The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 11, 2009, 08:30 PM   #1
olyinaz

My high shootin' 1851 update

Just wanted to give a quick update on my aforementioned Pietta 1851 Colt brasser that came to me stock shooting about 10" high. I fabricated a new front sight post from brass bar stock (Ace Hardware) just as a first effort and judging from the photo I'd say I got it pretty close.

This group was actually my last cylinder, after I'd switch to black powder from American Pioneer and the gun was so filthy it was getting hard to turn the cylinder. This was 15 yards off hand with 32gr of German Scheutzen (seems like perfectly nice BP) and my point about the gun being filthy was that initially I was shooting 35gr. of Am. Pioneer and the groups were smaller and a bit closer to right on elevation when the gun was clean and my hands & eyes were still fresh. It still shot a bit left in all cases however. Could be the shooter of course but honestly this gun doesn't seem to be one that makes me flinch or pull shots so I think it's just shooting a tad left but we'll see.

I will say this, a bunch of fools with Glocks ran me off the range today and I'm still a bit miffed over it. The straw that broke the camel's back was the time I was down range putting up a new target and when I turned around to come back I saw, to my surprise and disgust, that two of them had their guns in their hands at their stations and were fiddling with them...DAMN that chaps my hide! And to a man they were blazing away at 10 yards and shooting pie plate sized groups. Friggen yahoos...

Now the Glock is a fine Austrian weapon and I'm not disparaging the firearm in any way but when a an old duffer with a dreaded brass frame 1851 Italian Colt knockoff is the guy shooting the smaller groups at longer yardage then something's wrong with this picture and it ain't the guns! OK...rant over...

Getting back to the 1851, now I know how high my sight needs to be so all I've left is a decision how to style it. What do you think of the tall post? I could fashion one that looks more like a Remington post. Have you seen the coin front sight blades? What do you think of those? I could even buy an old Indian head penny or buffalo nickel to use for it I suppose...might be kind of neat.

Comments welcome.

Thanks,
Oly
Old May 11, 2009, 08:45 PM   #2
long rider

Looks good but if you have a holster it may
cause you a prob when you holster your gun?
Old May 12, 2009, 12:04 AM   #3
olyinaz

>>>Looks good but if you have a holster it may cause you a prob when you holster your gun?<<<

I think long term that's the issue. From a height perspective this thing is about the same as many blades on many kinds of revolvers but it definitely is a pointy post and that's going to be an issue I think.

A combination of a less radical blade and a deeper notch in the hammer (that I can nudge a bit for the windage correction) is starting to look like the end game here.

And did I mention that the bolt is peening the heck out of the cylinder notches? That's the next project...

Cheers,
Oly
Old May 12, 2009, 05:38 AM   #4
mykeal

Quote:
I was down range putting up a new target and when I turned around to come back I saw, to my surprise and disgust, that two of them had their guns in their hands at their stations
That's cause for suspension at my club. If you don't have an RSO on duty then you need to make the range owner aware of the safety violation and request his corrective action.
Old May 12, 2009, 06:17 AM   #5
Dingoboyx

Looks good Oly

I think, unless you are going to do any 'fast draw' it shouldnt be too hard on your holster. If you decide to change it later for a coin or similar, at least you know the correct height it has to be
Old May 12, 2009, 06:20 AM   #6
CaptainCrossman

whatever it takes to get it to shoot right, you fixed it. Good work.

on the range rovers w/Glocks- personally I don't much like Glocks, a poor excuse for a 1911 Colt 45 ACP

I hear ya- we showed up at the local shooting spot, with a highpower rifle varmint gun 22-250, to try and shoot some sub-1 minute groups at range- and a couple guys were there shooting old refrigerators with pump shotguns and slugs/buckshot...

kinda breaks one's concentration

Oly, what caliber is that ? if the forcing cone long, or short ?
Old May 12, 2009, 09:24 AM   #7
olyinaz

>>>That's cause for suspension at my club. If you don't have an RSO on duty then you need to make the range owner aware of the safety violation and request his corrective action.<<<

I did bring it to the attention of the RSO and he stormed off to administer some additional corrective action. I've only been associated with this club for a short time now so I'm still getting a feel for things. The RSOs have a tough job keeping an eye on three active ranges at once and some are more aggressive than others is what I've learned so far. Honestly it's my only reasonable option for shooting where I live - everything else is a 45 minute drive or more away - so I'll get active in fixing the joint before I skedaddle but I hope it doesn't come to that.

Thanks,
Oly
Old May 12, 2009, 09:25 AM   #8
olyinaz

>>>I think, unless you are going to do any 'fast draw' it shouldnt be too hard on your holster.<<<

Yeah, it's working fine as is but I do think I can do better. Going to work on it today some if I get the time.

Thanks,
Oly
Old May 12, 2009, 10:02 AM   #9
arcticap

Nice sight & good shooting! Along with the Colt's hammer notch a pointed tip promotes precision shooting.
I also like it because it reminds me of this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 400px-Washington_Monument_Above_Treesa50%.jpg (10.9 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by arcticap; May 12, 2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:28 AM   #10
olyinaz

>>>Oly, what caliber is that ? if the forcing cone long, or short?<<<

It's a .44, which doesn't make much sense for a brasser but I suppose it's all about marketing.

I'm not sure what you mean by the long/short forcing cone. It is what it is and I don't have a means to judge it.

Regards,
Oly
Old May 12, 2009, 10:32 AM   #11
olyinaz

>>>Along with the Colt's hammer notch a pointed tip promotes precision shooting. <<<

I absolutely agree with you there. It's not a fast acquire type of sight but as you say it's very precise and I enjoy shooting with it.

Cheers,
Oly
Old May 12, 2009, 06:34 PM   #12
crstrode

Olyinaz, how did you get the old sight out?
Old May 12, 2009, 07:10 PM   #13
musicman

Yes and about how much longer did you make the new one? John
Old May 12, 2009, 08:08 PM   #14
olyinaz

>>>Oly, how did you get the old sight out?<<<

It was pressed in and popped right out of the hole with not much tugging.

>>>Yes and about how much longer did you make the new one?<<<

The original was about an eighth of an inch high and this one is just a smidge over 5/16ths.

Oly