The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2007, 07:01 AM   #1
snail

Reloading prices

In your humble opinion how much would it cost to set myself up to reload 9mm and .40? I like to shoot 300-500 rounds every weekend. I am new to the reloading end, but the ammo costs are eating me alive. I really hope I put this in the right forum, I am sorry if I didn't. Thank you for your help
Old August 20, 2007, 07:09 AM   #2
rwilson452

It really depands on how much time your willing to devote to reloading. I would suggest you read the stickys at the top of this forum and get a copy of the ABC's of reloading. readthe stickys and read the book a couple of times before you go any further. Depending on how fast you want to reload. you can get into it for less than $200 or spend well over $1000.
Old August 20, 2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Sevens

Unless we get in to specifics, it's pretty difficult to give a real hard dollar amount. But you certainly must be prepared to spend a whole heckuva lot of money on this hobby. In the end, you will likely spend more on the whole project on a regular basis than you do currently on ammo alone. But you will also end up with more ammo and you'll probably shoot more often.

What I'd recommend is that you point your browser to www.midwayusa.com right now and start looking just at projectile prices. The bullets are the most expensive part of the handloaded round. You can figure $20-$25 per pound of powder, and $2-$3 per hundred primers.

Most of us have found that handloading is a hobby all in itself, as enjoyable as shooting, so we dump a fair amount of time and money in to it. Round by round, our ammo is cheaper than buying factory stuff, but nobody in here "saves" money with this hobby.
Old August 20, 2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Tuzo

Most of my reloading hardware was purchased on eBay. For example, my RCBS Rockcrusher II press cost $60. It required a little bit of cleaning but was otherwise in near new condition. Most of my seven RCBS die sets were also Ebay finds but at about $15 less than Midway USA prices and included shell holders as a freebie. Midway and Widener's are very good sources for other supplies such as bullets and minor hardware. My reloading hardware has cost about 50% of retail purchase.

Do not buy bullets and brass on eBay because prices are not that attractive. Most of my brass, powder, and primer is from a local reloading supplier. Primers and powders are subject to a HazMat fee when ordering online.

Two years ago I compiled a cost comparison between equivalent commercial ammunition and reloads. Midway USA catalog was used for pricing. By equivalent I exclude surplus or foreign bulk ammunition. I load for accuracy and use quality components. These are a few of the comparisons: 9mm commercial loads are 265% greater than reloads, .357 magnum is 350%, .223 match is 501%, .44 magnum is 399%, .30-06 is 342%, and .454 Casull is 464%. My wife was impressed with the figures but I did not include the prorated cost of reloading hardware, but that is part of the sunk cost of this hobby and that cost diminishes with successive reloads.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Reloading costs.pdf (27.6 KB, 41 views)
Old August 20, 2007, 10:31 AM   #5
xsquidgator

Quote:
Most of us have found that handloading is a hobby all in itself, as enjoyable as shooting, so we dump a fair amount of time and money in to it. Round by round, our ammo is cheaper than buying factory stuff, but nobody in here "saves" money with this hobby.
A bunch of people told me that before I started, and I've certainly found it to be true.

I also agree 100+% about reloading being a cool and fun hobby all by itself. Reloading also really complements my shooting hobby too. The best fringe benefit I've gotten from reloading, other than the enjoyment aspect and more rounds for the same or less $, is that I almost never go to the store to buy ammo anymore except for self defense ammo. All of my practice stuff for all my pistols and rifles, I just reload. I used to have to plan an out-of-the-way trip to walmart or wherever every time I went to the range, no more, I just spend a few evenings the week before and make as much as I'll think I'll want. Very nice.
Old August 20, 2007, 12:43 PM   #6
rwilson452

Another warning about reloading. For most people it is an extremely addictive hobby and there is no known cure.
Old August 20, 2007, 01:16 PM   #7
Sevens

I can tell you that perhaps the biggest reason I enjoy the hobby of handloading is because it's something I can do on my time, unscheduled. There are enough steps and stages to building ammo (especially for us single stage guys) that you can go to the bench for an hour or 3 if you have the time and knock out a whole bunch in one caliber. Like this morning, I spent some time lubing 100 8x57 brass that I had recently bought, and I ran them all through the full-length sizer. Then I sat in front of the TV and cleaned all the dried excess lube off them. No, I don't have 100 loaded rounds ready for the range... but I'm about half way there for when I go back to the bench.

