The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 28, 2008, 08:12 PM   #1
BigDinOC

Approved IDPA Gun List

Is there a published approved gun list for each division in IDPA? I could not find one on their website. I found the gun criteria for each division but, not a list.

Thanks.
Old February 28, 2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Jim Watson

There is no list. A gun meets the criteria and may be entered in the appropriate division(s) of IDPA or it does not and may not.

Do you have or want some specific gun you cannot apply the criteria to?
Old February 28, 2008, 11:01 PM   #3
BigDinOC

Just looking for something American Made in 45cal. to use in IDPA (SSP) division and in one or more divisions of USPSA. I guess that it would be a starter pistol.

Thanks all.
Old February 29, 2008, 04:10 PM   #4
KimberDen

American made 45 for SSP

Off the top of my head I can't think of any that would be competitive in SSP. DA/SA Rugers are below division capacity and their triggers are way too heavy. That division is pretty much all Glocks and Sigs; most of those in 9mm.
Old February 29, 2008, 04:56 PM   #5
RickB

.45 is not a good caliber for SSP, or the obvious USPSA counterpart, Production. Both sports reward 9mm chamberings in their "stock" divisions. If you do want a U.S.-made .45 that's legal, I'd say there's not much other than the Smith & Wesson M&P, a couple of Rugers, and the Smith & Wesson 3rd Generation autos, the last of which aren't even in production anymore IIRC. Of course, all those guns are also legal in other IDPA and USPSA divisions, where their caliber/power, and perhaps capacity limitations aren't issues.
Old February 29, 2008, 05:01 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Quote:
American Made in 45cal. to use in IDPA (SSP) division and in one or more divisions of USPSA.
The only thing I know offhand that would serve the purpose is a Smith & Wesson Plastic M&P .45.
Made in USA.
Load with 10+1 midrange (power factor 125+) .45 rounds and shoot IDPA SSP (or ESP) or USPSA Production.
Load with 8+1 standard (power factor 165+) .45 rounds and shoot IDPA CDP.
Load with 10+1 standard (power factor 165+) .45 rounds and shoot USPSA Limited-10.

A very versatile gun; one of our guys bought one for the purpose of shooting multiple divisions and was getting pretty sharp with it until he had a stuck bullet, blew it out, and bulged the barrel. He is saving up to pay UPS extortion to send it in for repair.