The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 21, 1999, 02:15 PM   #1
Highpower1

I am in a debate over buying a new shotgun for home defense. I would like to have a Remington 870, but due to budget limits, I will not be able to afford one. My two picks that I have narrowed it down too, will be The Mossberg 500 with ghost ring sights or the Mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights? I can get a great deal on both (dealer cost). My question is should I spend the money to go with the 590 over the 500? I am not sure, any help with this, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Highpower1

------------------
No King is saved by the size of his army, No warrior excapes by his great strength alone.
Old May 21, 1999, 05:02 PM   #2
MGB

I recently purchased a 590 w/ ghost ring sights. Very impressive weapon! The ghost ring sights make 50 yd. head shots w/ slugs a breeze. I bought mine on a spur of the moment and have not regretted it.
Old May 21, 1999, 07:26 PM   #3
snoman

Don,t really understand your question, the 870, 500, and 590 can all be had for around $200

------------------
---snoman---
Old May 24, 1999, 11:42 AM   #4
TTed

I have two Mossberg 590s, one of which was sent to Vangcomp for a full tactical mod package (Vangcomp choke, Surefire light forend). I have been very pleased and thing the Mossberg 590 with factory ghost ring sights is a pretty good bargain. Here in Southern California, they can be had for around $450, which is much cheaper than buying a Remington 870 and sending it off to get ghost ring sights installed.