The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: What is the best value as far as quality and quality of amunition reloaded.
Lee Progressive 1000 4 6.15%
Lee Load Master 6 9.23%
Hornady LNL 25 38.46%
RCBS Piggy Back 2 3.08%
Dillon Square Deal B 5 7.69%
Dillon 550 18 27.69%
Lyman Turret T-Mag 4 6.15%
Redding Turret T-7 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 17, 2010, 09:17 AM   #1
t45

The best progressive/turret press for the money

Guys, Im in the market for a progressive manual or auto indexing press to load 45acp. I have the single stage presses but wanted to upgrade. Just wanted to start a poll of what presses get the most votes for value and quality.
Old October 17, 2010, 09:41 AM   #2
jmortimer

The easy winner here is Lee Precision Classic Turret. Dollar for Dollar it blows the doors off everything else. So I could not vote.
Old October 17, 2010, 09:56 AM   #3
t45

Sorry about that. I should have included it with the poll. I have looked into the Lee turret also. So many presses, thats the reason why I started this poll. Im happy with my single stage presses but have spent a lot of money to get where I want to be with my reloading as Im sure alot of other guys have. I need your guys help on a progressive/turret press so I can make a more educated decision.
Old October 17, 2010, 10:02 AM   #4
rwilson452

I would agree the Lee Classic turret is a "best buy". However if you need a true progressive I would suggest the Load Master is a good buy if your mechanically inclined and need more output than a turret.

ADD:

You will now hear from the blue crew.
Old October 17, 2010, 10:15 AM   #5
TXGunNut

Hmm...right on cue, Mr Wilson...
My 550 predates many in the poll and I can't say if I'd make the same choice today. But since it's already bolted to my bench with a history of just under 100K competition quality rounds I'd say for me, it's the best press for the money.
To be fair I couldn't vote and to be accurate this poll should only include respondents who own or have used two or more of the choices. What we'll see is a parade of "mine's better" but for you something else may be better. It would be helpful to know why each loader chose his machine and why. Also if it met his needs.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 17, 2010, 10:32 AM   #6
flashhole

i'm in mortimers camp - Lee Precision Classic Turret - so i couldn't vote either

Are you ready for civil war?
Old October 17, 2010, 11:10 AM   #7
rwilson452

The 550 is a great press. My question has always been, "Is it a true progressive?" as it doesn't auto index. THe Lee turret can auto index but is still a turret. Seems the devil is in the details. The Lee turret system makes changing over to another cartridge real easy and relatively cheap compared to the Dillon system. There are a lot of factors. What makes one press better than another often is a case of the actual individual users activity. I admit I have never owned a Dillon but I have used a 550. At one time when I was thinking about getting serious about competition with .45ACP I though long and had about a Dillon 1050. I figured I just didn't have the pocket book to go that was. I still use my pistols and carry on a regular basis. but most of my loading of late has been on my Lee Classic Cast for my varmint rifles.

Quote:
Hmm...right on cue, Mr Wilson...
My 550 predates many in the poll and I can't say if I'd make the same choice today. But since it's already bolted to my bench with a history of just under 100K competition quality rounds I'd say for me, it's the best press for the money.
To be fair I couldn't vote and to be accurate this poll should only include respondents who own or have used two or more of the choices. What we'll see is a parade of "mine's better" but for you something else may be better. It would be helpful to know why each loader chose his machine and why. Also if it met his needs.
Old October 17, 2010, 11:12 AM   #8
Real Gun

First you have to make a choice between a progressive or a turret so you are not asking people to vote for apples vs. oranges.
Old October 17, 2010, 11:31 AM   #9
Crankylove

The only progressive I have actually used is my brothers Dillon 450.........which it looks like they aren't trying very hard to sell any more. If I was buying a new progressive, my first choice would be the Hornady LNL.
Old October 17, 2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

We need more information to advise on YOUR choice

What quantity of 45 ACP will you be loading, both per month and per loading session?

Will you be able to leave your press set up permanently or will you have to put it away after each loading session?

How much space do you have for your loading area?

