The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Deegle

Reloading - where to start?

I'm considering reloading my own ammo. I primarily shoot .380 and 9mm. I have no idea what I need or where to start. I've always used factory ammo, but at these prices it may make sense to change that. Can you buy a kit that has everything I'd need to get started? Thanks.
Old October 22, 2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Sturmgewehre

You should probably start in the Reloading forum:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...isplay.php?f=9

I would look into the Hornady Lock and Load AP progressive. Right now if you buy this press you get about $250 in free bullets. That means you really only have $100 in the press. There is some assembly, and you need to buy dies.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...228&t=11082005

You might also want to look into a Dillon Square Deal B. These are great fully progressive presses for beginners. They come all setup and ready to load. All you have to do is set the bullet seating depth and set your powder charge. The SDB is about the same cost as the Hornady.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.sqdeal.html

You will still need to buy a powder scale, calipers, bullets, powder, primers, a loading manual and a few other assorted items.

You can also do the single stage press. They are cheaper, albeit much slower going.

You can find all of your accessories on the MidwayUSA.com website.
Old October 22, 2008, 12:09 PM   #3
CortJestir

IBTM (in before the move )

Sturm beat me to it.

But I'd also add: check out the reloading vids made by Smaug:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=304284

Very helpful for a noob to handloading. I'm thinking about getting into it myself and these vids helped push me over the fence...
Old October 22, 2008, 12:12 PM   #4
murphjup

Deegele, I just started myself.... I purchased on of these kits for loading .45ACP

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...link&cmCat=CRR

Also these.... from MidwayUSA...

Lyman "Reloading Data Log" Reloading Manual
Lyman "49th Edition Reloading Handbook" Reloading Manual
Lee Deluxe Handgun 4-Die Set 45 ACP
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator 110 Volt 1 0 1
Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 45 Caliber (451 Diameter) 200 Grain Plated Round Nose
1000 CCI Primers
155024 Frankford Arsenal Portable Reloading Stand
1LB Unique Powder
Also a bullet puller for mistakes that will happen..

I also got this information from fellow forum memebers that I am sure will speak up to, to give you more experienced advice...

Let us know how you do..

Old October 22, 2008, 12:55 PM   #5
chrisp0410

I also recommend Dillon products. I am also a novice to the reloading arena but have learned a bit from an avid reloading family member. While in the process of setting up my facory, I have a Dillon RL550. This press is above the Square Deal in terms of cost and production speed and below the XL650 and the commercial grade 1050 presses.

For me, I am not as concerned with being restricted to reloading only the RL550's maximum of 500 rounds per hour, I am concerned with versatility. The Rl550 will reload more varied calibers than any other Dillon.

Anyway, just my .02, best of luck.

Chrisp0410
Old October 22, 2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Majic

IMO you should learn on a single stage press instead of a progressive. While it's not rocket science there are things you don't get to see when loading progressively. Mainly you get to inspect at each stage, clean primer pockets, and check primer seating depths. Attention to little details can solve some of the problems you see other reloaders are having. Plus with a good strong single stage press you can load virtually any cartridge and some shotshells.
Old October 22, 2008, 02:36 PM   #7
indiandave

I would vote for the Dillon SDB. You can load one cartridge at a time. When you get the hang of it you can crank out lots of ammunition,using it as a progressive press. Dillon has very good customer service also.
To start I would do a lot of reading. You can learn a lot from any of the manuals out there. Ask a lot of questions. It's really pretty easy. I find reloading to be lots of fun.
Old October 22, 2008, 02:58 PM   #8
DWARREN123

Read a couple of manuals first then a Lee Anniversary Kit comes with eveything but comsumables and dies. You would need brass, bullets, powder, primers and dies.
I like the single stage best because it allows you to easily inspect each stage of the reloading operation.
Old October 22, 2008, 03:15 PM   #9
Ranger325

I recommend reading The ABC's of Reloading by Bill Chevalier in addition to the various reloading manuals available. I too am a big fan of my Dillon SDB and use it to reload .45 ACP and .38 Spec (so far). Their customer service is top notch, always willing to answer my 'dopey, new guy question'. Good luck - you'll enjoy this new phase of the shooting sport/obsession!!

