The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 13, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Microgunner

He pulled a pistol out of his pocket

It just happened again. I can't even remember how many times this has happened to me in the course of my pawn broker duties. A guy just walked in, looked me in the eye, reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a pistol to pawn. The urge to defend myself was almost overwhelming. How stupid can people get? The funny part, if there can be one, is he thinks he's being cool, in the know, a gunslinger. This is what happens when people receive their training at the movies. Idiot!
Old February 13, 2010, 01:32 PM   #2
SpookBoy

i'm glad you didn't jump the gun lol

seirously,dumb! im sorry brother, i would've been just as nervous. i mean i know you prob have a sign out front,like 100% of every gun/ pawn and gun stores.Luckily you wernt shot

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by SpookBoy; February 13, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Doc Intrepid

I believe if I were in your line of work, I'd wear a kevlar vest.

And I'd prominently mount a sign somewhere so that all but the illiterate could not miss it; something along the lines of "bring your guns in in a paper bag - pull a gun on me and you won't do it twice", or something to that effect.

It's actually a wonder that more dumbasses don't get shot pulling that sort of stunt...
Old February 13, 2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

My response would be "That's a good way to get shot, idiot. Now get out of my business and don't come back."
Old February 13, 2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Microgunner

Quote:
It's actually a wonder that more dumbasses don't get shot pulling that sort of stunt...
I severely reprimanded him and told him I was more mad at myself for waiting to see what he intended to do with that pistol instead of shooting him. I informed him that, right now, I should be on the phone to 911 trying to get someone here to save his life. Then Stanley Steemer to try to get his blood out of the carpet. He apologized and we conducted our business.
Old February 13, 2010, 04:26 PM   #6
retiredcoasty

I would have told him the following:

It is company policy to NOT purchase firearms from complete morons as they probably did not properly care for the firearm. And you are obviously a moron because you don’t even realize that you nearly reached room temperature when you pulled that pistol out without proper warning.
Old February 13, 2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Microgunner

Quote:
And you are obviously a moron because you don’t even realize that you nearly reached room temperature when you pulled that pistol out without proper warning.
LOL!
Old February 14, 2010, 02:37 AM   #8
fastforty

He should have been staring down a barrel before he got his hand halfway out of his pocket. Next time, it could well be a loaded gun- you have every right to defend yourself.

I *never* take a gun into a gun store without going in and talking to someone about doing so FIRST. In one of the stores that I frequent, they have a big 12"x12" wooden post floor to ceiling at the end of the glass counter. It never rang a bell what it was there for (or why the salesman always stood next to it) until one day when a couple of clowns came walking through the door with a shotgun in their hands. Salesman was behind that post in an *instant*, ready to clear leather.
Old February 14, 2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
It just happened again. I can't even remember how many times this has happened to me in the course of my pawn broker duties. A guy just walked in, looked me in the eye, reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a pistol to pawn.
We had this happen several times over the years in our pawnshops. Often, the guns were loaded as well. The funny thing is that they wanted to pawn loaded guns so that they would have a loaded guns when they reclaimed them. As a matter of safety and reduced hassle, we did not take ammo, either loaded or separate, in with the gun.
Old February 14, 2010, 12:36 PM   #10
old bear

Suggestions for caring a handgun into a store:

1-Make sure that weapon is unloaded.
2-With an auto loader lock slide open. If a revolver keep cylinder open.
3-Hold weapon by the barrel or slide in LEFT hand with the butt pointing away from your body.
4-Clearly announce, don’t yell, that you have a weapon that needs service or you wish to sell, or whatever the case may be.

The above should eliminate any confusion as to your intentions.
Old February 14, 2010, 12:53 PM   #11
rbernie

Seen in a pawn shop in NoVA that did a heavy business in guns - "Don't draw on us, and we won't draw on you.."
Old February 14, 2010, 02:58 PM   #12
raftman

Quote:
1-Make sure that weapon is unloaded.
2-With an auto loader lock slide open. If a revolver keep cylinder open.
3-Hold weapon by the barrel or slide in LEFT hand with the butt pointing away from your body.
4-Clearly announce, don’t yell, that you have a weapon that needs service or you wish to sell, or whatever the case may be.
Yep. Although some semi-autos don't have a means by which to lock the slide open, and some revolvers are neither swing-out or break-top.

