The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 13, 2013, 11:28 AM   #26
Bob Wright

For whatever its worth to ya'll: I bought my first Ruger Blackhawk while I was in the Army, stationed at Camp Roberts, Calif. Prior to the purchase I had to have my Company Commander's permission to bring it on the post. After I had bought the revolver, I had a letter from my Company Commander describing the gun, serial number, etc. granting his permission to bring it on post and storing it in the company area. One copy of this letter was on file with the Provost Marshal, one in the Company records, and one which I kept.

Still have a copy of that letter.

Bob Wright
Old April 14, 2013, 06:14 PM   #27
Slamfire

A shooting bud of mine, a Marine Veteran of both the Korean and Vietnam Wars, showed me a picture of himself, with his war dog, in Vietnam. In his holster was a Ruger Blackhawk in 357. I asked him why, he said something about it being the most reliable pistol he could get. It was private purchase of course.

I don’t know if he used that pistol to threaten the guys who wanted to take his dog away from him, when his tour was over. But he got his dog home, and he told me in angry and loud tones how he informed the guys at the airport what he would do to them if they took his dog.

He was still carrying a picture of himself and that dog fifty years later.