The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 12, 2001, 10:00 PM   #1
Cain R

2 for 2

Wow! What a great hunting season so far. Although the weather has been much warmer and drier than usual I've already bagged my Moose and this morning at first light a nice 4x4 bull elk. My first Elk in 5 years. The load was Federal's 300gr Nosler Partition in .375 H&H. This time the range was 75 paces slightly down hill, the bullet smashed the front right shoulder deflected down through the lungs and exited out with a loonie sized exit hole. The Bull folded up and was done by the time I made it down to him. To make matters even better he was right in the middle of a dry flat logging road only 15 minutes from the truck, oh so much better than my 6 hour-drag the Moose out by yourself and the quad home at 2 AM routine. And, it was only 90 minutes from my farm and 4 miles from where I got the Moose. Now for some cold weather and the Whitetail rut!
Old October 13, 2001, 08:26 AM   #2
CD1

Cain,

Im beginning to not like you very much.
Old October 13, 2001, 10:37 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Old October 14, 2001, 09:12 PM   #4
Cain R

CD1, if it helps I haven't got a Mule Deer in over 3 years
Old October 14, 2001, 09:53 PM   #5

You are killing me. I applied for five different animals in three different states and got a total of 0 tags. No big game hunting for me.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old October 14, 2001, 10:18 PM   #6
Cain R

Where on earth do you live? Here in Alberta, I can go in and purchase Antlered Whitetail (last week of season does ok too) Antlered Mule Deer and Antlered Elk. Moose usually take 3-5 years to get a draw in my local area. This season, Elk, Whitetail, Mule Deer and Moose cost $160.00 Cdn. in fees. Probably 85% of the Province is Crown (public) Land so access is pretty easy (some restriction on qauds etc on zones near the Banff/Jasper National Parks). The biggest hurdle are the FedGov's gun registration laws which I can happily report that only about 8% of all gun owners are participating in. And 98% of that 8% are new gun sales which must be registered before going out the shops door. Off to hunt deer in another week! PS last week before I came home from my moose/elk hunt I counted 56 does/fawns, spikes and forhorns in a 5 mile stretch. Now if it would just snow.
Old October 14, 2001, 10:23 PM   #7

I note that after all that, there was no invitation.
Old October 14, 2001, 10:35 PM   #8
Cain R

444. Most humble apologies. Since I have a Class B guide liscence I can take you hunting. The season ends Nov 30. Bring warm stuff, its finally cooling down. PS bring $50 Cdn, $1.15US to pay the tax for the registration forms when you cross the border, bring only a bolt action rifle, preferably with a trigger lock. Oh yeah, the info about you and your rifle WILL be faxed to the FBI, the RCMP and Interpol, FYI only you understand. For under $200 CDN you should be able to get a Whitetail and Mule tag. Last two weeks of Nov would be best. Pay for the gas .65/litre and food, lets go!
Old October 14, 2001, 10:48 PM   #9

Hey thanks for the invite, but I was just kidding. Not that I wouldn't like to, but no can do this year. Have fun.