The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 11, 2002, 11:11 PM   #1
Bill Siegle

Glocks and cans

I was wondering if Glock pistols(particularly 17s and 21s) are up to the challenges of suppressors. I have heard rumors that they don't mix so I am requesting some qualified opinions please.
Old May 12, 2002, 01:33 AM   #2
Badger Arms

Glocks have a recoil operated tilting barrel operation. This method of operation is common and utilized by most pistols in 9mm and more powerful rounds. The problem with these systems is that they are sensative to the mass of the supressor. There is nothing different or special about the Glock as opposed to nearly every other Browning locking system guns on the market. You either need a light supressor or an inertia system that allows the slide and barrel to recoil separate the supressor. This is simpler than it sounds but does add to the cost and complexity of the system and reliability is therefore reduced slightly.

IMO, if you want to supress the gun, choose an in-line recoiling system like th Beretta M-9 or, beter yet, a fixed barrel gun like the HK P-7 or Makarov. Yeah, yeah, easier said than done but it is better to start from there than try to work around it.

One final note, for better suppression, there are systems that lock the slide so that the gun turns into a single shot. Much quieter.
Old May 12, 2002, 02:41 AM   #3
Bill Siegle

didn't even consider the HK. I wonder what a new barrel would run. I assume an older PSP P7 wouldn't have any problems. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old May 12, 2002, 01:00 PM   #4
Badger Arms

Don't get me wrong, you end up paying more for the suppressed than you would have to for a proper supressor and Glock. I was just speaking academically. A great part of the equation is what use you plan on having for the device. Is it for more pleasant target practice, for occasional use on a duty weapon (indoors for instance), for the sake of having one, etc. If you have the extra money to spend and just want a suppressed pistol, go for it. Being in a Class III state, you might want to start with a really quiet gun like an integrally suppressed Ruger .22 rifle or pistol. Here are some manufacturers of Class III stuff:

AAC
AWC
Gemtech