The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 12, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1
cubhead

1849 Uberti pocket pistol cylinder alignment

Very new to black powder shooting. Just bought an Uberti 1849 Colt .31 pocket pistol. Never fired yet, just familiarizing myself with BP handling/cleaning/loading/shooting/tools etc. These forums have been very useful.

I noticed that the hammer on occasion will not not pull back. Need to try 2-3 times (no force involved) and it will then cock to either loading or firing postion. ALso, when it does cock, again, sometimes the cylider notch will not line up with hammer. I have attached a photo (I think)!
Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (98.6 KB, 60 views)
Old December 12, 2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Excellent photo

May have to go to work on the hand or on the bolt leg on the hammer side.

Pettifogger articles address this issue.

Check:

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles...a_Part_One.pdf
Old December 12, 2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

What Doc said. From your picture, it appears to be overrotating and the lock up when you try to cock it is because the hand is trying to move the cylinder before the bolt drops. Both are caused by a too long hand.

Pettifogger's articles will help you fix the problem and tune it up slicker than anything.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 12, 2010, 06:00 PM   #4
cubhead

Thanks for quick replies - I'll check it out!