The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 5, 2007, 03:35 PM   #1
VUPDblue

Help with H&R Model 923

So I have discovered about everything there is to know about the H&R model 923 Revolver. Mine was made in 1955 and it is a 9-shot .22 with a 4" barrel. I have one very big problem with mine: it has no cylinder. The rest of the gun was given to me by the mother of a friend of mine. She told me that she took it from a friend of hers one night about 30 years ago when he came home drunk and waiving it around. Two days later, he was killed in a bar fight. Anyway, she took the cylinder out (that's how you load/unload the thing) and stashed it away in a box until I helped her move a couple years ago. She gave me the pistol (less the cylinder) and said she might or might not be able to find the cylinder. Anyway, I have been looking high and low for a new cylinder and cylinder pin for my little pistol with no luck whatsoever. I was hoping that someone on this board might be able to help me find one. Thanks in advance.

Nick
Old February 10, 2007, 09:11 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Found one! Thanks
Now it is whole again! Took it to the range and it works like a champ. Shoots pretty straight for an old cheap gun...

Nick
Old March 23, 2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Johnny2step

H&R 923 cylender

I have an H&R 923 as well. It wasn't in the best firing condition. As any firearm enthusiast will tell you, you can't dry-fire a rim fire gun because it will put a divot behind the shell where the hammer smacks the rim of the cartridge. The firearm was given to me for free but the person who had it before must have dry-fired it a lot because it's misfiring a bit. I'd like to get a new cylinder for it, if you could tell me where you found them and how much they'll cost. Thanks
Old March 23, 2011, 11:55 AM   #4
aarondhgraham

Hello Johnny2step,,,

You might as well try and find a firing pin for it as well,,,
Dry firing often dents the cylinder but often peens the end of the firing pin.

That effectively shortens it as well.

Good luck.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 23, 2011, 04:57 PM   #5
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

The Model 923 is the Chrome or Nickel plated analogue of the Model 922. The model originated in or around 1949 and ran 'til 1952. The 2nd Model was introduced in 1953 and ran 'til 1961. The 3rd Model was re-introduced in 1977, and ran 'til 1979. The letter prefix in the serial number of your 923 will tell the year of manufacture and the variation. You will need to determine the year in order to order/find the correct parts for your piece.