The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 4, 1999, 01:47 PM   #1
Fargo

I am seriously considering getting started in high power DCM rifle competition through my schools rifle and pistol team. I have 2 BM's that I could use to compete. One is a pre-ban Dissipator and I also have an assembled post-ban lower. Since I am in school (paying for school, not guns) and will be building this gun with donations from aunts, uncles, grandparent's etc... I don't want to spend lots of money because I don't plan on getting much. Should I build up my post-ban gun or my pre-ban lower? Which would be the most cost-effective way to go? Would it be possible to build an accurate AR without breaking the bank? What parts do I REALLY NEED and what do I want to stay away from. Have you seen people competitively compete with a totally stock A2 with no free float handguard and all of the other bells and whistles? Could I compete with a totally stock rifle? Should I use the post-ban because it will be more accurate (no flash suppressor to destabilize the bullet) and save the wear and tear on my prized pre-ban?

P.S. What are some low cost tricks and tips to make a standard AR more accurate? Have any of you guys used one of those lead weights that you put in the buttstock? Thanks guys for your input.

Old February 6, 1999, 12:36 PM   #2
pat

Fargo, the stock gun will work on reduced course matches and on full courses up to about a low expert score. i have friends that do it. dont buy the wieght use som sand in a bag then stuff the stock with a rag to fill the rest. the gun should ballance at the fwd edge of the mag well. get 1/2 min sights and a good trigger(bushmaster compass lakes) is the best at low price. the post ban would be better as you said the flash supressor is just another variable,I dont think it would destabilize the bullet but it is another variable. If you are going to assemble the upper yourself you can get a good douglas barrel at not to high a price. just have the chamber cut with a tight short throat by some one that knows what they are doing . ship them your bolt with the barrel so it can be head spaced together as a match set.......any way if you dont want to spend to much start with your stock gun and build up as your scores come up most of all have fun
Pat
Old February 8, 1999, 01:32 AM   #3
pat

Fargo, get Glen Zediker's book "The competitive AR15, the mouse that roared" it will explane all that is needed to shoot this thing in any type of competition good luck ...pat
Old February 8, 1999, 08:49 AM   #4
Michael Carlin

Read this completely a couple of times:

m1-m1a-ar15.com/Docs/AR_15.html

Good information on the process of fire lapping a Douglas barrel. Clint Fowler has some good ideas on the assembly of a good black rifle.

Build up a post ban gun, there is no advantage to a flash suppressor and it can have a negative impact on accuracy. It certainly never significantly improves it.

I like the Armalite two stage NM trigger.
JP Enterprises has a trigger that you might look at. The Compass Lake system also has followers. On a budget, maybe shoot the stock trigger for a while. I would put money first in the barrel and sights. Then the trigger.

IMHO the free floating sleeve is a must!

Use a good leather sling.
See my website.

Spring for the NM sights, and be advised that in an A2 the elevation clicks are 1/3 not half or quarter. The windage clicks are half.

Use good brass, and trim it to 1.750.

Sierra 69s or 77s for short range (2 and 300)
and 80s for the midrange (600). Much contorversy about the benfits of moly coating for the bullets. I do, and think you should too! Ease of cleaning, (hence less barrel wear) and longer barrel life.

Vihta Vuori Oy N540 for everything.
Most here are using CCI primers.

Email me, if you are serious, I might be able to help.

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited 02-08-99).]
Old February 9, 1999, 12:01 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Pat's recommendation on reading material is seconded by me. The book is must reading for the AR fan.

I'll also take this opportunity to second Sgt. Carlin's advice on free floating the barrel and other sage advice. That's one of the most important thing to do on a competition AR. Put some good sights on (NM quality) and a new front sight blade. A good trigger job.

There's more in the book but you'll have to read it yourself and judge for yourself. Good shooting.
Old February 10, 1999, 02:02 AM   #6
Fargo

I just wanted to thank you guys again for all the help in getting me started.