The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 7, 2011, 01:42 AM   #26
Auto426

I'm just saying that in a struggle where two people are fighting over a gun and no one has real control over it, which also likely means no one has control over where it's pointing, having the gun not fire due to the grip safety could very well be a good thing. It could potentially save your life or the life of an innocent bystander. If you have enough control of the gun to point it at the BG, then you likely have enough of a grip to disengage the grip safety thereby allowing the gun to fire.
Old February 7, 2011, 01:44 AM   #27
Tactical Jackalope

Absolutely agreed! I'm not saying every gun should have it but I don't mind or look at a gun differently if it does have one. Especially a 1911, never noticed it was even there. Depends on the person. Same reason +1
Old February 7, 2011, 01:51 AM   #28
vikingextreme93

honestly of the people here in the real world that I know that have fired or own the XD I have never heard a complaint about the grip safety.
Old February 7, 2011, 02:23 AM   #29
bigghoss

Quote:
I believe the reason many 1911's have speed bumps is also the reason many of them have front cocking serrations and FLGR's. It's all about the show, not the go. I personally hate a speed bump on 1911 grip safety because I don't like the way it presses into my hand. I find them completely useless, and much prefer the bumpless ones.
that may be true. my springer has a GS with a speed bump and it feels good to me but I never had trouble with my other 1911 without the bump.
Old February 7, 2011, 06:53 AM   #30
4runnerman

I personally hate a speed bump on 1911 grip safety because I don't like the way it presses into my hand. I find them completely useless, and much prefer the bumpless ones

How does it press into yourhand?. It takes no pressure at all to push it in.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:38 AM   #31
Leejack

So guys can get on the internet and have something to complain about.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:51 AM   #32
jeepman4804

Quote:
honestly of the people here in the real world that I know that have fired or own the XD I have never heard a complaint about the grip safety.
I own one and carry it for work every day... I hate the grip safety. I have noticed that sometimes while doing malfunction drills I have to readjust my grip to get the gun out of battery. This is do to me jogging the gun slightly sideways to drop the mag and clear the gun. I also think it is pointless on a striker fired gun with a trigger safety and a long heavy pull.

On a 1911 it is a different story, and on a 1911 the grip safety does not lock the slide into battery...
Old February 7, 2011, 09:08 AM   #33
average

The concern for most people who dislike them lies with the fact that in a high stress situation not everyone takes a proper grip and stance and cooly alignes the sights and fires well aimed shots. It just doesnt always happen that way in the real world. When one must fire quickly in a less than ideal situation with a possibly injured hand, the gs could be seen by some as a liability.
Old February 7, 2011, 09:35 AM   #34
Auto426

Quote:
I personally hate a speed bump on 1911 grip safety because I don't like the way it presses into my hand. I find them completely useless, and much prefer the bumpless ones

How does it press into yourhand?. It takes no pressure at all to push it in.
Because with my hands and my grip on the gun the speed bump actually sticks out from the back of the fun and presses uncomfortably into my hand. A normal smooth 1911 GS also takes no effort at all to press in and is much more comfortable for me.
Old February 7, 2011, 01:10 PM   #35
verdun59

It's really a non issue; however there is a certain segment of people who love to repeat that the grip safety is a problem, and if that doesn't convince you that XDs aren't as good as xyz or g, then they will tell you the bore axis is tooooo high, or as the last resort that it's made in kro-a-sha. Personally I don't mind the safety and my XD9 is as accurate and reliable as any gun I own.
Old February 7, 2011, 01:20 PM   #36
Rick_A

personally i don't like it, i feel that it needs to be a little bit larger that way it COULD be disengaged with an improper grip. As to it being the same as a 1911 grip safety i would disagree. Most 1911 safeties seem alot bigger and easier to disengage.

