The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 2, 2010, 03:24 PM   #1
fireboy

I'm wanting to load a 12ga Double-Baller RB .600" size in a 2-3/4" recipe?

That would be a load very simular to the Cheddite 3" Dixie Tri-Ball load but in a 2.75" hull.

I know someone must have had this idea already so I'm looking for their recipe if you can help.

I just feel I could do a lot better without all that heavy pounding that the Dixie Tri-Balls are going to be dishing out! Still, I think a 12ga Double-Baller .600 in a 2-3/4" hull, like the Tri-Ball Dixie has but with two .600 RBs would do a great job too with just a hair less pounding! The Dixie Tri-Ball load is over 2 oz, but 2 RB's would falls right between a 1-3/8 and 1-1/2 oz. load which would still be very devastating in my book.

The Dixie Tri-Ball load uses the orange #TUPRW123 wad in the Cheddite 3" hulls and I see that there is even a 2-3/4" white #TUPRWW12 wad like the 3" orange #TUPRW123 wad at Precision Reloading. But they do not post the specs for their wads so it's hard to know if this would work out or not or if it's even close.

I have a lot of Cheddite 2-3/4 hulls and I like what I've been reading about the Dixie Tri-Balls and I can not see any reason why it wont work in the 12ga 2-3/4 unless there is some big difference in the 2-3/4 wad or maybe there is another wad out there that will work or maybe no wad using gas seal and felt wads.

BTW: I've been searching for over five days now on Goggle and many forum to no good end, trying to find anything on a two rb load and nothing.

Thanks in advance. FB
Old November 2, 2010, 04:49 PM   #2
idek

I don't like to reply when I don't have anything helpful to add, but I also don't like to see a topic sit without any responses.

I could be totally wrong on this, but Dixie and their Tri-ball load aren't exactly household names. The Tri-ball may serve its intended purposes well, but I would wager to say it has a niche following (if it had mainstream following, FedeRemChester would already be copying it).

So it may not be very likely that many people have considered taking an already unpopular load, and modifying it to version that is 33% less effective.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, just that you maybe shouldn't be too surprised if you don't find many answers to your questions.

That said, I'd recommend asking this question at the shotgunworld forums. I believe they actually have a "Dixie Slugs" forum.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=77

ETA: Just after posting the link, I saw that that forum is rather dead. Sorry. Shotgunworld in general still may be your best bet. Not to say they are any more knowledgeable, just that your question may be seen by more eyes.

Last edited by idek; November 2, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old November 2, 2010, 05:58 PM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by idek
I cold be totally wrong on this, but Dixie and their Tri-ball load aren't exactly household names. The Tri-ball may serve its intended purposes well, but I would wager to say it has a niche following (if it had mainstream following, FedeRemChester would already be copying it).
+1
What's wrong with the traditional Mil/LE buckshot load? The consensus is 00-Buck is the best balance of ball size and count. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Of course, you may be thinking of some target that requires a 0.60 ball.
Old November 2, 2010, 10:00 PM   #4
ThomasT

I can't help much with twelve but I do load a double ball 20ga load using two 54 caliber balls. I have to use the remington SP20 wads because they don't have any splines on the inside of the shotcup. The 54cal balls are a good fit.

I also loaded up some loads using a 54cal REAL bullet in the same wad but haven't tested them yet. I hope to get a .600 Lee mold and shoot these bare out of my 20. I will just cut the petals off the wad.

Keep digging and you will find a way to shoot your balls.
Old November 2, 2010, 11:52 PM   #5
.45 COLT

http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=67999

DC
Old November 6, 2010, 08:49 PM   #6
fireboy

Thanks loads to idek zippy13 ratshooter .45 COLT

I checked out the links you posted and have learned a lot I'm ten points above where I was.

zippy13 I have no problem with buckshot I see something in the Dixie Tri-Ball that looks like bs but goes like a slug, three of them!

I've been day and night reading the links you all posted and I haven't even put a dent in them, plus I posted to Mr. Gates at Dixie and I'll put it below for you to see his responds. I've got wads, buffers and molds on order, so if all turn out good I let you all know. ratshooter maybe you can pull something from what Mr. Gates says that can help or confirm your thinking with what your doing with the 20ga. Thanks again fb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Although Dixie has not worked up any two ball loads for 12 ga 2 3/4".......we will give some suggestions.
First of all, weigh the balls and divide that weight by 437.5....that will give you the ounces of your balls. Look up a shot load calling for that ounce weight.
Then...measure the overall length of the balls and check the length of BPI's LBC wad's inside. This will select the best wad. Your crimp index may call for filler wads. Select the slowest burn powder listed for your weight of balls or shot. Buffer the balls to cover the top one. Since there is less sidewall pressure with the balls, the buffer will be safe. The balls should be hard so the will not deform and cause sidewall pressure.....Regards, James
Old November 9, 2010, 07:42 PM   #7
ThomasT

Fireboy I got your PM and sent you one back.

Fireboy was concerned I might have a problem with sidewall pressure but I am using a reduced load of powder mainly because that was the only way the 2 balls would fit in the 2 3/4" hull. I have been loading these since the early 90s with never any sign of a problem. I am guessing my velocity is no more than 11000fps. I think BP is much more likely to cause setback or foreshortning of soft lead balls than smokeless.

I wasn't after speed. Just an alternative load for emergency deer hunting with a shotgun or what should be an effective self defense load. Two 230gr balls should knock a BG right on his a$$. Muy Pronto.

I wasn't trying to reproduce Dixies loads. I just heard of them a few weeks ago. Let me say thanks for your concern. I am sorta known for being "out there" every once in a while.
Old November 9, 2010, 10:53 PM   #8
.45 COLT

Quote:
I wasn't trying to reproduce Dixies loads. I just heard of them a few weeks ago.
For anybody who IS looking to reproduce Dixie loads, load information for his original "Dixie Hog Cruncher" can be found here:

http://www.shootersforum.com/showthr...t=hog+cruncher

and for the current "Dixie Tri-Ball", here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=Tri-Ball

DC
Old November 10, 2010, 12:36 AM   #9
idek

I am a little surprised at how helpful James Gates was. There probably aren't too many ammunition companies that will take time to explain how to reproduce their ammunition.