The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 17, 2005, 10:33 PM   #1
kjm

Where to find a Pennsylvania Long Rifle Replica?

I am looking for a Pennsylvania Long Rifle replica or kit that is of decent quality. Anybody know of a good company or if I buy used, what brands are the better ones and what brands are the ones to avoid. It will be shot a bunch, but probably not hunted much.

Thanks in advance!
Old April 17, 2005, 10:55 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Best quality kits that I've built are from Jim Chambers. Jim has the best locks in the business. If you ever get to Friendship, IN in the beginning of June, you can drop into the National Matches there and talk with numerous builders. You don't have to go big name either as there are a lot of little guys whose skills are up there.

Pick up a copy of Muzzle Blasts magazine (NMLRA) and you'll see lotsa builders in it who will build what you want for you.
Old April 17, 2005, 11:13 PM   #3
kjm

Thanks. I'll check that out. I might have a job interpreting Texas in the 1820's and 30's and thought that I should have more than just academic knowledge of the subject. My wife might even permit it without much discord!

If I get one and decide to use it at work, I wonder if I could write it off? I won't push my luck. If they thought I needed one, I suppose they'd give me one.

Thanks again.
Old April 18, 2005, 12:44 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Fur trade era (Mountain Man)

While some long rifles probably did reach the plains, a mountain rifle would be closer to what you may want. They were characterized by being bigger bore, shorter barrel and heavier (beefier) stock to withstand the rigors of travel. The modern Hawkins kinda-sorta looks like it, but a closer match would be the Lyman Great Plains in flintlock. Even the Lyman is suppose to be thinner barrel than the older guns.
Old April 24, 2005, 09:02 AM   #5
Two Flints

Repro Pennsylvania Rifle

KJM,

You might want to give Tennessee Valley Manufacturing (TVM) in Corinth, Mississippi a call. They produce some great rifles at good prices in every configuration you can think of. I have three of their Flintlocks and they are great shooters. My pride and joy is an old style Virginia Flintlock with a 44" barrel in 50 caliber. They have a catalog that shows all the possible options. They have a Lancaster model, a Jaeger model, and a Leman model. Their number is 610-286-5014.

Two Flints
SSS Moderator
Old April 24, 2005, 06:16 PM   #6
TerminalVelocity16

Cherry's Firearms
http://www.cherrys.com/ped_rif1.htm
Old April 25, 2005, 06:26 AM   #7
David Todd

You can get a kit from Track of the Wolf that is a direct dopy of Jim Btidger's or Kit Carson's rifle, I think that would be what you are looking for, unless you want a copy of Davey Crockett's rifle.
I don't know what he used when he went to Texas.
David