The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 22, 2009, 03:54 AM   #1
Saguaro Firearms

not a clean kill

ok my buffalo hunt went great. and got a good clean kill... but story i want everyone's opinion on. the day after i took my animal, another guy in our group. a guy i dont know at all. made a 150 yard shot on a moving animal with an unfamiliar gun, he hits her through the rear hips or rear of the spine, from the cabin about 800 yards away im watching this animal drag her rear end on the ground with her front legs, i watch this for 12 minutes, i get my shoes on and grab my rifle and start making my way down to her. i get within 10 yards and i skull it. next thing i know the guy who shot her first comes out of the bushes about 100 yards away and ask "what are you doing" which was my question back, apparently he was watching this animal suffer the whole time. which came out to be 15 minutes by the time i got my round into her. the three people that were in the cabin watching all of this go down say i was in the right. everyone that was in the field which were three hunters a guide and the guides helper all say i was wrong, i stand by my beliefs and by my actions. but i really want to know what all you folks would have done in my shoes. this happened at a private ranch with a guide. the guide had moved on with the other two hunters as soon as the first guy made his hit. i don't think he saw that a moment after the animal went down that she tried to get back up. and last but not least, this wasn't a lung shot lets wait her out, this was a rear hip shot animal frantically thrashing around, dragging itself trying to get back up, obviously suffering. i did not see the hunter off in the bushes, i thought all parties walked away with the guide. would you have watched? or taken the animal?
Old November 22, 2009, 04:17 AM   #2
telemark

I would have killed it, anybody that would watch an animal suffer like that should be ashamed.
Old November 22, 2009, 05:24 AM   #3
bswiv

Even if we are charitable and allow that the guy who took the first shot may have been inexperenced and did not really know what was going on or what to do my vote is that you did the right thing.
Old November 22, 2009, 05:42 AM   #4
troy_mclure

+1 on the right thing.

i used a deer tag on a small doe somebody had gut shot once and decided they didnt want to track. i tracked it down and killed it
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 22, 2009, 05:57 AM   #5
Saguaro Firearms

the guy that made the first shot, mid 40's and had been hunting with his dad since his early teens. i cannot explain his thoughts or actions. i wouldnt even know where to begin.
Old November 22, 2009, 06:39 AM   #6
thallub

You did the right thing. Good on you.
Old November 22, 2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Edward429451

If it was a private ranch with a guide...then technically you may have been wrong because he paid for that hunt.

On the other hand, 15 minutes is forever in the field and when the heart says put it down, do it. So you were right. Give the **** his animal and crack him in the jaw once for being irresponsible. He knew he couldn't make that shot.
Old November 22, 2009, 11:30 AM   #8
shortwave

Wouldn`t have cared who paid for the hunt. Wouldn`t let an animal suffer like that. You did the right thing. Taking unethical shots is a sign of a slob hunter which gives us all a bad name:barf:.
Old November 22, 2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ending the suffering was the right thing to do. The naysayers were seriously wrong.
Old November 22, 2009, 11:45 AM   #10
Christchild

Looks like I'm on the BandWagon!

Good Job! I'd shake Your hand if I could.

Avoiding an animal suffering like that is One Of the MAJOR reasons we all work to be Proficient. Yes, our efforts are partially for the Harvest, but much more so the Ethical Harvest.

American. Sportsman. Hunter.
Old November 22, 2009, 12:16 PM   #11
Dr. Strangelove

Good job. You did the right thing.

Sounds like these "guides" need a serious leson in ethics.
Old November 22, 2009, 12:26 PM   #12
jaguarxk120

You did the right thing.
Old November 22, 2009, 12:31 PM   #13
KMAY

Im with everyone else. Dont let the animal suffer. I am tired of bad hunters giving humane hunters a bad name.
Old November 22, 2009, 12:35 PM   #14
cornbush

You definitely did the right thing, he should get but stroked with his own rifle for his lack of action to remedy his buggered shot!
Old November 22, 2009, 12:38 PM   #15
Ricky

You did the right thing

You put an end to inhumane suffering. Any animal we hunt deserves as quick a death as possible. For this hunter to watch this poor animal for 15 minutes is inexcusable. I'm glad you stepped in.
Old November 22, 2009, 01:05 PM   #16
Buzzcook

The evidence you've given pretty much indicates that there can't be a charitable explanation for the inaction of the hunter and guide.

If you walked 800yds to get to the animal they had plenty of time to see you and call you off. If you were safely able to get within 10yds of the animal then so were they.
Old November 22, 2009, 01:15 PM   #17
TimT

Quote:
I would have killed it, anybody that would watch an animal suffer like that should be ashamed.
I agree.
Old November 22, 2009, 02:26 PM   #18
Bigfatts

Quote:
Give the **** his animal and crack him in the jaw once for being irresponsible. He knew he couldn't make that shot.
I agree, although I'd probably slug him in the guts, easier on the knuckles. You definately made the ethical choice for this guy.
Old November 22, 2009, 02:41 PM   #19
Gbro

You did right in my opinion. I would have a chat with the ranch management as there is no dought the shooter will squawk. I have a gut feeling he is of the squawking type
Old November 22, 2009, 07:05 PM   #20
Dresden2001

You absolutely did the right thing and good on you for it. I hunted this year with a friend of a friend who was supposed to be a great hunter.

Turns out he had two doe tags and shot both of his animals in the gut and hindquarters. Took three shots apiece to these does to finish them. He mentioned that he hadn't sighted in his rifle because he couldn't afford to waste ammo/didn't have time. I will never hunt with him again.
Old November 22, 2009, 07:16 PM   #21
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

You did good, I wouldn't ever go back there and I would let them know why. Guide should get unemployed in a hurry if thats the kind of shooting he condones.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 22, 2009, 07:19 PM   #22
jakec2789

i feel you were in the right. probably the only reason the guide says you were wrong was they may have felt that you put yourself too close to a wounded animal? that would be my only guess as to anything you did wrong? not sure though. but i must say i would have risked it and put the animal down too.
Old November 22, 2009, 07:26 PM   #23
jgcoastie

Kudos to you.

To hell with what those shooters (they obviously are not true hunters) say...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 22, 2009, 07:27 PM   #24
fisherman66

You did the ethical thing. Were it I, I'd let the outfit know I don't plan to patronize them again if they can't recognize that.
Old November 22, 2009, 07:45 PM   #25
FrontSight

Why is this even a question? 100% right