The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2010, 12:07 PM   #1
funwithzombies

Question on shotgun care

I purchased a mossberg 500 last year and have never fired it. It has just been sitting in the gun case. I was wondering if I need to clean it even though it hasn't been fired.

I pulled it out the other day and there are little patches of what looks like oil scattered around the exterior.

Thanks,

new poster
Old March 16, 2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Maromero

YES. Every month or so you have to bathe it in oil or whatever product you choose to do so, for it will feel neglected and won't work properly when the need arises.

Seriously, use a cloth impregnated with oil and wipe it regularly.
Old March 16, 2010, 01:03 PM   #3
RoscoeC

Quote:
I purchased a mossberg 500 last year and have never fired it.
That is just wrong.
NRA Life Member
Old March 16, 2010, 01:46 PM   #4
BigJimP

yes, I would wipe it down periodically ( even if you have not fired it ) ...a good preventative maintenace program on all your guns is a good idea.

How often / what to do depends a lot on the environment. If its cold or damp where you store your guns ( like a safe in an unheated garage ) -- you'd better look at them at least every week or you'll get some surface rust. If you live in a real humid climate --that's a factor. If you store them indoors / safe is in a warm dry room - maybe once a quarter or once every 6 months is enough .... It just depends. But at the very least - I would run an oiled patch thru the barrel / inspect the receiver, trigger group, etc / and wipe the exterior down with a slightly damp oiled rag ( spray a light mist of Rig Oil or something on a rag )...or even WD-40 and wipe it down.
Old March 16, 2010, 02:55 PM   #5
funwithzombies

Thanks for all of the responses. I will be sure to go out and get a gun cleaning kit.
Old March 16, 2010, 08:43 PM   #6
b12alex

i use barricade on my guns. its almost like a WD40 but its made to protect your firearms from moister and it lubricates
Old March 17, 2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Uncle Ben

I hate to admit it, but I know where you're coming from. I have a 500 that I've had for several months now, but I have not shot it yet. But I do get it out at least once or twice a week for a "dry" run for the sake of practice and function test, and just to keep myself familar and comfortable with it.

It is one of my HD weapons, so it is not kept in a case for the sake of quick/easy access. It is also kept loaded, firing pin dropped, safety off, empty chamber (aka: cruiser ready).

I just don't have the time or money for the range...sure wish I had more of both!
Old March 21, 2010, 07:11 PM   #8
funwithzombies

Uncle Ben,

You bring up a point that I have been thinking about after reading some of the forum pages. Is it practical for me to leave ammunition in the magazine for long periods of time considering spring tension?

At the moment this is my primary HD gun and I want to ensure that it is operating at 100% if I ever need to use it.

Again, thanks for all of the intelligent responses. I have just recently joined this forum and can already see that most posts are backed up by individuals with considerable experience.
Old March 21, 2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

If you are going to use a gun for defense, shoot the damned thing!
Make sure it works, and that you know how to use it properly.
Leaving it loaded won't hurt anything.
Old March 21, 2010, 11:02 PM   #10
sTimoral

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwithzombies
I purchased a mossberg 500 last year and have never fired it. It has just been sitting in the gun case. I was wondering if I need to clean it even though it hasn't been fired.

I pulled it out the other day and there are little patches of what looks like oil scattered around the exterior.

Thanks,

new poster
Old March 23, 2010, 04:01 PM   #11
Uncle Ben

Don't worry about leaving the tube magazine fully loaded and under tension. That is the way it is designed to be. Guns are supposed to be loaded and ready to use. The spring will not wear out from that. What wears a spring out is constant use...going from full tension to no tension over and over again. Of course they are designed for this too, and will last a while even under normal use, but you should definitely keep it loaded if it is a defense weapon.

My preference is an empty chamber, but full magazine. Hammer dropped on the empty chamber (check and doublecheck that it is empty before dropping the firing pin) , so I don't have to worry about using the action release button to pump in the first round.

In addition to taking it to the range, you can also practice shooting it at home with "dummy" rounds. This will help keep you sharp with shooting and pumping it quickly, and making sure that you pump it fully and with authority to properly eject and chamber your rounds.
Old March 25, 2010, 02:10 AM   #12
johnwilliamson062

Hit it with RIG and forget it as long as it doesn't get handled/wet.