The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 2, 2009, 03:15 PM   #1
tyrajam

Shot a badger

I know you kansas and dakota guys will roll your eyes and say big freakin deal, but it was the first badger I ever shot and I'm excited! I was on my anual prarie dog shoot and saw this guy peaking out of a whole to see what the fuss was about. What a nasty, stinky creature! I'm bleaching the skull right now, its pretty cool.
Oh yeah, shot it with a 223 with a 55gr dogtown (hornady super explosive) loaded over 25.5gr of varget, right below the shoulder and through the heart, didn't even move an inch. Tiny entrance hole, no exit, might try it as a coyote fur round this winter.

Old July 2, 2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Pahoo

WHY ???

Quote:
What a nasty, stinky creature! I'm bleaching the skull right now, its pretty cool.
I suppose ???

Be Safe !!!
Old July 2, 2009, 04:00 PM   #3
davlandrum

Are they "varmits" there? Here they are fur-bearers, I am pretty sure. I have not taken the time to get my trappers license, so have to leave fur-bearers alone...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 2, 2009, 04:06 PM   #4
tyrajam

Yea, there they can be shot all year along with coyotes, and the rancher told me to shoot em if we see em!
Old July 2, 2009, 04:14 PM   #5
VaFisher

That's a cool looking animal that I would love to see one while out hunting or any other time for that matter. I might would shoot one to tan the hide and bleech the skull so I understand others on the subject, bet they make into a heck of a nice detailed looking hide.
Old July 2, 2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Pahoo

Quote:
the rancher told me to shoot em if we see em!
Good reason and bin thar and dun that !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old July 2, 2009, 04:24 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I hear they have 2 attitudes... If'n you don't like this'n... you dang sho won't like the other one!
Brent
Old July 2, 2009, 04:24 PM   #8
davlandrum

I might opt for a full-body mount and put it in my kids room to watch over them at night....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 2, 2009, 04:37 PM   #9
JWT

A critter like that deserves a full body mount, not a skull bleach job.
Old July 2, 2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

Agreed. That critter would be a great full body or at least a shoulder mount here in Kentucky. I don't see too many badgers in this part of the world.
Old July 2, 2009, 10:02 PM   #11
banditt007

I hear these things are pretty nasty and don't back down to even larger animals. With the teeth on it, it looks pretty serious. How big are they / weight? Also i would have definitly had that thing full body mounted! What is with it smelling?
Old July 2, 2009, 10:27 PM   #12
tyrajam

I am tanning the hide, having shot it in June the fur isn't real thick, but its still ok. I am hoping to do a small rug and order a head from a taxidermy shop, kind of like a miniture bear rug. I thought it was pretty cool, not sure where the wife will let me put it though!

As far as the stinking, they are members of the weasle family and have serious musk glands, I was careful not to cut them, but still the fur, gristle, fat, and everything stinks like it. Now that the skin is dry its not bad, but fleshing it was the nastiest thing! And it was unbelievable the amount of muscle in the neck and on the head! I would hate to tangle with one of these things alive!

Quote:
I might opt for a full-body mount and put it in my kids room to watch over them at night....
All I can say is Dave, I like the way you think!
Old July 2, 2009, 10:31 PM   #13
cornbush

They are nasty, had one chase me on a three wheeler one day after I shot it with a 22 5 or 6 times. Don't know what the odor is caused by, but they do stink. My grandpa used to have us shoot every badger we saw, if a horse steps in their hole they can break a leg pretty easy. Their fur makes some of the best winter hats and mittens you will come by, so if the pelt is in good shape and you bag a couple make yourself an Elmer Fudd hat, the claws sometimes go for a little money too.
Old July 2, 2009, 10:45 PM   #14
djohn

Dont mess with a honey badger,they are extremley nasty and there fearless creatures.With there sharp claws they are capable of digging a hole faster then a person with a shovel.Get close to one of them especially with a liter you will need a gun to survive.By the way Nice shooting, thats one big badger.
Old July 2, 2009, 11:09 PM   #15
barnetmill

Quote:
Dave: Dont mess with a honey badger,they are extremley nasty and there fearless creatures.With there sharp claws they are capable of digging a hole faster then a person with a shovel.Get close to one of them especially with a liter you will need a gun to survive.By the way Nice shooting, thats one big badger
Honey badgers or ratels are african and do not normally occur in our part of the world. I cannot imagine a ratel being worse than a badger which is bad enough. I do wonder relative to a wolverine and a badger as to which would win a fight.
Old July 2, 2009, 11:29 PM   #16
mwlu711

they make awsome hats
Old July 2, 2009, 11:34 PM   #17
djohn

Just looked up the wolverine.looks like a small bear.
Old July 3, 2009, 01:03 AM   #18
wyobohunter

Quote:
What is with it smelling
They are a member of the weasel family. The smell is weasel musk.

Quote:
I do wonder relative to a wolverine and a badger as to which would win a fight.
Wolverine, hands down. Wolverines AKA Skunkbears are the largest member of the Weasel family and will make a grizzly bear back down out of shear crazy mean behavior.
Old July 3, 2009, 12:46 PM   #19
Pahoo

I've had a hat and a wall rug and both were pretty neat. Several years back, got a stern warning from a fellow Buckskinner about wearing a Badger claw necklace. This was at a Rondezvous in Wisconsin. Needless to say, I don't wear it anymore. The pelts are beautiful !!

Be Safe !!!!
Old July 3, 2009, 05:15 PM   #20
mwlu711

my grandad had apet badger once said it was a fine pet.pahoo pardo my ignoranc but wat was wrong with the necklace?
Old July 3, 2009, 05:35 PM   #21
tyrajam

Wisconsin Badgers is the college team, so you don't insult badgers in Wisconsin

A pet badger is the absolute last thing I would ever want to see!
Old July 3, 2009, 07:24 PM   #22
Pahoo

Quote:
but wat was wrong with the necklace?
Perhaps somone was blowing smoke but was told that in Wisconsin, you can't have this kind of artifacts or any badger parts. Suppose that would include the pelt as well. Just didn't want to upset the natives. I finally gave it to a Vet, friend of mine. Have made a couple and some black bear as well. Some hog tusk as well and use to show folks how they cut paper like a razor. Never got ahold of any Grizz but have some Polar Bear and they are huge and nasty. They have a small barb on the quick end of the claw. Wonder why ??

Be Safe !!!!
Old July 3, 2009, 07:50 PM   #23
liberty1

I shot one here in Colorado about 10 years ago and had a nice rug made out of it and bleached the skull also. I just dropped the whole thing off at the taxidermist and let him skin the smelly thing. I have only seen 2 of them ever in this part of the state and having grown up in Wisconsin was tickled to shoot what would be a protected animal there.
Old July 3, 2009, 07:50 PM   #24
gun nut

Nice job on the badger! Nothing worse than driving through a field and hitting one of their holes. When I trapped they. Were the meanest thing I ever caught and (except for skunks) the smelliest!!
Old July 3, 2009, 08:20 PM   #25
langenc

I caught one when they were protected. I wish Id had a camera cause it is hard to explain the size of the pile of sand that was excuvated by the critter, with one front paw-the other was in the trap.

I reported it to the DNR and went to work. They released it.
They became legal to trap 3 or 4 years ago. Up until last year it was illegal to shoot it, after legally trapping.?? We trappers got that fixed, finally.