Regards,
Old October 22, 2008, 07:27 PM   #10
benzuncle

Deegle, 3 words of advice: Lurk, Lurk, Lurk. It's all here! There's a plethora of information and knowledge about reloading, the machinery, powders, bullets and the accessories on the forums. Every make and model of reloader and ammo type have been discussed at great length. Your decision probably won't be which works the best (They all seem to build great ammo), but rather:
  • How much ammo do you shoot
  • What can you afford
  • How much space do you want to commit to
  • Your concerns about sinking too much into something without knowing whether you will like it or not
All this and more have been covered. As I've expressed my opinion on my particular reloading equipment on many other threads I won't bore you here. Most of what you will find is useful, positive info. And when there's a problem, there are always forum members that'll jump in quickly to help you out.

Just for your reference as to whether reloading is worth it economically, I reload (reusing the brass) 380s at the following rates:
95gr Lead Round Nose @ 2.9gr - 50 rounds for $4.82
102gr Remington Golden Sabers @ 2.9gr - 50 rounds for $9.82
I figure my savings on 75 boxes of 45acp will cover the cost of my reloading equipment. That's about 19 trips to the range @ 200 rounds. YMMV

Good Luck in your search and your research. You will let us know what transpires, won't you?
Old October 22, 2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Deegle

Thanks so much guys. Lots of great info! You've given me a lot to chew on. Thanks!
Old October 22, 2008, 09:48 PM   #12
Smaug

Thanks for the plug CortJestr.

I'm going to send him an email tomorrow with my list of equipment. (Cort, can you forward it to him?) That, along with my videos and the Lyman manual, and you'll be rolling your own within a week.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old October 22, 2008, 10:06 PM   #13
bggwind

I'm replying to the thread just so I can watch it - this is a long way off for me but very entertaining.

Reminds me of when I was considering homebrewing beer for the first time. Now I have kegs and gear out the wazoo!
Old October 23, 2008, 11:39 AM   #14
TheNatureBoy

If you know someone who is an experienced handloader ask him/her if they would mind teaching you how to do it. Thats what I did and it took a lot of the guess work and frustration out of it. A lot of experienced reloaders post on this board regularly and they will answer any question you ask of them, however, nothing beats one on one tutoring.

I also purchased a Lee Precision Breech Lock Challenger Kit. Part of the kit included a set of dies of my choice. I don't know if that option is still available. It has everything you need to get started with the exception of a manual. I find that the Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings are a must for setting dies. Matter of fact I ordered four more just a few minutes ago. I think you can use this set up to load for pistols as well. Check out the Lee Precision website to make sure
Old October 25, 2008, 06:41 AM   #15
Mike40-11

Another vote for the Lee Anniversary kit. For less than a hundred bucks it comes with everything but the dies. Including a nice thick reloading manual that has good instructions as well as tons of load data.

You can make any ammo you want on this rig. It's not going to be blazing fast, but it's definitely the best way to learn. And even if you eventually wind up with half a dozen Dillon 650s, you'll still need a single stage.

Oh, one more thing you will need. Some case blocks to hold the cartridges as they go trough the steps. I don't know why the kits don't come with these, but they're only around 5 bucks.
Old October 25, 2008, 10:23 AM   #16
aerod1

Oops.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old October 25, 2008, 10:53 AM   #17
ilbob

IMO it is substantially easier to learn to reload on a single stage press than a progressive, especially if you have to do it mostly on your own.

Good books are very helpful. A friend who already knows how is even better.

9mm is pretty easy to reload. Bottleneck cases are harder.

get the carbide dies.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.