How much time do you have for loading?

Lastly, your personality: Are you a guy who is very methodical and NEVER leaves out a step or (confession time) capable of a degree of hap-hazardness from time to time?

I'll go first with the confession. I switched from my Lee Pro-1000 presses to a Lee Classic Turret because I had difficulty monitoring the multiple actions of the progressive. I actually made a checklist that I consulted as I worked the handle, finally boiling it down to a mantra I could chant as I worked the press. My safety precautions slowed my Pro-1000 to the point where I was barely three times as fast as my RockChucker single stage (die changes included, but not setup and teardown). I figured the Lee Turret could do as well, and after I bought one, was proved correct.

I load 150 to 500 rounds in a loading session and shoot maybe 300 centerfire a month at the max. I do not have a permanent loading bench and put everything away each session. I load multiple calibers (9mm, 357, 44, 45 ACP and 45Colt/454Casull), so the ability to swap dies and shell holder so easily as a Turret allows was an important part of my decision.

If you are a "Batch-Style" vs a "Through-Process" loader, a manually indexing turret or the Lee with the Auto-indexing turned off would do well. I suspect, since you are interested in progressives as well turrets that the Lee Auto-indexing or a progressive would be better for you. With those, you start from loose components and produce completed rounds in a continuous process. If you want to stop in the middle (e.g. to prime off-press) the progressives' advantages are largely negated.

The Lee Turrets (either version, Classic or Deluxe) are more compact than other turrets or most progressives, but only have 3 or 4 die stations (for the Deluxe) or 4 (for the Classic) and leave little space between dies or for any automatic powder dispenser other than the Lee powder measure because the turret rotates within a bearing ring. The other turrets rotate around a central axle and have a lot more room between dies and room for more dies.

I chose the Classic Turret because it is cast iron rather than aluminum, has a primer feed system cleaner than and superior in reliability to my Pro-1000, compact and easier and cheaper to switch calibers (just a $10 turret and no specialized shell plate). Those are my reasons for my choice.

Your choice will depend on your needs. Only one caliber. What quantity? Work area? Your work style.

Good Luck

Lost Sheep
Old October 17, 2010, 03:25 PM   #11
sonnycrockett

I just went through all this.......Started with a lee classic turret (the only lee turret worth buying),learned a bunch but soon realized it was too slow,4 pulls per bullet after 100 rounds my arm would get numb and irritated,plus on my best day I could only kick out 125 rounds an hour.. primer jams and OAL tweaks also slow ya down - It works but its sloppy ..great starter press for a person not shooting many rounds

switch a few months later to a dillon 550,not only is it 3-4 times faster
its one pull one bullet,my arms feels good again ...I did retain my lee pro auto disc and often use it on my 550 so I dont have to find my loads again and
overall the dillon has been so far trouble fee and never jammed for me yet

also consider resale value,dillon is the strongest when it comes time to sell or upgrade and lee on the other hand has the lowest resale value

Quality/Value Dillon FTW........

Last edited by sonnycrockett; October 18, 2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old October 17, 2010, 06:03 PM   #12
Pestman

The only thing about Dillon is everytime you need dies its a lot more money verse the other brands. Personally I have a Lee Classic Turret. If you shoot 1000 rounds per range session then get the Dillon. If you shoot a few hundred then the Lee should be no problem.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:44 PM   #13
Jeff H

Another vote for the Lee Classic turret. If I had to pick one on the poll it would be the Hornday LNL because I don't have the budget for a Dillon.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:59 PM   #14
noylj

I have used Hornday L-N-L, 550, and 650. Without a case feeder, the Hornady is still a joy to use and the Dillons are a PITA because you have to load the empty case into the right rear of the shell plate. Doing all the case and bullet handling with the left hand is just so much easier.
If I was on a tight budget, I would get the Lee Classic Turret because it has auto-indexing. The other turrets just have a place to store dies.
If I was on a very tight budget, I would get Lee's little "C" press for $25 (or as a package with Lee's Loading Book).
You see, though, that the idea of what press is the best value all depends on what value each person puts on the press. I could load with any single-stage or turret press but, for me, anything less than the Hornady L-N-L AP is NOT of much value to me.
Currently, I have three 1050s. They are too expensive, and caliber conversion is a real profit center for Dillon, but they are just a joy to use.
Old October 18, 2010, 12:56 AM   #15
Jim243

