The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 8, 2016, 02:02 PM   #1
stagpanther

Slam-bolt blues

My latest build in 6.5 Creedmoor seems to over-gassed judging from the heavy bolt-slamming I keep getting--no matter what 308 lower I switch out to. Got a heavier spring and buffer on the way--in the meantime took the upper apart and replaced the ergo gas block with the JP adjustable. Fit was perfect. It's pretty expensive--but then again I've never once been disappointed by a JP product and never had one that did not deliver exactly as advertised.Another snow storm has just started here--hope I can get out this weekend to test.

Old February 8, 2016, 08:37 PM   #2
Mobuck

In my opinion, you started in the right place. Adjusting the gas level is far better than messing with buffers and springs.
Old February 8, 2016, 08:42 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
In my opinion, you started in the right place. Adjusting the gas level is far better than messing with buffers and springs.
Pretty much what I figured--everything else would mask the problem rather than solve it.

I hope. : )

I was worried that the gas adjustment screw would not be accessible through the diamondhead rail--thank God it just barely is. ; )
Old February 9, 2016, 06:50 AM   #4
Mobuck

"I was worried that the gas adjustment screw would not be accessible through the diamondhead rail-"

Yes, sometimes those interference points aren't apparent until it's fully assembled. I had to "adjust" the handguard on one AR to allow access to the screw and now it looks like a mouse nibbled a little notch in it.
Old February 10, 2016, 02:08 PM   #5
stagpanther

Success at Last!!

Packed up my gear this morning and hiked 1/4 mile through hilly 1.5 ft of snow to do a test of my 6.5 CM build sporting the new JP adjustable gas block. Despite the hassles--it was well worth as everything came together as I hoped it would. Felt recoil now is really just a bit snappier than a 5.56 AR, definitely less than any other 308 platform I've shot.

My suspicions of over-gassed barrel port were confirmed to a rather surprising degree--the final setting that reliably cycled, ejected and locked the bolt back was barely over one full turn out from full close!!

Unfortunately, this means I'll have to redo my hand-load ladders previously done since things have changed enough that it will likely throw those results off.

Other than that, I'm one (finally) happy camper with this build. All is right in the jungle again.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 10, 2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old February 10, 2016, 05:55 PM   #6
2damnold4this

I'm glad you got it worked out. Sounds like your setup will be a keeper.