The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 31, 2007, 09:02 AM   #1
4dogs

Security six barrel

I am need of a new barrel for a Ruger security six...2 3/4" blue. I've tried the factory and all the various parts dealers I can find, got any ideas? Thanks
Old October 31, 2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Harry Bonar

Ruger

Sir:
I'm sure Ruger would fit you a new bbl. Try again!
It's not my business but why do you need a new bbl. - cone cracked - pitted?
Harry B.
Old October 31, 2007, 12:26 PM   #3
4dogs

Barrel

Harry, I will try again but the lady I spoke with the first two times told me they could not sell any barrels, they had a very limeted supply. I was asking to purchase though, maybe if they fit it like you said, worth a try Thanks. The reason = I actually picked this revolver up at a garage sale this last summer for 25 bucks, it is one of the later models of the security six and looks to be in fine shape except for the barrel, its a mess, looks like the guy tried to drill out the barrel with a black and decker and a hand full of cheap bits, the first inch or so of the inside of the barrel is just chewed to crap the looks like he tried to saw that off with a sawzall or something. The guy at the sale said he did'nt know where it came from any way I think it will turn out to be a fine little revolver when it's finished. Thanks
Old November 2, 2007, 05:19 PM   #4
velocette

I sent my ruger Single Six .22 LR back to Ruger for a new barrel. The price for the new barrel, re-finishing the entire revolver and shipping was $130.00 It came back to me looking like a new revolver. they also replaced all the springs in the gun and tightened up the action.
It did take them 3 months to do it, but the price and the work was excellent.
Was done in May of 2007.

Roger
Old November 2, 2007, 11:30 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

4dogs:
Just so you know, revolver barrels do NOT just "drop in".
Changing a revolver barrel is a MAJOR gunsmithing job, and it requires special tools to do it without ruining the gun.

Among other tools you need a special frame wrench with hard plastic inserts that will fit THAT specific model of Ruger. Not a Colt, not a S&W, and not some other model of Ruger either.
Try to remove the barrel with the old "hammer handle through the frame" trick and you WILL crack, bend, or break the frame.

AFTER you get the barrel off, the new barrel requires extensive fitting and adjusting, and among other tools, this requires a lathe to cut the barrel shoulder so the front sight is aligned.

In short, revolver barrels are not just pieces of threaded pipe you can screw on and have fit.

If you send the gun in to Ruger, they will re-barrel your gun for a decent price, and do it RIGHT.
While it's there, they'll check it out and fix anything else that's wrong, usually for FREE.

Do it without the right tools, and you can kiss it goodbye.