To go shooting, I've got to gather the equipment I need, gather the ammo, gather the firearms, load them in to the car, drive to the range, hang the targets, shoot 'em up, collect the brass, clean up the targets, then go home. Then I've got a trunkful of guns that need to be cleaned. It's quite an operation. I do it because I enjoy it, but I have to schedule time to get to the range.

Handloading, I can simply screw in a die and run a bunch of brass through a stage and close up shop when I need to head off to work or eat dinner or whatever.
Old August 20, 2007, 02:07 PM   #8
Wild Bill Bucks

snail,

If your shooting that much, you already have enough brass saved up to choke a horse. Brass is the only thing that is saved from a fired round, and is the only component that brings the cost down, every time you reload.

For about $300.00 you can by a RCBS Rock Crusher, in a kit that will have everything you need excluding powder, primers, and bullets.(I talked the dealer into throwing in a dye set for free)

I load for a .44 magnum, and can load 4 rounds for the same price as 1 round of factory ammo. With all my stuff set up right, I can load about 75 to 100 rounds per hour, with all my preperations done ahead of time.

Handloading will not save you money, if you like to shoot, but it will let you shoot a lot more for the same money. It is addictive, and as someone stated before, there is no known cure for the addiction.
Old August 20, 2007, 04:43 PM   #9
CrustyFN

It all depends on how much time you have and your budget. If you buy a single stage press like the rock chucker then you are looking at about 75 rounds per hour. If you want to load a little faster you can get into a Lee Classic Turret press for around $200 and load around 200 per hour. If you want to go progressive and load 500 to 600 per hour then you are looking at around $600 and up depending on the extras you buy. I went the Classic Turret route because of my budget and it has been a great press. If I load for around 1.5 to 2 hours per night M-F by Saturday I can have 800 to 1,000 rounds ready to go. I usually load longer and less days. I think the only reason I haven't upgraded to a progressive ( besides the classic meeting my needs ) is because I enjoy reloading and don't want to rush through it, so I'm not in a hurry to just crank out a bunch of ammo.
Rusty
Old August 20, 2007, 04:48 PM   #10
jdmick

Good summary CrustyFN. I've got the Lee Classic Turret and it's a whole lot better than single stage but if I knew I would be shooting around 500 rounds a week I'd take a hard look at a full progressive and be done with it. It just depends how much you like reloading and how much value you put on your time.
Old August 20, 2007, 06:33 PM   #11
FM12

For me, shooting has just become a means to empty my ammo so I can reload again! i love RELOADING. By far my best-ever hobby. I is addictive!
Old August 20, 2007, 07:38 PM   #12
snail

I have to admit that I am surprised by the answers. I had thought that reloading was a money saver to feed my shooting addiction, but from the sounds of it I will spend just as much or more to do the same thing. On top of that I'll be addicted to reloading too!!!!!!!! I really do appreciate the responses and I will check out midway.com to see for myself too.
Old August 20, 2007, 08:01 PM   #13
nass

Real reloaders call shooting...brass unloading...

I've never been guilty of that

Enjoy it. If practiced in moderation, it can be economical. I do say that most just shoot the same $$, but they get more to shoot.
Old August 20, 2007, 09:49 PM   #14
FM12

NASS: Thanks for the "brass unloading" term. I knew there was such a term, but didn't know the technical nomenclature for it. FM12
Old August 21, 2007, 06:34 AM   #15
Sigma 40 Blaster

For 9mm and .40 cal you're in luck. I believe shellholders are the same for both calibers, if you go progressive you just need to change the dies and re-adjust your powder measure to for caliber changes.

I bought the cheapest progressive I could find a few months ago to see if I really wanted to do this reloading stuff. A Lee Pro 1000 fully equipped with a die set cost about 139.00 at Midway. You can buy another die set for < 25 dollars and an extra three hole turret for 9$.

I was thinking about upgrading but after brass prep I can work about 300-400 rounds per hour through this thing once I get it "tuned in"...unfortunately I've found myself buying new caliber guns so I can buy some more reloading equipment and components.
Old August 21, 2007, 07:03 AM   #16
snail

Well Sigma 40 Blaster that doesn't seem like very much at all. I think I will have to get a book, look on midway, and see if it is somthing I want to deal with. I really enjoy shooting and I need to make it a little more cost efficient.
Old August 21, 2007, 08:25 AM   #17
CrustyFN

Quote:
Good summary CrustyFN. I've got the Lee Classic Turret and it's a whole lot better than single stage but if I knew I would be shooting around 500 rounds a week I'd take a hard look at a full progressive and be done with it. It just depends how much you like reloading and how much value you put on your time.
I agree with you 100%. I have three to four hours a night to reload so time is not a problem for me. I will reload instead of watch TV so it isn't taking away from any projects or anything important. If I had little time to reload I would go progressive.
Rusty
Old August 21, 2007, 05:25 PM   #18
TEDDY

reloading???