I too did not vote. Never used any you have listed. I also use the Lee Classic Turret Press. But it gives me complete control over each step of the reloading process. Progressive presses try to do 4 or 5 things at the same time. I never feel comfortable with that. Besides, it's not the cost of the press and equipment that will kill you (that's a one time cost), it's the cost of the bullets. If I loaded 300 or 400 rounds in an hour, I would only be able to use the press one or two hours every 2 months. I enjoy reloading too much to make it that automated (I reload every week). I find loading 100 or 200 rounds more than sufficient for my needs and then I change to a different caliber (13 sets of dies) and try out a new load for something else. Using a Turret Press is faster than a single stage and using a progressive is much faster than a Turret press. Just not sure FASTER is BETTER when it comes to making ammo. Besides I have 20,000 rounds in storage now (7 years of reloading). What would I gain with a progressive? Another 50,000 rounds to store? Now if I had a FFL and was selling what I made, that would be a different story.

Good luck
Jim
Old October 18, 2010, 07:13 AM   #16
dlb435

For me, the best value was a used RCBS AmmoMaster. I picked one up on Ebay for $160.00. RCBS sent all the parts I needed for free. The best value I ever had was an old C-H 444 press I got at the gun shop for $15.00. If you are willing to take some time looking, there are some great deals out there. You just need to be willing and able to make all the repairs needed.
Old October 18, 2010, 12:44 PM   #17
asavo757

progres press

Sence you have the 45 dies the 550 would be a great idea if you were thinking dillon. You can get a 550 with out dies for a round the same price as the b-square w/dies. I've used the the two lee's you listed and didnt like then (just not my cup of t).The hor. lnl better but the dillon the best.I bought myself a 550 and have it set for 45 acp. and .357 mag. If you were local to the poconos (penn.) I'd say stop by and try the press.
Old October 18, 2010, 04:25 PM   #18
snuffy

The dillon 650 comes with the shell drop tube and the case feeder tube and bushing for the caliber you order it in. So, you can drop however many cases the tube will hold into it, then load until the tube runs empty. It also comes with the proper primer tube and disc installed and a low primer alarm. And the other size tube and disc.

The case feeder collator is an extra expense, that's the big blue bowl on the top. It keeps the tube filled as long as there's cases in it,,,---of course.

My loader in the pic is set up for .223, with a Hornady powder measure and Hornadies CAPD die,(Case Activated Powder Drop). That makes powder measuring a simple thing. I NEVER tried the large rifle charge bar.

It loads very accurate .223 shells, using surplus ball powder and normally 55 or 60 grain bullets. I even tried varget with 69 nosler match bullets, shot as good as my rifle , or my skills will. The bushy 20" H-bar will ocasionally do ¾ inch groups with the norm being 1". Not bad for a stock rifle with a timiney trigger.

I also have a Lee classic turret. I use it for load work ups, and small loading jobs. It's MUCH faster than a single stage, or can have the auto advance disabled, simply by removing the center/indexer shaft. Then it becomes like the other turrets, a single stage with a top hat!

My Bonanza co-ax has been taken off the bench. To make more room, and I don't load enough big rifle shells to use it anymore. A $200+ loader replaced by one less than half the cost!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 18, 2010, 05:54 PM   #19
Wrangler5

I started with a Lee Turret (when they only had 3 holes) and switched to a Lee Loadmaster 20+ years ago. I've loaded thousands of rounds on the Loadmaster, including 45 ACP, Colt and Auto Rim. It DOES take a bit of fiddling from time to time, and it does occasionally break a plastic part (usually the primer slider) but those parts are really cheap and you just keep a few on hand.

