The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old June 30, 2002, 08:29 PM   #1
Sportcat

thumbs down for cheaper than dirt.com

Cheaperthanddirt.com will no longer get my business.

I ordered some snap caps for my 9000s. The web site showed that they were red and the item description read "caps are easily distinguished by their red color." The caps ran me $11.99 and $5.99 for s/h.

The caps came in a reasonable amount of time, but they were BLUE! Not too big of a deal, but I gave them a call to see what they could do to rectify the situation. Their response was that since I ordered it off of the web, they would have to forward my concern to the webmaster.

I get an e-mail the next day saying that the company who produces the snap caps bought out another company, and decided to use the rest of their blue inventory. I could mail the caps back (Priority Mail) and get a refund. They also said that the error would be corrected immediately on their webpage.

I told them this was unacceptable. I would be out my initial $5.99 s/h and then another $3.50 to mail them back - this was for a $11.99 item. CTD's response was that that was all they could do.

Anyway, I decided to keep the caps. I checked their website 2 weeks after this all happended, and sure enough, they still promote the caps as being red. I e-mailed them about this, but no response.

They've lost this customer!!!

Sure enough... one month later, it still show red caps...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...MFB29XHDUJ9DC7
Old July 1, 2002, 06:49 AM   #2
rocko

Just curious, do the different colors signify any different functionality? If not, does it really matter what color they are (I know, red is the "standard" color for dummy stuff)?

FWIW, the description of the item at the link you provided reads (at least now):

"Snap Caps allow safe dry firing while protecting firing pin, sear and trigger. Excellent for firearms safety and storage. Dry Fire Dummy Rounds are made of tough Red or Blue plastic exterior with solid brass base. Ideal for training, working firearm actions and dry firing."

Based on the current description, it appears they are giving the disclaimer that the customer cannot specify color and the choice is up to them.

Rocko
Old July 1, 2002, 07:27 AM   #3
Sportcat

no difference

Rocko,

I agree that the color makes no difference in the operation of the caps. But shouldn't a customer receive what they order? If you order a brand new red pick-up, but Ford sends you a blue one, wouldn't you be a little frustrated? It still does the same job.

As for now I have written Cheaper off. Quality control and customer service just aren't there.
Old July 1, 2002, 07:36 AM   #4
NINEX19

I have had nothing but good service from CTD and have orderd probably 10 times in the last year or so.

In their defence, the website says (at least now):

Quote:
Snap Caps allow safe dry firing while protecting firing pin, sear and trigger. Excellent for firearms safety and storage. Dry Fire Dummy Rounds are made of tough Red or Blue plastic exterior with solid brass base. Ideal for training, working firearm actions and dry firing.

Notice it says Red or Blue .

Not sure it would have made a difference to me either as long as the quality was the same.
Old July 2, 2002, 12:56 PM   #5
mchgnmike

Sportcat,

I am sorry that you are so disappointed in your transaction with us (Cheaper Than Dirt). I can sort of understand the problem of expecting red snap caps and receiving blue ones and wanting an exchange or refund. I do not understand why you would say that we would not do anything to remedy this problem. I think the TFLer’s should know the facts before any judgements are made. Don’t you agree?

Let’s review what was emailed about your Snap Cap order:

Starting with my first email after learning of the problem:

Sir,

I understand that you thought that you were getting RED Snap Caps and you
were sent blue ones. You can return these but we will not be able to send
you any red because we do not have them.

MikeE
Technical advisor

This is an extremely disappointing response. This was my first experience
purchasing from Cheaper Than Dirt. What happened - I ordered a product,
something different was sent than what I ordered, and now I can send the
product back at my own expense? This is unacceptable.

Not to mention that the incorrect information still remains on your website
for other customers to be misled.

What can Cheaper Than Dirt do to make sure I do business with you in the
future?

I am sorry that we do not have the red Snap Caps that you were expecting. I am also sorry that the website wasn't corrected right away (it should be corrected by Monday). When I mentioned that you should return them I should have also mentioned that we will credit you for the return shipping. Please send the Snap Caps back either UPS or US Priority Mail and we will credit you for that amount.

If this is not acceptable please let me know.

MikeE
[email protected]
Old July 2, 2002, 01:05 PM   #6
Sportcat

I do stand corrected

I do stand corrected. Mike at CTD did say that he would refund my Priority shipping costs back to me if I did wish to return the caps.

I must say that after reading my posts, I've made a big deal about nothing. The caps do the job fine. And it sounds like that I am in the minority when it comes to problems with CTD.

-Chris
Old July 2, 2002, 07:13 PM   #7
Trevor

Sportcat,

I agree with you that service and consideration after the sale is what keeps customers happy and returning to do business. It seems to me that CTD has tried to keep your business. I have been happy with my purchases from them. Give them another chance.
Old July 3, 2002, 01:01 PM   #8
part swede

CTD has served me well several times, and this is not the sort of thing that would get my ire. My A-Zoom solid aluminum snap caps from CTD are great. True, I'm paying 12% extra for shipping, but I'm spared from running around to local stores with their spotty selection. Their website is more descriptive than Natchez, which I also use sometimes. I give CTD thumbs up. (And I hope the Waxman ammo-commerce ban gets shot down.)