The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 10, 2010, 07:16 PM   #1
James H

Ruffed grouse in N WI, MN

Anyone hunted N Wisconsin/Minnesota/Michigan for grouse this year? I'm thinking about buying an out of state license when I visit my parents back there over the holidays at the end of December and going up to the Chequamegon/Nicolet forests. I hunted in 2008 and grouse hunting seemed good in some areas, not so good in others. Anyone have any reports from that area for ruffed grouse?
Old December 10, 2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Gbro

Fair amout of Grouse this year in my area (I am 80<> miles N W of Duluth). Have never hunted them this late in the year, but each to his own.
Old December 11, 2010, 08:59 PM   #3
James H

Thanks Gbro,

Ya...doesn't seem like there would be that much change since 2008.

If you don't mind the colder weather, late season grouse are just as good as October. It can be better in some ways. No leaves on trees whatsoever, (at least we're I'll be hunting) and it seems like I can pinpoint habitat a bit better. They seem to congregate in the tag alder once it gets cold and there's some snow on the ground. How much snow is on the ground where you're at?

BTW, my families land is 30 mi S of Superior, W of the St. Croix. Tamarack and tag alder bog county. Really good grouse hunting in the peak years up there.
Old December 12, 2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Gbro

We are standing in 15-18 inches in most places. You probably will have more after yesterdays storm that went south of us.
As for hunting them this late, well I just have always felt that any that make it through the early part of the season and deer season are brood stock for next year. But hey that's just me
One of the other personal ethics I have practiced is to always let the 1st one of the season go.
I do that so as to instantly break old practices of keeping score. Can't shoot 10 straight when you let the 1st one go.
Old December 12, 2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Gbro

I spent the afternoon out looking for the perfect Christmas Tree and we did flush one grouse. My grandson took after it with a Ruger Mark II but didn't find it. The snow has settled to about 9" and easy walking with no crust. If the snow stays soft the grouse will fair well.
Old December 15, 2010, 12:21 PM   #6
sourdough44

If you have a spot in mind it sounds like a fine idea. The numbers seem to be up a little this year. I haven't really had the chance to hunt this late much recently, but if you can pull away from the visiting duties go for it. The last few days have been bitterly cold over here, like many areas. If you get temps in the upper 20's it will feel like a heatwave. It wouldn't bother me to leave the dog at home if it's real cold, so you don't have to worry about them freezing. I know some dogs are acclimated, I don't think my lab is included in that.
Old December 16, 2010, 01:30 AM   #7
James H

Thanks all...

My mom has already asked me to bring a chainsaw home, so I'm suspecting she's got some work for me to do...not sure how much. Maybe I can get away for a couple days or so. Sounds like the big snowstorm missed the north country? I think they got hit pretty hard in S WI this past weekend.

Gbro..

Are .22s legal for grouse in MN? I haven't hunted much in WI in the past ten years or so, but it was always shotgun only (and still is to my knowledge). I hadn't heard of shooting grouse with .22s until I moved to Oregon and some other western states.
Old December 16, 2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Gbro

There are no restrictions on what to use for small game in MN (to the best of my knowledge).
I guess we have to remember that the synopsis that we get with our license always has that wording like, Important!
Quote:
This is a summary of Minnesota’s hunting and trapping regulations.
For complete regulations, consult the state statutes and rules.
Quote:
Partridge and Pheasant
• A person may not shoot pheasants or Hungarian partridge with a
rifle or handgun other than a .22 caliber rimfire using short, long,
or long rifle ammunition.
I had a co-worker tell me earlier this fall that we couldn't use our deer rifle to take a partridge. So many use the word Partridge when referring to Ruffed Grouse and we do not have a Partridge in the area I hunt.
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/reg.../full_regs.pdf

I have never seen anything else pertaining to firearms restrictions other than the federal restrictions for migratory birds.
Old December 17, 2010, 01:30 AM   #9
James H

Partridge and grouse are the same in my book (this seems to be true with all the bird guys I've hunted with too). I'm not trying to bust you. I'm trying to keep you from getting busted. Here is a quote from the WI regs.

It is illegal to...

• hunt any game bird, wild turkey or migratory game bird with a rifle

I admit that is really vague. Apparently a .22lr from a pistol is OK since the regs specify a rifle.

I couldn't find anything similar in the MN regs but I didn't look as hard.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/regs/SGHunt10.pdf
Old December 17, 2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Gbro

You Say;

Quote:
Partridge and grouse are the same in my book (this seems to be true with all the bird guys I've hunted with too).
From the MN hunting handbook;
Quote:
Non-Migratory Birds
Ruffed and Spruce Grouse Sept. 18–Jan. 2 5 combined 10 combined ½ hr. before sunrise to sunset
Sharp-tailed Grouse Sept. 18–Nov. 30 3 6 ½ hr. before sunrise to sunset
(in open zone)
Hungarian Partridge Sept. 18–Jan. 2 5 10 ½ hr. before sunrise to sunset
Pheasant Oct. 16–Jan. 2 2 roosters 6 roosters 9 a.m. to sunset
(3 roosters Dec. 1–Jan. 2) (9 roosters Dec. 1–Jan. 2)
Prairie chicken (by special Oct. 23–27 2 2 ½ hr. before sunrise to sunset
permit only)
I may be wrong, but Hungarian Partridge and Pheasant are found in the Prairie part of the state that is also shotgun w/slug or Muzzleloader only for big game.
Yes there is a difference between Partridge and Grouse even though we abuse these terms.