The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 3, 2016, 03:18 AM   #1
ingEneer22

Shedding Some Ounces on the AR

[IMG][/IMG]

Pictured above, a product of a post Sandy Hook parts scarcity and my first AR15 build. I was lucky enough to snag what I though was going to be the last stripped lower receiver available for years! Alone, unafraid and uneducated, I set out with the rest of the black rifle owning community to scavenge for the highly coveted lower parts kit. At the time, I didn't know the difference between a 10 pound mil-spec trigger and one of Bill Geissele's highly tuned marvels. (Let alone, how to pronounce Geissele!) With the help ARPartsFinder.com, I grabbed what I could as items became available. I certainly wasn't concerned with conserving ounces. My light at the end of the tunnel was slinging lead downrange and for all practical purposes this was accomplished. I was as proud as a peacock with my first build on the books!

After several years and a few more builds under my belt, my infatuation with my rifle faded. I found that pulling a mil-spec trigger on an over-weight rifle left something to be desired. Before all you Jersey shore gym jocks make fun of me for complaining about weight, let me clarify. I do not mind a hefty rifle, what I don't like is unnecessary weight that doesn't offer anything in practicality or usability. First to go was the boat anchor of a rail. I swapped out the mid length gas in favor of a carbine length system. This saved me an 1.5" of barrel and 2" of rail. The old stainless 16" match barrel was replaced by a 14.5" Rainier Mountain Series CHF barrel (with a pinned and welded brake). I happily swapped the Troy rail for Daniel Defense's 7.0 Lite Rail III. Let me tell you, they are not kidding, DD's Lite rails are worth every penny. The third generation feature a bottom rail that doesn't protrude as much as the previous models; a feature that makes for a very comfortable grip diameter. I decided to keep the A2 style front sight base. It offers a rock solid front sight and I just like the look. Instead of having it pinned to the barrel, I picked up a set screw version from DEZ Tactical which I highly recommend if you don't want to put holes in your barrel. My gunsmith charged me $30 to put slight dimples in the barrel where the set screws make contact. This and a little lock tight ensure a secure fit. I lost the cliche CTR stock and picked up a MFT minimalist stock. Saved a few ounces but more importantly, it looks badass! Most recently, I installed a Geissele S3G trigger. I've got to say, this trigger is quickly becoming my favorite thing about this rifle.

[IMG][/IMG]

With the ever changing market, who knows, maybe in 5 years I'll want to change something else. That's the beauty of the AR15, just like Legos for an adult!
Old February 3, 2016, 03:55 AM   #2
themalicious0ne

So how much does it weigh now?

Also you should probably get the aimpoint micro h2 or primary arms micro to cut weight too. Haha
Old February 3, 2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Mobuck

" I decided to keep the A2 style front sight base. It offers a rock solid front sight and I just like the look. Instead of having it pinned to the barrel, I picked up a set screw version from DEZ Tactical which I highly recommend if you don't want to put holes in your barrel. My gunsmith charged me $30 to put slight dimples in the barrel where the set screws make contact."

I sort of doubt it's really "rock solid" if it's held in place by set screws but that's just my opinion. Sorry.
Old February 3, 2016, 10:37 AM   #4
ingEneer22

Not as "rock solid" as a pinned FSB but with 5 set screws set into dimples, it is as secure as it needs to be.
Old February 3, 2016, 10:41 AM   #5
ingEneer22

Quote:
So how much does it weigh now?

Also you should probably get the aimpoint micro h2 or primary arms micro to cut weight too. Haha
Ha, great question lol. Looking for a scale that will read in pounds and ounces and I'll let you know. I'm curious myself, I can say that it is noticeably lighter and not near as front heavy.

