The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2002, 03:41 PM   #1
18 SHOT

What Do You Think Of The Lee Load Master

I was thinking about geting the piggy back 3 . IT WAS ABOUT $200. But I saw the LEE LOAD MASTER IN MIDSOUTH SHOOTERS SUPPLY CATALOG . www.midsouthshooters.com for $220 thats 4 the whole set up. +++ deluxe carbid dies including factory crimp. ++ extra turrets ++ shell and bullet feeds and tubes. for 5 callabers for $500. that sounds like a hell of a deal. does any one know of or has one of these ???? thx 4 your help
and bores clean
god bless the u.s.a.
Old December 19, 2002, 06:05 PM   #2
blades67

Some folks like them, but some folks like Fords. That doesn't make them right.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old May 18, 2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Sixgun Symphony

They're ok, Though the primer feed tray can be tempermental at times. Just keep it full and it will work.

Last edited by Sixgun Symphony; May 18, 2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old May 18, 2004, 06:42 PM   #4
dodgestdshift

You usually get what you pay for.

Don N.
Old May 19, 2004, 02:57 AM   #5
Tommy gunn

I use the LoadMaster to reload my .45 ACP and .308 Winchester. I had to go slow at first until I figured it out as the instructions are not very clear. It does need to be fine tuned after set up, but it works fine once you know what you are doing.
Old May 21, 2004, 07:57 PM   #6
bdhawk

lee loadmaster

i started reloading in '72. from then today i have had two primers detonate in a reloading press. both of them were in a loadmaster. the primer setup is an accident waiting to happen. there is nothing but cheap plastic between you and the exploding primers. wear all the safety equipment you can find, flak vest, safety goggles, kevlar helmet, and gloves. the case feed will make you lose your religion.
to say anything good or nice about the loadmaster, i would have to tell a lie.

don't take my word for it. check with midway and ask them what their return rate is for the loadmaster.
Old May 21, 2004, 08:52 PM   #7
Jack T.

I've got one. . .It was my first reloading press, so I had to learn as I went. It has churned out thousands of 45 and 9mm for me. . .

That said, as soon as I get my new bench built and some spare cash, I'll be getting a Dillon. The Lee works pretty well except for the priming system. . .which can drive you slap-dab crazy if it isn't *just* right. . .
Old May 23, 2004, 11:44 AM   #8
larry408

I have a Loadmaster but do not use it to install the primers. I have 2 Lee Auto Prime's, one for large promers and the other for small primers. You get a better fill for the primer seating with the Auto Prime.
USAF 68-72
Old May 24, 2004, 08:05 AM   #9
retiredsquid

I've had a LoadMaster for a bit over 5 years and quickly found the primer feed to be junk. I now prime all of my brass by hand and have grown fond of being able to feel them seat properly, so I manually de-prime, resize, and prime as a separate operation -- sort of defeats the reasons for me purchasing the LoadMaster in the first place. I can still churn out some pretty good numbers of handloads with it using my modified procedure by pre-staging primed cases and bullets. I do wish the finished round would always hit the bin, though.
Rich
Old May 29, 2004, 10:43 PM   #10
dan_s

Think you can do alot better for your $500.. The Loadmasters are not very well made.. I tried one, but sent it back.
Old June 14, 2004, 12:27 AM   #11
Bruce Layne

I've been very happy with my Lee Pro-1000. If I was buying one today, I'd get the Lee Loadmaster. They've been selling on eBay, brand new, with the complete setup to load including the powder feed, factory calibrated, and dropped shipped directly from Lee, for $175. That's hard to beat.

I hear what people are saying about the primer feed. It's the same with the Pro-1000. It is a bit fiddly, but once I dialed it in, it works just fine. I've loaded a lot of quality 10 mm ammo on that press. The Loadmaster is bigger, beefier, and has five stations instead of three so I could use the factory crimp die as part of the progressive reloading process.

I'm convinced that Lee Precision introduces more innovations than anyone else, and they are the value leader in the reloading industry. They make reloading fun and inexpensive. I don't have anything bad to say about their competitors, other than perhaps their prices, but I've bought a lot of different products and accessories from Lee, and I'm a very satisfied customer. Their tech support is also very good.
Old June 14, 2004, 06:04 PM   #12
rwilson452

Lee

I have a Load-Master. On the down side it's real picky to set up. on the up side it's just as good as the blue thing and has some accessories the blue one doesn't like a bullet feeder. I have loaded 1000's of 45acp and 1000's of 38spl. presently I have it stripped down to do load development for my 22-250. all the extra stuff gets in the way when your using it as a single stage. I wish I hadn't given my lee turret press to a new reloader. another thing about the Lee family is the turret, pro-1000 and the load-master have the same footprint. by using wingnuts on the holddown bolts you can change out presses in a minute should the mood strike. I have had good success with the Lee dies too. I would give the lee presses the best buy rating. If I was starting out and was intending to have one press to serve all my needs I think it would be either the 4 hole turret or the loadmaster. If your going to be using the press mostly for churning out masses of pistol fodder I would get the loadmaster with all the trimmings.

I trickle charge all my rifle stuff so a progressive doesn't give you much for that. it is nice not needing to readjust the dies constantly as with a one holer.
Old June 18, 2004, 08:35 AM   #13
rsotelo

I love mine!

I have a Loadmaster and I use it for 9mm and 40SW. It works alot smoother with the 40 than with the 9, I think it is because the larger size and they share the same shellplate. They are a little tricky to set up and there are a some items that will drive you nuts, but once you figure out what needs to be tweeked, you will make a ton of ammo quicky.

The biggest problems I had were priming 9mm (never a problem with 40) and adjusting the case inserter. The problems with the priming the 9mm were that the case was not lining up with the primer punch. This was easily solved and problems went away as soon as I bought another sizing die and placed it in the priming station to line up the case with the primer punch.

The case inserter sometimes would not work, but those problems are a thing of the past now. What I noticed is that if your twist the square rod ever so slightly so it is not square with the press, it increases the friction just enough to function flawlessly.

I paid $185 for mine delivered and it has paid for itself 5X over. Not to mention I can EASILY crank out 500rounds an hour

-RS
Old June 18, 2004, 08:30 PM   #14
LynnMassGuy

Check this out.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...threadid=87394
Old June 19, 2004, 07:13 PM   #15
armabill

I sold my Lee LoadMaster and bought a Dillon 550B. Should have done that in the first place.
Old June 21, 2004, 01:08 PM   #16
ojibweindian

Lee's customer service is no good. There's a thread in the General discussions forum of THR that documents this.
Old June 25, 2004, 10:58 PM   #17
Case

The two best things Lee sells are the inexpensive little turret loader and the hand primer.

The Pro 1000 and Loadmaster are both overpriced junk. Anyone who'd put a primer feed like the one on those should be jailed for attempted assault with intent to maim or kill.

For that kind of money you can get a solid piece of equipment like a Dillon or better still a Hornady Lock-N-Load, which is built like a tank and allows you to change from such radically different cartriges as a .460 Weatherby to .38 Special in about five minutes.

But don't plan on using Lee dies with a Lock-N-Load -- the threads are too short.

And don't ever make the mistake of mentioning Mike Dillon to John Lee. He hates his guts because Dillon's machines gave him stiff competition.

I used two Dillon Square Deals for years and never had the first problem with them and only went to the Lock-N-Load for its versatility.

I've still got a Lee Pro 1000 gathering dust somewhere. I'll find it someday and pitch it in the trash, since I can't in good conscience sell it to anyone on eBay.