But that's just ME
Old February 7, 2011, 01:37 PM   #37
ekgandj

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingextreme93 View Post
That is because the people who complain about it are mostly glock lovers and can not find anything else to complain about the gun.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 7, 2011, 01:37 PM   #38
4runnerman

It was actually the deciding factor in my wifes case.9MM xdm. Sweet pistol.Love it,Might have to claim it as my own
Old February 7, 2011, 04:06 PM   #39
DonutGuy

I don't like it, I prefer the feel of Glock, but I could get used to it. I just haven't owned any guns with grip safeties, but again I could get used to it I think.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:47 PM   #40
Iron Deacon

FWIT - used one for CCW practice...saw it was there, but never really noticed an effect on my grip or my shooting.

Personally, thought the XD was as comfortable to shoot as my Glocks...and I like my Glocks a lot.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:54 PM   #41
The Master Chief

I don't hate them. I think it is a great safety feature borrowed from a 100 yr old design.
Old February 7, 2011, 08:02 PM   #42
MythBuster

"personally i don't like it, i feel that it needs to be a little bit larger that way it COULD be disengaged with an improper grip. As to it being the same as a 1911 grip safety i would disagree. Most 1911 safeties seem alot bigger and easier to disengage."

That has not been my experience. I find the grip safety on the XD MUCH more foolproof than the 1911 grip safety.

I have never even once had an XD fail to fire from an improper grip. I can't say that about 1911's.
Old February 7, 2011, 08:04 PM   #43
SPUSCG

Id rather not have a grip safety, but it being there isn't a problem.
Old February 7, 2011, 08:07 PM   #44
khegglie

single action

Isnt the springfield a single action with the striker fully cocked unlike Glocks partial cocked ? Grip safety sounds like a good feature for the springer.
Old February 7, 2011, 08:26 PM   #45
gregjc9

Quote:
Reasons/excuses are aplenty:
1. It's one more item that can break.
2. Not holding the gun correctly will not allow the gun to fire.
3. Some just HAVE to find something to grip about the XD.
I had an XDm, I used it primarily in IDPA. I certainly didnt hate it, I did really like it. But I wished the grip safety was a little longer, more like a 1911. There were more than one occasions during matches that for various reasons, my grip was just incorrect enough that the XDm would not fire. Granted, my grip should have been correct, but when the SHTF, you're going to get excited, things go amiss, stuff happens. Just sayin .....

Greg
Old February 7, 2011, 08:30 PM   #46
Terry A

I like the XD grip safety, so not EVERY ONE 'hates" it!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old February 7, 2011, 09:45 PM   #47
Catfishman

Quote:
I had an XDm, I used it primarily in IDPA. I certainly didnt hate it, I did really like it. But I wished the grip safety was a little longer, more like a 1911. There were more than one occasions during matches that for various reasons, my grip was just incorrect enough that the XDm would not fire. Granted, my grip should have been correct, but when the SHTF, you're going to get excited, things go amiss, stuff happens. Just sayin .....
This ends the discussion for me. I see little to no benefit and one more thing to worry about.
Old February 7, 2011, 10:17 PM   #48
flyinpolack

Grip safeties, goofy trigger safeties, built in locks.
All BS, put in place to appease the liberal politicians.
All extra crap that'll screw you when you need it most..
I won't own a gun with any of that BS.
Old February 8, 2011, 08:48 AM   #49
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinpolack View Post
Grip safeties, goofy trigger safeties, built in locks.
All BS, put in place to appease the liberal politicians.
All extra crap that'll screw you when you need it most..
I won't own a gun with any of that BS.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lol I like this guy
Old February 8, 2011, 08:57 AM   #50
peacefulgary

Quote:
I have noticed that sometimes while doing malfunction drills I have to readjust my grip to get the gun out of battery. This is do to me jogging the gun slightly sideways to drop the mag and clear the gun. I also think it is pointless on a striker fired gun with a trigger safety and a long heavy pull.

On a 1911 it is a different story, and on a 1911 the grip safety does not lock the slide into battery...
Same here.
When doing a stoppage drill it can sometimes be difficult to get the grip-safety to disengage.
Closed Thread