The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 29, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1
desertstormvet

Pimp my Remington 700

New to forum...joined for advice. I'm looking to further improve the accuracy of my stock 0.308 Remington 700 SPS Varmit with a Carl Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest scope. My shooting platform is a Harris bi-pod with Protecktor rear bag using hand loads (Sierra Match 168 gr BTHP, 44 gr Varget, and Federal Gold Match large rifle primers). I'm currently under 1 MOA, but looking to get tighter groups...without going to a bench rest vice. What's the first upgrade...Bell and Carlson stock...Jewell trigger...other?? My next step is to experiment with different weight bullets. How good should I expect to get with this weapon? Any advice is appreciated.
Old May 29, 2013, 09:54 PM   #2
big al hunter

Welcome to TFL.
Your on the right track. Try different bullets first. A different trigger won't hurt, and may tighten things up a bit. If you get the new stock it might help group size. If it makes it worse you can bed the action to get it back. Last resort is a new barrel. But you already have a decent group going. I would say that different bullets will make more difference than anything else.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:07 PM   #3
fatwhiteboy

Definitely change the trigger. Also if you don't reload, learn. Reloading will allow you to find the load that shoots most accurately in your rifle. Once you find the best load, practice. Practice. Practice. Practice.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:52 PM   #4
jmr40

You have all the stuff you need. Just shoot and work on improving your handloads and shooting skill. If you can shoot, the factory trigger is fine. You might experiment with different powders, charge weights and bullets. I've had good results with Berger bullets, both 155 and 168, but every gun is different. I'm betting with some experimenting you can get close to 1/2" without spending any money on improvements, certainly under .75"

If you're under 1" right now getting much better is going to be costly. You can easily spend 2-3X what your rifle/scope cost chasing after 1/2" groups. Or be happy with .75" groups as it is.
Old May 30, 2013, 01:36 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

You don't have to replace the trigger. Have someone adjust it for weight and zero creep. The Remington triggers were known for being among the best. Go for 3 lbs.
Old May 30, 2013, 03:38 AM   #6
mxsailor803

If its a older rifle, just adjust the trigger. Newer, change it out completely. I put a Shilen in a ADL .270 and never looked back. Leap years ahead of the factory triggers. Much smoother, crisper, and no creep. It was kinda PITA to install (first one I've ever done) but take your time and its not bad. Have done experimenting with lighter/heavier bullets? Faster/slower powders?
Old May 30, 2013, 05:13 AM   #7
desertstormvet

Great comments...thanks! My next step will be to change bullets...maybe 155 gr and 172 gr...and see what happens. I've been told over and over that the rifle will shoot a certain grain better than others. I have reduced my factory trigger to 3lbs and I'm pretty confident that I'm staying on target while firing. One thing I've assumed is that I'm not smart enough to look through my scope consistently. I've adjusted the parallax so I'm OK there...what's the trick with looking through the scope, if any. That's why I was thinking about a new stock with an adjustable cheek rest.
Old May 30, 2013, 06:11 AM   #8
PawPaw

Quote:
what's the trick with looking through the scope, if any.
Cheek weld. It must be consistent and repeatable. The way your firing hand touches the stock must be consistent and repeatable. The force you use to pull the rifle to your shoulder must be consistent and repeatable. In rifle shooting, consistency above all things.

You can spend money on accessories if you like, but in my opinion you'll be better off spending it on ammo for practice. With all endeavors, practice makes perfect, and to get consistent results you've got to spend as much time as necessary to learn how to be consistent. If you want a cheek rest, it's easy to build one. I've done several by using one of those buttstock shell holders, and inserting pipe-foam insulation between the comb of the stock and the shell carrier. Or, you can get an add-on, like the Karsten cheek piece.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 30, 2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Picher

For starters, check how you adjust the parallax on the scope. Don't trust the markings on the adjustment, but turn the ring while looking at the target and move your head side-to-side. When the adjustment is perfect, the crosshairs won't move as your head moves.

Next, play with seating depth of your bullets, starting with them back about .1" from touching lands, then, load 5 rounds each seating depth, say .002" closer with each batch, until getting to .002" from touching. If a sweet spot is found within that range, make more batches with smaller increments on both sides of the sweet spot to further find a better sweet spot. You may get closer to touching, depending on pressure signs, but I like a little jump to keep pressures lower and perhaps more consistent.

If the present stock doesn't have pillar bedding or an aluminum bedding block (didn't see either in the factory description), strongly consider pillar bedding or a stock that has an aluminum bedding block (and do an epoxy skim coat over the aluminum for a perfect fit to your action).

Next, bench technique. Absolute consistency in hold on the bags, pull back pressure against the shoulder, and trigger squeeze are necessary.

Wind flags: If you don't have any, make some, or at least use survey tape to gauge the wind at several intervals from firing line to target. Shoot under uniform conditions whenever possible. It's not necessary to shoot in perfect calm, but shoot when all the flags have nearly the same deflection as the previous shot(s).

Sorry, but I don't reload for the .308, so can't give you any pet loads.