The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2010, 10:39 PM   #1
bamaranger

870 fix is good

Several months back, I started a post re a stubborn 870. Failure to feed issues.The carrier seemed not to be raising the fresh shell fully up to the mouth of the chamber.

Yesterday, we took the problem child to the range, and shot it, a bunch. Freshly installed was a new, HD (or at least current) Carrier Dog Spring. Ran like a champ.

I made a concentrated effort to try and make it bobble. Ran the slide as fast as I possibly could. shlack-shlack, boom, every time.

This was on an 870 Mag, that was NOT a Police model. We will likely be adding the new (HD?, there seems a dispute if there is a std weight anymore or all may be HD) Carrier Dog Spring to all our agency 870's that are not so equipped.
Old November 12, 2010, 10:52 PM   #2
zippy13

Happy to hear your stubborn 870 is no longer misbehaving. Scattergun Bob recently quoted his previous monograph on the 870, it included:
Carrier Dog Follower Spring – I have noticed in many early Express models a problem with the action hanging or stuttering on the closing stroke (fail to feed up), this is commonly caused by the shell carrier not traveling high enough into the receiver and the shell hanging up on the bottom of the chamber. It is a common occurrence and is usually fixed by replacing with P/N 16966 a heavier version of the follower spring, Do Not change if you are not experiencing this problem, it could create a new one.
Old November 15, 2010, 11:31 PM   #3
bamaranger

yup

Yeah, bob's the man on the 870 issues.

Our agency/my duty station, purchased as an yet undetermined # of 870's that were not POLICE guns, and yet they were NOT Express models either. Least I don't think so. They seem to have machined extractors, but std grade springs. And have all metal trigger groups. MOst are simply stamped 870 Magnum, and are parkerized with birch stocks. MOst are 15 or so years old. And only some give trouble. But POLICE guns they are not.

Anyhow, we are in the process of weeding them out and upgrading and Bob's posts have been most helpful. The particular one in question is my issue, and I have never fully trusted it. Until now, it seems.