buy in bulk for the price. really im just going to target shoot, nothing in a competition. just backyard shooting. id at least liek some decent accuracy lol. i have a $1500+ RRA. is the cheap wolf ammo worth it in the long run? all help is appreciated. let me know what ammo is the best bang for your buck!
Old November 23, 2008, 01:44 AM   #2
B. Lahey

I wouldn't mess with it.

Their 154gr SP 7.62x39mm load is not terrible for AKs, and their 9x18mm is acceptable, but their ammo for western chamberings is extremely questionable.
Old November 23, 2008, 01:45 AM   #3
Moerlein

well if you dont recomment wolf...what brand of ammo do you recommend for cheap backyard plinking/target shooting
Old November 23, 2008, 06:34 AM   #4
NukeCop

Nothing wrong with wolf! Visit the Ammo Oracle on ar15.com.... It'll give you the lowdown.

It IS loaded a lil on the light side, isn't match grade(for sure) but its cheap, and it'll run 98% of the ar15's out there. I suggest buying a few boxes, and giving it a try.
Old November 24, 2008, 03:23 AM   #5
tacweapon

I have used Wolf in my RA XCR with no problems, it deffiantly is not the most accurate ammo out there, but for just range practice it fill the bill.

Of the cheap ammo I like Silver Bear the best though, I have found that it is a little more accurate and it seems to be loaded a little hotter, to me it is worth the little extra price.

I would just but a box or two of each brand of the cheaper stuff and see which one if any runs the best out of your rifle.

People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf
Old November 24, 2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Wildalaska

Wolf is junk. Keep money on hand for spare parts if you decide to use it.

WildtotalcrapAlaska TM
Old November 26, 2008, 09:13 PM   #7
dakota223

like i said in a post earlier wolfs the cheapest, I shoot pmc thats about 420 to 500 for a case vances has american eagle ive never shot but they have it for 379.99 a case
Old November 27, 2008, 02:54 PM   #8
TomG160

Wolf shoots just fine in my Bushmaster. In my experience it has been underpowered. In the same range session picking up spent casings, the wolf casings are 4 to 6 feet closer than everything else I would be using.

Great luck with brown/silver bear ammo though.
Old November 27, 2008, 06:10 PM   #9
dixierifleman

Wolf is fine. I've been shooting it in all my ARs and AKs for years. Never had many problems. And Wildbutthurtalaska, why would you need to buy new parts? What could it possibly wear out?
Old November 27, 2008, 06:20 PM   #10
Wildalaska

Quote:
Never had many problems.
But you have had some, yes?

The stuff is crap. I have warned folks here and in person about it. Every tiome I see a blown barrel, blown receiver, torn extractor, stuck case, squib load, broken ejector, bent op rod et sq Wolf has been involved. I laugh inside, penny wise, pound foolish

YMMV, your gun, your money.

WildtandoorimarinadeAlaska
Old November 28, 2008, 10:52 AM   #11
dixierifleman

I've had problems with all kinds of ammo. Doesn't mean jack.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:18 AM   #12
kymarkh

Wolf does not run very well in my Bushmaster carbine - it causes short-strokes about 25% of the time. I still run some every once in a while because it's cheap and the tap, rack, bang drills it causes do have some training value to me. I have not had a single malfunction in this carbine with Remington, Winchester or Federal ammo so I'm thinking that the Wolf is just really underpowered. Some of my buds run Wolf exclusively and have no issues so maybe it's just not a good match for my Bushmaster. I've been meaning to try the Silver Bear ammo as an alternative to Wolf but haven't got around to it yet.
Old November 28, 2008, 01:57 PM   #13
PlantBreeder

I'll pass on what I have heard. Take it for what it's worth.

The main problem with Wolf is the laquer they use on the casing. It can create problems "gumming up" the inside of the gun especially when the gun gets warm. Probably what leads to broken parts etc.

You would probably be all right shooting a few here and there at a time, but I wouldn't shoot more than a five hundred or so and then would need to clean the hell out of your gun before using it again.

I have been using Brown Bear recently and have had good luck with it. It also has a laquer on the casing, but it tends to stay on the casing better than the Wolf ammo.

