The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 8, 2013, 07:43 AM   #26
hornet41

Looked high and low at local gun shops for an American in .308. Stopped by wally world and what did I find??? An American in .308!! They also had one in '06. The .308 followed me home!! Topped it with a nikon 3x9x40. Cleaned her up and out to my range. After initial sighting at 25 meters, backed up to 100 and with a few adjustments it shot 1 MOA consistantly!! Shooting WW white box NATO!! I'm one happy camper!!!
Old January 8, 2013, 08:41 AM   #27
Picher

Looking at the two recoil blocks, it seems that it would be impossible for both to maintain contact with the rear of the notches. I'd probably use some strong bedding compound to maximize contact at those points...but that's just me.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:14 PM   #28
jmfc606

I see they're bring out a 7mm-08 in both original version and new compact with a 20"bbl. The compact has my interest for my daughter's first deer season next fall
Old January 8, 2013, 09:21 PM   #29
reynolds357

Hornet, how much did the rifle cost at Wal Mart?
Old January 8, 2013, 09:36 PM   #30
hornet41

$357
Old January 8, 2013, 10:03 PM   #31
Metal god

The compact has a 18" barrel and I believe it's a light sporter type . some are calling it a youth model . The barrel is 4" shorter but the whole gun is 5-1/4" shorter then the standard model . The stock must be a little shorter as well .

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...ct/models.html

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 9, 2013, 12:12 AM   #32
bricz75

POI shift with different temperatures

I'm considering one of these myself. I did read something about the point of impact being different than what it was sighted at if it is shot in an area where the temperature is different or much different. I think it is something about metal to metal chassis or bedding. Has anyone heard of this? I don't know much about rifle bedding as one can see.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:40 AM   #33
Metal god

I'm no expert either but it's my understanding if you zero any rifle when its 80 and dry . Then go shoot it when it 30 and humid the gun will not shoot the same . that has to do with many factors . When the ammo/powder is hot/warm it will burn better/faster and create more pressure and you will shoot a little high and the opposite if zeroed when hot and then shooting in the cold you will most likely shoot low . I would also think if your barrel is very cold your POI will change quite a bit as it heats up from shooting . Now that's my understanding ( I am talking about the lighter sporter contour barrels ). If I'm wrong please refer to my first 3 words in this post .

I will add that savage has been known for there accuracy and the accu-stock is bedded metal on metal .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N49uIIRnA3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYZJnUyrEQk

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; January 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:23 AM   #34
Dan Newberry

yes... all you have to do is play with a ballistics program a bit, input some different temperatures and/or humidity levels... and elevations... and you'll see zero shift, for sure.

With the free floated barrel, the POI shift will be minimized, but it'll still be there...

High end rifle stocks today are generally always metal-to-metal where the stock and receiver meet.

Dan
Old January 9, 2013, 08:38 PM   #35
tobnpr

Many modern powders- such as Hodgdon's "Extreme" powders, are temperature insensitive. The three I use most (and are universally popular as well)- Varget, H4350, and 8208 XBR are all in that class. One less variable to worry about...

Effects of temp and humidity on bullet flight are unnoticeable at "typical" zero ranges of 100 or 200 yards (with these types of powders). It's long-range where those variables come into play...

POI shift from barrel temp depends on the barrel- if high quality and stress-relieved, sporter contours can continue to shoot well even when hot.
It's more a function of barrel stiffness- than contour.

I had a 20" Savage factory lightweight sporter that did not suffer from POI shifts when hot. Short= stiffer, for length, than one of the same contour that's much longer.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:30 PM   #36
reynolds357

tobnpr, H4350 is temperature sensitive. Hodgdon might say its not, but It most definitely is.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:46 PM   #37
warbirdlover

Quote:
I'm no expert either but it's my understanding if you zero any rifle when its 80 and dry . Then go shoot it when it 30 and humid the gun will not shoot the same . that has to do with many factors . When the ammo/powder is hot/warm it will burn better/faster and create more pressure and you will shoot a little high and the opposite if zeroed when hot and then shooting in the cold you will most likely shoot low . I would also think if your barrel is very cold your POI will change quite a bit as it heats up from shooting . Now that's my understanding ( I am talking about the lighter sporter contour barrels ). If I'm wrong please refer to my first 3 words in this post .
Never experienced this with any of my rifles. All still shoot to zero.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:24 PM   #38
reynolds357

