The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2004, 08:50 AM   #1
Rupestris

300 Win Mag/.308

This is probably a noobie question(s) but if you don’t ask,… right?
I’m looking for a bolt action, centerfire rifle. I haven’t completely decided what I want or what I’d like to spend. I'm also thinking that reloading will follow soon after, no matter what I get.
If I decide to go with a 7mm Rem Mag or the 300 Win Mag (or one of the SM/SSM) and get into reloading, can these rounds be loaded to match the performance, recoil, & MV of the cheaper, less punishing .308 or 7mm-08? Would short loading a Magnum be dangerous for any reason? Does the twist rate effect the accuracy when you drop 300 to 600 FPS off the Muzzle Velocity? If so, how drastic?
Thanks, and if this should be in the reloading forum, please move it for me.
Rupe
Old June 15, 2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Dave R

Yes, you can download the magnums somewhat. You have to be careful about it. Too light a load of the wrong powder is dangerous.

But I download my .308 to .30-30 levels a lot, for plinking. I stick with published "light" loads.

Check a couple of reloading manuals for light loads in the cartridges you are interested in. That'll tell you what's feasible.
Old June 15, 2004, 12:49 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Good idea, that - -

- - This thread is more about handloading than the actual rifle or caliber, so I did move to H&R.

Unless you really feel the need for the extreme long range capability, the .308/.30'06, and 7-08/7x57 are more versatile calibers than either .300 WinMag or 7mm RemMag. Brass is usually more reasonably priced, too.

I've done a lot of messing with Elder Son's .300 WinMag. It is wonderful when want to heave 180 bullets as flatly as possible across ranges around 300 yards. It is not so great when you're hauling a heavy rifle with a big scope any place but to a bean field stand. ES and I both tend to carry a lighter rifle of somewhat less sound and fury for most of our hunting.

And the efficiency of the big magnums falls off when you drop to lower intensity loads. Kinda like detuning a Formula 1 racer to drive back and forth to the corner store. It CAN be done, but . . . .

Best,
Johnny
Old June 18, 2004, 07:18 PM   #4
saands

One thing to realize is that when you download a 300WM to 308 levels, you still have that cavernous chamber and that means that you will need a LOT more powder to get 308 levels in a 300WM than in a 308 ... so your cost per round is higher going this route. Recoil will also be greater because you are expelling more powder for a given bullet velocity.

Saands