I was thinking about the aimpoint micro but I think down the road I am going to get an ACOG for it. In the meantime, I am going to swap out the bulky aimpoint mount for something a little more "high speed."
Old February 3, 2016, 11:49 AM   #6
viciouskitty

I did something similar to that years ago, my first AR build was a 20 inch with a quad rail from yhm. The damn thing weighed a ton I'm talking over 10 pounds with a red dot. I wanted it like that because my favorite gun on ghost recon was set up like that ha. Anyways after a few years and getting wiser I decided to ditch the quad rail and go to a slim modular forearm with removable rail panels. The best decision I ever made. The gun is now just shy of 9 pounds but I did add 1 pound of a 1-6 optic, but it enhances my ability to make hits and the weight is further to the rear. I even ran in a shooting biathlon with it last year covering 5 and a half miles while shooting targets, I appreciated the weight loss.
Old February 3, 2016, 12:09 PM   #7
ingEneer22

Quote:
I did something similar to that years ago, my first AR build was a 20 inch with a quad rail from yhm. The damn thing weighed a ton I'm talking over 10 pounds with a red dot. I wanted it like that because my favorite gun on ghost recon was set up like that ha. Anyways after a few years and getting wiser I decided to ditch the quad rail and go to a slim modular forearm with removable rail panels. The best decision I ever made. The gun is now just shy of 9 pounds but I did add 1 pound of a 1-6 optic, but it enhances my ability to make hits and the weight is further to the rear. I even ran in a shooting biathlon with it last year covering 5 and a half miles while shooting targets, I appreciated the weight loss.
Makes a huge difference doesn't it! I could probably shave a few more ounces by swapping out the quad rail for a modular type handguard but the difference isn't significant among 7" forends.
Old February 3, 2016, 12:30 PM   #8
Technosavant

My favorite AR has a BCM upper with a lightweight profile 16" barrel and a Micro T-1 optic on it. It isn't loaded down with rails, lights, or anything like that.

It feels GOOOOOOOD. I haven't gotten nuts trying to shave an ounce here or there, but there's something well balanced about a lighter weight barrel.
Old February 3, 2016, 12:44 PM   #9
Venom1956

Why even have the quad rail? Theres nothing on it. possible the magpul Moe would be even lighter.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 3, 2016, 12:55 PM   #10
ingEneer22

Quote:
Why even have the quad rail? Theres nothing on it. possible the magpul Moe would be even lighter.
I've got a surefire light that I'll put on there occasionally. Besides that, I just like the look. Like I said, not really saving much in terms of weight on a 7" handguard. Also never liked the Magpul forends.
Old February 3, 2016, 02:34 PM   #11
themalicious0ne

If you don't like magpul furniture, you could go with the BCM KMR or MI mlok. It'll save a little weight.
Old February 3, 2016, 02:41 PM   #12
pilpens

Did you switch from MOE grip to MIAD grip? - MIAD is heavier than MOE?
Old February 3, 2016, 04:59 PM   #13
mavracer

Quote:
Makes a huge difference doesn't it! I could probably shave a few more ounces by swapping out the quad rail for a modular type handguard but the difference isn't significant among 7" forends.
I hate quad rails with a passion so that would have been a win win proposition to me. I screwed up a while back when I built my Recce inspired build with a White Oak 16" match barrel and a Geissele trigger and a 3-9 Leupold it weighs under 8# and shoots lights out the problem is as much as I like building ARs I can't think of a need that isn't met with this one.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old February 3, 2016, 10:40 PM   #14
ingEneer22

Quote:
Did you switch from MOE grip to MIAD grip? - MIAD is heavier than MOE?
Yeah, not sure if I'm going to keep it on there or not. Had it laying around and didn't really care for the rubber on the MOE+

Quote:
I hate quad rails with a passion so that would have been a win win proposition to me. I screwed up a while back when I built my Recce inspired build with a White Oak 16" match barrel and a Geissele trigger and a 3-9 Leupold it weighs under 8# and shoots lights out the problem is as much as I like building ARs I can't think of a need that isn't met with this one.
Hahaha! I think there are plenty of people that would agree with you on the quad rails. I personally kind of like the ole cheese graters lol. 7" is not bad but much longer I would agree with you. Too much rail, I hated the 9" Troy rail I had. Heavy, bulky and the dang thing was sharp!