I have a freezer at my range so I can cold barrel zero my deer rifles in the summer time. I also have it so I can check cold barrel zero without waiting several hours. Put your ammo and rifle in the deep freezer overnight, get it out on a 100 degree day and shoot a shot while the rifle and ammo is still very cold. Let them set out for a couple hours in the 100 degree heat and shoot another shot. Bet both shots will not be in the same place.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:36 AM   #39
hooligan1

I use H4350 in my .270 loading exclusively, and I've never had any problems with temperatures either cold or hot.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:42 AM   #40
zincwarrior

Quote:
Great review on the American. I've handled them in the store over and over and over. I'm sure I'll have one in the future. I do love my M77 Mk II all-weather .300 Win Mag in it's new Boyds stock. I had the Gander Mountain gunsmith glass and pillar bed it and free float the barrel and now it is a one hole group rifle if conditions are right and I'm shooting good. That's with cheapo factory ammo. It's 20 years old also. Ruger engineering is excellent.
What was the cost of that Warbirdlover? My only rifles are an M1 carbine, and a cheap .22. I was thinking of getting this as my first real rifle later in the year. In addition to not really knowing what the above does how much is the cost?
Old January 10, 2013, 10:45 AM   #41
wingman

Try some 85gr Sierra bthp in the 243 think you will be amazed seen many one shot kills on deer with that round.
Old January 11, 2013, 01:04 PM   #42
Picher

I've found that my .270 Win does better in cold temps when I use Magnum primers. I use mostly Reloder 22 for deer cartridges.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:55 PM   #43
PatientWolf

Picked up a Ruger American in .308 today @ WM. It was the display and had a very slight scratch on it so they knocked off an extra 10% (a penny shy of $343 out the door). Now if I could only find ammo...
Old January 12, 2013, 10:46 PM   #44
Dan Newberry

my photobucket account got screwed up...

operator error, I guess...

I can't edit my original post to put the photos back in... but here's a link to the PR forum where I have restored all the photos...

http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com...er=asc&start=0
Old January 12, 2013, 11:40 PM   #45
Metal god

I can still see all your photos

Old January 13, 2013, 11:29 PM   #46
Wrothgar

I JUST got one of these today in .308, can't way to give it a shot!

Also, did anyone get the free cheekpad? There was a card in the box saying that if you register with Ruger you get a free cheekpad. I know a lot of people don't like the idea of registering a firearm, even if its with the manufacturer for recall notices, etc. BUT, this time they'll give you free stuff! So, anyone go through with it?
Old January 13, 2013, 11:35 PM   #47
Dan Newberry

I sent in for the free cheekpad... you've got to just fill in the form online, then it'll give you a reference number... then you gotta call Ruger and give the order taker that reference number... I got a recording, but was told to just leave the reference number on the voice mail. We'll see if I get the cheekpad or not...

Not sure how good the thing will be, but what the hey, it's free...

Dan
Old January 13, 2013, 11:38 PM   #48
Metal god

Yea I got the cheek pad . It's OK I have it on there now . It has a small pocket and 5 exterior bullet holder slots or what ever they are called . I have one of the extra cheek risers from one of my other cheek pads under it to lift it up a bit . When shooting off hand my eye lines up great with the scope .

Old January 14, 2013, 11:22 AM   #49
BoogieMan

Shot my buddies 30-06 RA about a week ago. Took us a little while to bring the Nikon scope into kill zone. After that we were seeing 1-1/2" groups at 100yds with Fed premium 165 sierra BT. Front rest only. We pumped some miscellaneous boxed ammo from Hornady and Remington through it. Cleaned well when we got home.
Yesterday we shot the rifle again using Rem core loc 180's. Front rest only I was able to hold 3 shots touching at 100. His results not quite as good but still respectful at 2".
The only odd thing about this rifle is that it has a weird plastic vibration sound when shooting. I assume its the floating fore grip. The stock and mag on this gun are very functional yet IMO seam rather cheep. Its not what I am used to in terms of quality that I see from my old Mauser or Remingtons.Take into consideration that this is a $375 rifle I shouldn't be surprised. I would proudly own one. And it can shoot.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 14, 2013, 06:31 PM   #50
reynolds357

A new wrinkle to consider. A dealer in my area just put all the non-wby chambered Vangard2 rifles on sale for $375. At equal price, is the Ruger American a good value compared to the V2?