The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 22, 2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Guy B. Meredith

.38 spl PPD or powderpuff for beginners

One of whom is probably being coaxed into shooting by his wife/my daughter who is probably just going to humor her Old Man on his 63rd birthday.

My daughter has shot only Ruger MK512 .22 cal and .22 cal rifle, but I've traded that gun in on a Mossberg Persuader so I'm figuring on some soft but accurate to 15 yd .38 spl.

I have 231 and a tad of AA#5, a ton of Bullseye, Universal Clays and a mystery powder called NobelSport AS. I load a 158 grain plated bullet by X-Treme Bullets with WSP.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!

Last edited by Guy B. Meredith; November 22, 2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old November 22, 2008, 06:22 PM   #2
kraigwy

This is an easy one, 2.7 grns of bullseye, 148 grn wad cutters. Its light, mild, and super accurate, even at 25 & 50 yards. Kind of a standby for those who shoot 38s in Bullseye CF matches.

I use in in leu of 22s for teaching my grandkids to shoot, I can load them cheaper then I can get 22s.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 22, 2008, 06:45 PM   #3
indiandave

I shoot 148 Hornady HBWC's over 3.0 grains of Winchester 231. The weight of the revolver has a lot to do with the felt recoil. Have her shoot something like a K or L frame. Using a powder puff load with a revolver with some some weight can make for happy shooter.
Old November 22, 2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Guy B. Meredith

I'm pretty much stuck with 158 gr. bullets. Know how to load for them?

My daughter called last night out of the blue and said she had a strange urge to do some shooting (at which point I began to wonder whether my wife had bribed her) and wanted to call ahead in case I had to reserve time at the range.

That leaves me two days to do some reloads.

I do have a 686 with 6" barrel and a PC 627 V-comp and a 4" M66 The L frame is probably going to be the choice though it might be a bit heavy. Maybe just for kicks I should compare the weights between the Ruger MK512 and the 686+. The N frame is 'way heavy but might work for my gun shy (THAT kind of liberal) son-in-law.

The K frame is pretty snappy. Hmm... Actually I've never shot soft loads from it, just +P and some .357 Magnum.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!

Last edited by Guy B. Meredith; November 22, 2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old November 22, 2008, 07:02 PM   #5
zxcvbob

Quote:
I'm pretty much stuck with 158 gr. bullets. Know how to load for them?
3.5 grains of Titegroup is a good load, but not exactly "powderpuff". 3.5 of Bullseye should be similar and just a little softer-shooting.