I find it easy to use as a semi-progressive when the need arises. For example, since I find it easier to fiddle with a bench mounted powder measure than try to calibrate 4 or 5 different charges with the press mounted powder measure, when I want to load a series of stepped charges with a new powder I'm trying will deprime, size and bell the mouth (with an empty powder measure in place) then remove the case to a loading block. After charging it's back into the press to seat and crimp bullets. You only handle the cases twice this way - the case feeder loads the case initially, then you take the empty out by hand and replace it after charging. If I wanted to prime by hand I could just leave the primer feeder empty, but I would still get a deprimed, sized and belled case with 3 handle pulls and only one manual action on the case (removing it from the shellplate.)

That said, I got frustrated with a particular problem I had last year and on a whim bought a used Square Deal B set up for 9mm - I load more 9mm than all other rounds combined. It doesn't have a case feeder, but once I had a mount set up that holds a bin of empty cases near my right hand it's almost as fast as the Loadmaster, and it has NEVER needed fiddling with. It too can do semi-progressive work conveniently. It has the shortest lever throw of any of my presses. Maybe it's just because it's newer, or because it feels more substantial to my hands, but I enjoy using the Square Deal a lot more than the Loadmaster, even though it's slightly slower on the output. If I were going to do ONLY one handgun caliber I would almost certainly buy a Square Deal over any Lee, even though it's more expensive.

But Dillon presses get expensive pretty fast when you add more calibers, especially if you add a powder measure for each caliber (so you can set it and forget it.) A caliber conversion for my Loadmaster runs $121 (parts, including powder measure, from Midway) while a comparable package for a Dillon Square Deal is $175 and for a 650 is $259. I have setups for 7 calibers on my Loadmaster - duplicating that with a Dillon 650 would be a REAL expense. So if you contemplate loading other calibers in the future, I'd say the Lee presses offer more bang for the buck.
Old October 20, 2010, 01:52 PM   #20
swmike

I voted for the Dillon 550 although I really prefer the XL-650. I shoot lots of 9mm and .223. Used to fumble along with a Lee progressive because the "Dealer" told me that IT was the best buy for the money. Might be cheap but after I fumbled along clearing powder from under the plate caused by a cheesy primer feed I put it away and finally bought what I should have to begin with. The press that does everything I want it to, make ammunition without delay or hassle. I dump cleaned cases in the case feeder, fill the powder hopper, load the primer tube, and start pulling the handle, putting bullets on top of cases as I go. This press is 3 years old now and has had ZERO stoppages in over 25,000 rounds of both .223 and 9mm. The way it is performing my grandsons will be using it long after I'm gone.

Yes it cost more. But buying one of these first, and not working up to it by "trying" lesser expensive alternatives, is less money overall.

Compared to buying even cheap "new" ammo, this setup has paid for itself several times over and has proven to be 100% reliable.

Wrangler5-

Don't buy full powder measures for the Dillon, just the mounting tube and slide bar. Put the mounting tube on the new tool head and just transfer the powder measure (one screw). The slide bar can then be changed in only a few seconds. I have one for each caliber and all I need to do is drop a couple of check charges before loading the new caliber. $18.95 for the bar and $10.50 for the "die". Beats the full cost of a powder measure and only adds about 5 mins.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Last edited by swmike; October 20, 2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old October 20, 2010, 02:50 PM   #21
dsv424

I too would have voted for the Lee Classic Turret, so unfortunately I can't vote either. It is such a versatile and reliable press IMO.
Old October 20, 2010, 05:12 PM   #22
billcarey

All progressives make bullets ok...but the best "value" to me is the one that makes them with the least hassle. In the list above that puts the Dillion 550 in my book as the best value.

There's a good reason Dillions are on the bench of commercial reloading shops and long time pro shooters. A question could be are you willing to justify spending a lot more to get the least problematic progressive...or do you want to spend less, "fiddle" to "make" it work...or take a chance on selling for 50 cents on the dollar to get a Dillion later?

bc
Old October 20, 2010, 05:24 PM   #23
jmorris

I didn’t answer your poll but the best for the money is generally the most you can afford, as long as you need quality, volume and don’t want to have to tinker with it to make it work.