I am amazed at the amount of shooting most do on these forums.does any one shoot for accuracy? I cant see how you can take the time to get good aim.I was never a great shot but I was consistent and steady.and won my share of matches.
having said that!!
get catologes from several dealers.
midsouthshooters.com===best price
Graf & sons.com ==brass/powder/primers
midway ==good dealer
natchez==good prices
rcbs==tools
lyman====tools
hornady===tools
redding===tools
sportsman guide==misc.
Old August 21, 2007, 06:32 PM   #19
Jart

I shoot at ranges where I lose title to the brass when it hits the floor. Hence, I didn't get into reloading until a revolver followed me home. Specifically, a couple of .41 Magnum revolvers - you can't help but save money reloading those even using premium bullets and new Starline.

9mm and .40? Not so much. I haven't been down that road but even with everything going up reloading will still save some money. Likely enough to keep up your current volume of shooting without pain.

300 - 500 a week is more than I shoot for sure. You might amortize the gear a good deal sooner than some even if the "spread" in 9mm and .40 isn't as big as some other loads.

500 rounds a week of .41 Mag and you'ld have a Dillon 1050 paid off in no time. It'll be a lot longer with 9mm. But, using a 50 week year, you're burning 15,000 to 25,000 rounds a year. I'm amazed you haven't started rolling your own before now. At 8.00 per box of 50 WWB, you're looking at $4,000.00 per year. That'll cover a 1050 easily.

I wouldn't ordinarily recommend someone start with a 1050 - read up first.
Old August 21, 2007, 09:12 PM   #20
swmike

Do you want to just get set up to reload a few boxes now and then or do you want to get set up to reload for your needs in future years?

I farted around with a single stage press for a few years loading 9mm for my weekend trips to the range. I got real tired of the single stage after a few months. A $100 item went on the shelf in the form of a press and another $50 or so for a powder measure. I then bought a Lee Progressive for about $125 or so. Used the dies, scale and calipers so I "salvaged" that $100. Total cost so far was just under $400.

After 25 years or so of "making do" I finally went out and bought a Dillon XL-650. I don't shoot any more today, I just spend less time at the bench (and a lot less time cussing).

Don't just look to your needs today, look ahead. If you anticipate shooting more then buy what you feel you will need for that day. Less wasted time and money.

If you do buy something "top of the line", and you decide to change hobbys in the future, good equipment fetches good prices so you won't be selling that press at Garage Sale prices.

BTW: Reloads will cost you from 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of New Rounds, depending on your source of brass and choice of bullets (Range brass for free and good bulk cast bullets). You can ammortize the cost of a good press and accessories fairly quick if you shoot a lot.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old August 22, 2007, 07:16 PM   #21
PineyWoodsPlace

Don't let anyone try to sell you that line about "Reloading saves you money." It ain't true. You're gonna spend the money. It's just that reloading lets you shoot a LOT more for the same price.

I've been handloading for almost 40 years. I started with a single stage press, but my shooting has been steadily increasing to the point where a progressive press is really a necessity - I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter. I fired around 4,000 rounds in competition alone last year and have already exceeded that amount this year.

A single stage press will not supply you with enough ammo to shoot 300-500 rounds every week unless you're spending ALL of your spare time loading. I can easily load 800 rounds of 357 Magnum on my Dillon XL650 in about an hour. I can load about 500 on my Dillon 550 in the same amount of time.

The only thing I still use the single stage press for is limited runs of hunting ammo, but it excels at that.
Old August 23, 2007, 07:50 AM   #22
kellyj00

I agree with the "it costs the same, but you shoot more."

If you use components from www.powdervalleyinc.com you're looking at about
$60 per 1000 rounds of 9mm
$75 per 1000 rounds of 45acp.

those are estimates. If you cast bullets, you'll save a lot more as that's the most expensive part. I use all commercially available stuff and my 45's are right at 7 cents each..... walmart sells winchester 45 white box for 28 cents a piece.... uh, ya, way way cheaper.

If you use jacketed bullets, your costs will be much higher.