The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 12, 2012, 10:36 AM   #1
JerryM

CA and Hogs

I saw on TV a program about California Game wardens who were trying to catch pig poachers. The talked about conservation, but I wondered what they were thinking to try to conserve wild pigs.
We are not doing that in NM!!!

Anyone have any insight on this??
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Tuzo

From California Fish and Game web site:

"Until the mid 1950's, wild pigs were unclassified under state law and could be killed with no restrictions. In 1957, wild pigs were designated a game mammal by the State Legislature. The Fish and Game Commission soon established hunting seasons, bag and possession limits, method of take and the conditions for using dogs. In 1992 Fish and Game Code Sections 4650 through 4657 were added that required hunters to possess wild pig license tags while hunting pigs."

Hunters described in the TV show may have been in violation of fish and game laws.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:48 AM   #3
AllenJ

Their thinking is that they would have a job to do, and that is just about it. Bottom line, I have lived in this state my entire life and the Department of Fish and Game has yet to impress me in any way with what they call conservation. A good example is that they leave it up to the local county board of supervisors to "OK" doe hunts. Never mind that our doe to buck ratio is 200:1, it's all about the votes and no politician wants to be cast in a bad light.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:26 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Ca. is one of the states that allows take of pigs as a non native type critter but they do not honor dog hunting at all or in limited use and location.

They also over complicate the whole situation regarding permitting etc...

I do not know the details further than that but that alone limits their ability to control ferals while claiming to be "protecting" state resources!!! Feral hogs are never a "RESOURCE"!!!! They are always presenting a "COST"!!!

Brent
Old May 12, 2012, 04:33 PM   #5
zippy13

Quote:
The talked about conservation, but I wondered what they were thinking to try to conserve wild pigs.
I think it depends on how you look at wild pigs. Some think of them as a nuisance to be eradicated while others consider them a legitimate game animal (fun to hunt and good to eat). It seems the fish and game folks feel they are game, and if they don't control hog hunting (require tags) the population will be reduced below a sustainable level.

Some say wild hogs are game and should be treated like deer while others point out that deer are native and hogs aren't. In my county, once relatively wild hog free, they have become a nuisance in the last decade, or so. As AllenJ suggests, politics and game management make poor bed fellows.

From the "game warden" TV programs I've watched, there seems to be a commonality among poachers: Hunting regulations aren't the only laws they feel free to ignore.
Old May 12, 2012, 05:21 PM   #6
celtgun

Russian Blood?

Did not Hearst bring some Russian boar to his estate in California? Vanderbilt introduced them in western NC. And I think they cross up with the ferals. They (Russian boar) are a game animal in NC. Rough on the enviroment, just like the ferals. Tough, mean.

Shoot and pray daily.
Lee Jones (Celtgun)
Old May 12, 2012, 06:07 PM   #7
zippy13

IINM, the Hearst family was in the hog business in the early 1800s. And, the Hearst Castle area is some of California's best wild hog country. I've seen references to W.R.Hearst, Jr. making comments about seeing wild hogs from other distant ranches making it to San Simeon.
Old June 3, 2012, 02:07 AM   #8
Gunn Smithy

Quote:
Anyone have any insight on this??
Jerry
Money. That's it in a nutshell. It use to be one pig per day, one in possession all year long. Why? Because they are a nuisance animal that destroys hundreds of thousands of dollars of crops each year. Then Fish and Game realized that they could charge for pig tags. If you have pig tags you have to justify needing them and their use. Doesn't matter that the state is still overrun by the critters. Hunters and yes poachers are providing a service to state agriculture by shooting as many as they can and after they're done the state will still be overpopulated with hogs. Smithy. (who use to live in the central coast and seen the damage these things can do).
Old June 3, 2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Hansam

"Conserving" a species that is non-native and so destructive on the environment just so you can make money... I just can't wrap my head around that.

I suppose when you're in a state that's so deep in debt and can't seem to put together a budget that is even close to being balanced you'll try to squeeze money out of anything you can.

Its not really about conservation though and all about politics and money. One of the many (but main) reasons I won't go to California.
Old June 3, 2012, 07:38 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In order to appease certain fringe groups while claiming fiscal income to other groups while allowing feral hogs of any bloodline to tear up your natural native resources is not the brightest move...

They are truly "Trippin' over dollar bills to pick up nickles..."

Brent
Old June 3, 2012, 11:25 PM   #11
fatwhiteboy

Here's a couple of Russian boar taken inland from Hearst's Castle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pigs.jpg (111.8 KB, 49 views)
Old June 3, 2012, 11:36 PM   #12
zippy13

Quote:
"Conserving" a species that is non-native and so destructive on the environment just so you can make money... I just can't wrap my head around that.
Perhaps you need an extended trip to the coast to get a reality orientation. Here in CA, logic and politics seem to be mutually exclusive.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:04 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sil vous plait, no Calabashing.
Old June 4, 2012, 11:48 AM   #14
rickyrick

It's just a way to generate revenue. Fines are a source of revenue. They must not be too big of an issue in commiefornia to protect them.

Must be hard to distinguish the politicians and lawyers from the wild schwine, lol
Old June 5, 2012, 12:55 PM   #15
natman

Chasing pig poachers has nothing to do with protecting pigs. You can buy as many pig tags as you want with no limits. However, California wants $21.34 per tag and if they don't get it, they get touchy about it.
Old June 9, 2012, 07:25 AM   #16
Jack O'Conner

Calif. has been spending more than income revenue for many years. Certainly not the only state with huge debts. Obviously they've decided to go after every cent that the Wardens can bring in.

I tend to think of Wardens as the "good guys" who protect wildlife for all to enjoy. I'm certain there are a few overly agreessive Wardens but the guys I've met tend to be honest and likeable men.

Jack
Old June 9, 2012, 10:35 AM   #17
Keg

I would love to hear of hogs rooting up yards in Beverly Hills....
Old June 11, 2012, 12:54 AM   #18
sc928porsche

Only the finest of swine may dine in Beverly Hills.