One thing I've always done when bringing a pistol into a shop either for service or for sale/trade is to bring it in a hard case. If possible, keep it in the case with the magazine out, action open, etc. I feel it's less threatening than just about any other means of coming in with a gun in hand.
Old February 14, 2010, 03:10 PM   #13
ratrodfink

A case wouldn't kill ya or get you killed.
Old February 14, 2010, 11:30 PM   #14
Wagonman

When I bring a gun in for any reason it is in a hard case and I ask the clerk to handle it.
Old February 15, 2010, 12:05 AM   #15
DanimalFL

I'm sure in the pawn business you need a certain mentality.
Just like in the Leo community, when some officers come across someone with CCW they make them get out of the car disarm them and make a huge deal out of nothing. Then on the other hand you have a Game & Fish officer who everybody he comes in contact with is armed and usually 4-5 to one and
back up is an hour away. Most of the first kind of officers don't have the mentality to be a G&F officer. So if you are going to pawn guns you need put up a huge sign because not everybody is going to know what pawnshop protocol is.
Old February 15, 2010, 12:24 AM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Only a couple weeks after I had to do a gun transaction at a pawn shop, he changed his signage.

Seems my initial walk in and tell him I was there with weapons in the truck was something he thought about and liked and now has a hand written sign saying something like...
"If you are here to pawn or sell a firearm, leave it in the vehicle and come in first with your ID then return for weapon."

I went in first without the gun as I did not know his protocol and just went the safest route.
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; February 15, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old February 16, 2010, 01:34 PM   #17
Stevie-Ray

Simple sign: All guns must be cased. Neither of the pawn shops in my area have those.
Old March 5, 2010, 05:18 AM   #18
dberry

I miss working in a pawn shop it was extremely interesting. We had some situations like that. I always carried when I worked at the pawn counter. Alot of people who came in and were acting unsafe with their firearms when questioned were found to be wanting to pawn a firearm that was not theirs in the first place. We always got a kick out of people who brought something in that they said was theirs and it works perfectly when asked but when going to test it out they had no idea how to even turn the item on.
Old March 5, 2010, 09:01 AM   #19
Microgunner

Yeah, watching the thief trying to figure out how to start the gasoline powered tool they're wanting to pawn always gives us a chuckle. Of course this automatically disqualifies them from pawning at our shops.
Old March 5, 2010, 11:39 AM   #20
Skans

Why don't you just post the procedure for bringing guns in for pawn right on your door? Something like:

WARNING

1. All guns for pawn must be BOXED and UNLOADED.

2. Flashing any firearm, loaded or unloaded, will be presumed to be an armed robbery and cause a loaded firearm to be aimed at you.

3. Do not draw any gun from a holster, pocket or other place on your body while in this shop.

Just wondering if something like that might work?
Old March 5, 2010, 03:18 PM   #21
Microgunner

Very well thought out.
Old March 5, 2010, 04:05 PM   #22
TenRing

Since this has happened to you before, I'm surprised that you haven't put up a warning sign before now. You can never tell what an idiot might do. Even with the sign, you could still have some folks claim that they didn't see it. You should also have a pictorial along with the wording for those who aren't so literate. I'm thinking a picture of a gun in a circle with a red line through it.
Old March 5, 2010, 04:12 PM   #23
howwie

WOW this guy is nuts. I know a few pawn shop owners The one time I carried an uncased gun into a shop to have it looked at for a friend. (who didnt have a case) I went in, talked to the guy, told him what I was about to bring in and that it would be locked open unloaded... and i was still uncomfortable. People really just don't think sometimes...
Old March 5, 2010, 09:12 PM   #24
ritepath

Well I'm sure he need the drugs pretty bad....Did he ask you what you'd give him for a NIB flatscreen if he went and charged it at Wal-Mart.
Old March 5, 2010, 09:22 PM   #25
jad0110

Quote:
Well I'm sure he need the drugs pretty bad
Well, that would explain the scrambled eggs inside is cranium, wouldn't it?

Frickin' idiot.