The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1
NoSecondBest

Question on cast bullet companies

Anyone familiar with Colorado Bullet Co.? I just got a new Ruger SB and I'm wanting to try some cast bullets out of it. There's a lot of manufacturers out there and I haven't used much cast in the past. Colorado's prices seem competitive and they claim to use controlled alloy and hardness. Any comments? Any suggestions who makes good cast that won't lead the heck out of my barrel and shoot well? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old April 8, 2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

First thing, get a soft lead slug and slug your barrel to determine the actual bore size. Then order your bullets .001-.002" over bore size and you won't have any leading problems unless you go crazy over velocity, in which case you need jacketed bullets anyway. Fit in the bore is everything, "hard" alloy is way down on the scale. Goatwhiskers

Edit: try Beartooth Bullets, I have used them and have no complaints about quality. Goat
Old April 8, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Do not forget to slug the chambers of the cylinder also. More likely than not they will be over size of the bore. If they are not over the bore size then you may have some problems with accuracy.

If you can get some lead, then a bullet mold, an old iron skillet, a dipper, and an old spoon will have you casting. If you use a Lee mold it will pay for itself quickly.
Old April 8, 2012, 07:28 PM   #4
jepp2

I haven't bought from Colorado Bullet CO, most of my business goes to Missouri Bullets and SNS Casting. Prices seem to be all in the same ballpark. But Colorado does offer different diameters if you need something different other than the standard. All seem to offer about the same in bullet hardness and lube, so they should perform equally.

I tend to shoot the smaller bores and have no problems with leading after I opened the throats up. I have more problems with throat diameter than bores. Forcing cone angle can also cause problems but both of these are correctable.
Old April 9, 2012, 02:16 AM   #5
warningshot

Most all the Mom & Pop bullet casting businesses out their are good hard working people. I beat them up on pricing years ago when I didn't know any better.

Attend a few bigger ICORE, IDPA, or IPSC action shooting events in your area; just has a spectator, some of those entry fees are steep. Ask the guys whose guns are working, whom their bullet providers are. Don't ask a sponsered shooter. They will tell you anything.
Old April 9, 2012, 05:52 AM   #6
mikejonestkd

Two companies that I have always had great success with are Penn Bullets and Mastercast.net bullets. both are of excellent quality, hard enough to not lead a barrel, and are properly priced.

www.pennbullets.com

www.mastercast.net
Old April 9, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
g.willikers

It's just about guaranteed that anyone who has been in the business of casting and selling bullets, for any length of time, makes good ones.
Or they wouldn't even be still around, doing it.
And if you do have leading problems, it's doubtful it will be caused by the quality of the bullets.
There's lots of other causes.