The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 14, 2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Jacobie

I love my fiancee, my V-day present

So I own many guns but not a shotgun yet, and have been looking around for what I wanted to be my first. I narrowed it down to the 500 or 870. Anyways my fiancée got me this for valentines day.

I know it's a little ricey, but I kinda like it's tackiness, anyone know if it's real carbon fiber?
Old February 14, 2008, 11:21 PM   #2
RevolverLover

You are a lucky man.

As to if the stocks are real carbon fiber, I don't know. All I remember is them coming with the standard black stocks. Must be something new they came out with.

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old February 14, 2008, 11:24 PM   #3
Jacobie

Yea, I can't find them on Mossbergs website, but have seen them on a couple web gun stores before.
Not quite as cool as the AR she got me for Christmas, but oh well.
Old February 14, 2008, 11:37 PM   #4
tplumeri

She sounds like a keeper. Better marry her quick!
Old February 15, 2008, 02:21 PM   #5
sourdough44

Any woman that gets a guy a gun is a winner in my book. I had a pistol grip on a Model 500 12 ga & didn't like the recoil much. At least you have the regular stock to put on if you want.
Old February 15, 2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Creature

Wow. Nice shotty! But even better to have found a woman who will buy it for you!!

Wait...did she LET you buy it...or did she actually go and get it herself? Not that either is a bad thing.
Old February 15, 2008, 03:13 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sice the poly stocks are plenty rugged the only reason to have carbon fiber would be weight reduction... If it is real CF that stock would be just a couple ounces.. And the jun would kick alot worse... I am leaning towards CF finish. I will buy you and the soon be wifey lunch if it is real CF...
I agree with creature... if she went and got it would be even cooler but either way nice gift...
Does the pistol grip still come with a sling swivel on the other side?
If so the best sling I found is a STRONG luggage shoulder stap with metal (good ones too) snaps. Snap both to it and over the left shoulder under right arm fits just right... I can swing it up from hanging real nice and do not need to remove sling from myself to do so...
Brent
Old February 15, 2008, 03:25 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While I woulda glady bought lunch to meet the lady that bought you a Mossy 500 I won't have to. A phone call to mossberg reveals that all three of your stocks are poly in CF finish. same micro thin material that made the mossy oak type finish possible...
Brent
Old February 15, 2008, 11:06 PM   #9
Jacobie

Thanks for checking Brent, I didn't think it was real carbon, but wasn't sure. And yea, for holidays she gets expensive purses from me and she buys me guns and parts for my STi. Works for me she's happy, and I get new guns. Any links to the strap that was mentioned it does have the places for it and I am wanting one.