The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 15, 2005, 10:10 PM   #1
Texzdiver

Need help with extraction pronblem...

I have an old Marlin model 783 22mag that I dearly love even though I know it isn't an expensive gun or anything special, but it shoots "lights out" and I really like 22mags. Anyway, it has gotten to where it wont always extract the spent shell when I cycle the bolt sometimes and I have to very firmly close the bolt with a little force in order to get it to grab the shell. What might be the cause of this and would it be an easy fix? Thanks!
Old February 15, 2005, 11:37 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

What you describe could have many causes, but how about plain old dirt?

If possible, find someone (maybe an auto shop) with a sonic bath. Take the barrelled action out of the stock, remove the bolt and inner magazine tube and just dunk the action and bolt.

If that is not possible, buy a can of Gun Scrubber, take the barrelled action out of the receiver and really hose it down. Remove the bolt and spray the bolt face, extractors, and so on, Spray into the chamber as well. Then use a spray lube/protector/penetrant like G96 Gun Treatment to protect the bare metal (the Gun Scrubber will remove all the oil). Add a few drops of oil in critical places like the bolt cocking cams and see what happens.

Jim