My information came from a local friend who shoots with LEO's quite often who like to go through a few thousand rounds a session.
Old November 28, 2008, 04:22 PM   #14
Don H

PB, a lot of Wolf comes with a polymer coating rather than a lacquer coating.
Old November 28, 2008, 06:41 PM   #15
DonR101395

I've run close to 10K of it through the 6920 I bought from Wildalaska summer before last with no problems. I've run it in two high round count carbine classes without issue. Bushmaster, RRA and a few others with tighter .223 or match chambers don't like it.
A few years ago I wouldn't have run or recommended it in anything except an AK, but times have changed and I have as well. That said it ain't gonna win any accuracy matches, but that's not it's intended purpose.

Just my $.02 YMMV
Old November 29, 2008, 09:59 PM   #16
Mike in VA

I put a bit (Wolf Military Classic) thru my SIG 556, no problems. As noted, it's not too accurate, but it's find for plinking. I tend to clean my guns after every use, I haven't noticed any unusual fouling. FWIW
Old November 30, 2008, 07:13 PM   #17
gustav129

I've put 100's of rounds of Wolf (Black Box, 122gr) through my SKS. On other SKS specific forums, I have heard a couple stories involving broken firing pins, punctured primers, and so forth, but only the Wolf Military Classic was involved.

Also, I have had a problem with Winchester 7.62x39mm through my SKS. What that comes down to, American made 7.62 is slightly different. 7.62 NATO is closer to .308 than 7.62x39, so you use american made stuff in american made rifles, like the Ruger Mini-30.

As for the differences between .223 and 5.56 NATO, I'm not sure.

Just throwing out, the idea, of using american made ammo for an american made firearm.
Old December 1, 2008, 04:03 AM   #18
ChristopherG

I have used cases and cases of the 7.62x54R in my Mosin Nagant. Haven't had any real troubles or gripes as of yet. Pretty good for the cheap price if you're just target shooting for fun.
Old December 2, 2008, 06:11 PM   #19
Dallas Jack

I've tried Wolf .45 ACP in two 1911's. Both guns which had never failed before would have 6 FTF from a 7 round magazine. Both guns.

I've tried Wolf .223 (poylomer coated, hp's) in a Remington LTR that generally shoots 3/4-1 inch at 100 yards and got 3-4 inch groups and hard extraction. I guess if cost is the driving factor and you aren't in need of a more accurate round, Wolf would do.

I use Wolf M/T .22 lr in my heavy barreled 10/22 and it generally shoots 1/2 (1 1/4-1 1/2 at 100 yards) groups at 50 yards.

Love the M/T .22 lr but I have no use for the other at any price. YMMV
Dallas Jack
Old December 2, 2008, 06:20 PM   #20
B. Lahey

Quote:
Love the M/T .22 lr
That's because it's not made by Wolf, they just put their logo on the box.
Old December 2, 2008, 06:59 PM   #21
Dallas Jack

B. Lahey, I suspected as much. The headstamp looks like Lapau.
Dallas Jack
Old December 2, 2008, 11:05 PM   #22
L-2

http://www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp
http://www.barnaulammunition.com/

I tried some of this Barnaul ammo which seemed to function a bit more reliably in my AR-15. I got an OK price on it when it used to be sold by cheaperthandirt.com, but they no longer seem to be carrying it. Referenced is its chosen supplier/importer, although I've not done business with them.

I really have to pay attention to scrubbing out the chamber when using Wolf ammo in the AR. If I don't, I get cases sticking and not extracting. Apparently it's not the coating, but fouling from gases blowing by the steel casing. At least, that's what I'd read...but I can't remember where I read that!!!

Here it is: http://theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

Last edited by L-2; December 2, 2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Found ref. for Wolf ammo case-sticking-opinion.
Old December 3, 2008, 08:13 PM   #23
frankinstine

Me and my dad shoot almost nothing but wolf ammo through both of our AR 15s and his is a bushmaster. I see nothing wrong with it. We've used more expensive ammo that would work. I think it works great, try it out and see if it works for you.
Old December 4, 2008, 06:49 PM   #24
FireForged

I would never use Wolf ammo in any rifle other than a AK variant or SKS style rifle. Steel cased, laquered ammo is going to do nothing but cause problems is a AR style rifle.

Unless they offer brass cased un-laqured ammo, I would stay away from it.
Old December 4, 2008, 07:09 PM   #25
frankinstine

I'm just curious, to the guys who advise agaisn't the wolf ammo, have you tried it?