The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 25, 2016, 09:16 AM   #26
g.willikers

I just took a a gander on some of the online gun auctions, and the Marlin Camp 9s seem to be in the $450 to $550 range.
(It's the 45 version that get pricy).
Since they merely look like overgrown rimfires, and use S&W pistol mags, that could be a plus.
Yeah, it's kinda' obvious that I like the whole idea of them.
Too bad they went out of production.
Old January 25, 2016, 03:37 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I think Chiappa makes a 9mm M1 carbine lookalike, have no idea of the quality though.
I own one of the .22s. I forget whether it is ATI or Chiappa badged, but they come from the same factory I believe. It is not hgh quality. I read reviews of the 9mm indicatin the breech opened too quickly and several other flaws. I was excited to buy one, but almost every review I ran across was bad. Maybe they have improved in the last year though.
Old January 26, 2016, 11:36 PM   #28
Ocraknife

I might have a line on a Kel Tec Sub2000 Mk 2 locally. If the price is right I might get it but I suspect the price will not be right.

The Marlin Camp Carbine 9 seems pretty cool from several aspects, not the least of which is aesthetics but from what I've seen these things end up, at auction, at a pretty high selling price. A prime example was a NIB one going for over $1,200!

I can't seem to find a CX4 9mm at a decent price either.

Given this, I'm willing to cede my 9mm jones and move on if the sub 2000 doesn't work out. I will instead try to find a reasonably priced .223/5.56 and give up on the one chambering for all things ethos.

-Jimro
Old January 26, 2016, 11:48 PM   #29
R1145

Have you checked out the Mechtech? I have no experience with them, but if you own an appropriate pistol already, it seems like a cool option...if you don't live out here in Kalifornia...

http://www.mechtechsys.com
Old January 27, 2016, 10:14 AM   #30
g.willikers

I had the opportunity to try one when they first came on the market.
It worked just fine, except for the wire stock it had.
It twanged like a tuning fork.
Otherwise, it's another choice for someone with a suitable pistol.
Old January 27, 2016, 04:45 PM   #31
samsmix

What ever happened to the Ruger PC9?

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old January 27, 2016, 06:21 PM   #32
Ocraknife

Quote:
Have you checked out the Mechtech? I have no experience with them, but if you own an appropriate pistol already, it seems like a cool option...if you don't live out here in Kalifornia...

http://www.mechtechsys.com
That looks pretty cool. I'd love to have a 10mm carbine!

-Jimro
Old January 30, 2016, 09:27 AM   #33
jetinteriorguy

You really should check out the JustRight Carbine, I've had mine for a couple years and after a couple thousand rounds I love it. These things are built like tanks, extremely accurate, very versatile, and have some commonality with an AR15. They can also be purchased with different options as far as mags and further changes due to modularity. I would say the one and only drawback is no last round bolt hold open feature. For me this is no biggie compared to all the positive aspects.
Old January 30, 2016, 09:45 AM   #34
johnwilliamson062

I've been looking for a cheap Glock pistol frame for years to combine with a mechtech. One was listed on Armslist for $65 a few weeks ago and I immediately contacted the poster who replied back, but then he stopped responding. My guess is he got offers above asking price.
I am not really excited about trying to switch back and forth on a frame for both pistol and rifle. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a carry gun and carbine in the same caliber/mags to me. I also don't want to spend $350 on a complete pistol(police trade-in) and then $400 or whatever on a mechtech. Even the $200 Timberwolf or NIB Glock frames put it at a price that doesn't make sense to me. For that price the other options are considerably better IMO.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 30, 2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old January 30, 2016, 09:58 AM   #35
Wishoot

I'm holding out for one of these:

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-scorpion-evo-3-s1-carbine/
Old January 30, 2016, 09:08 PM   #36
Ocraknife

I ended up buying a Gen 2 Kel Tec in 9mm. I fired 25 rounds through it and it's pretty accurate and unbelievably small and light. I mean I've eaten sandwiches bigger than this thing.

It fired everything I fed it and didn't choke once. But... I don't like it. lol.

Oh well. I had to make a decision on the spot because these are hard to find and several were lined up behind me to buy it. Given that, I hope I can sell it and get something that I really want.

-Jimro
Old January 30, 2016, 09:29 PM   #37
Ibmikey

My 9mm carbine is more fun to shoot than you can imagine, low recoil, fast follow up shots and 100% reliable it is called a Colt 6450 LE Carbine. With an ammo can full of loaded surplus cheap Uzi mags (slightly modified) I can plink at rocks and cans for hours. A bit above your budget the " restricted" carbines have gone nutso in price but they sure are on the top of the pile.
Old January 30, 2016, 10:38 PM   #38
tahunua001

keltecs and uzi carbines can also be had at that pricepoint but Hipoints are the better rifle in my opinion. if you raised your budget just another $150 or so youd open the playing field to just about everything but the AR15 and HKs.
Old January 31, 2016, 12:06 PM   #39
Ocraknife

I can go up in price if need be. I'm even ok with a full size 9mm rifle - it doesn't have to be a carbine.

That said I saw an AR 15 variant 9mm carbine for 1,100 at bass pro today. I kinda don't want to go that high.

-Jimro
Old January 31, 2016, 12:52 PM   #40
tahunua001

yes 9mm AR15 are about the nicest carbines you can get but they are also the most expensive and can be difficult to dial in if you build them yourself. personally I would say my second favorite to the AR would be the Beretta CX4 which would fall into that $700-800 range.
Old February 1, 2016, 07:24 PM   #41
Ozzieman

Save your money and get a Beretta CX-4. You will be very happy you do.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/cx4-storm/

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 1, 2016, 07:35 PM   #42
Ocraknife

I can't seem to find any new Cx4s for sale around here. Are they still being made?

-Jimro
Old February 1, 2016, 07:49 PM   #43
Ozzieman

Still available from Beretta

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 1, 2016, 08:06 PM   #44
Ozzieman

A couple of other posts on the Beretta

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ht=beretta+cx4
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hlight=beretta

Old February 1, 2016, 11:59 PM   #45
chris in va

Hmm, Bud's is out of CX4 stock too. Weird.
Old February 2, 2016, 01:05 PM   #46
pgdion

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of options if you don't want an AR style carbine (wich is what oh so many are going to tel you to get). I didn't want a 9mm AR myself. The 2 viable candidates I came up with are the CX4 and the High Point carbine. The CX4 is a quality gun that shoots really well as expected. The thing I really like about it is it's quiet too. A really nice gun. The big up side are the magazines. Uses the same ones as your sidearm (92FS for me) and the 20rd ones are a nice fit for it. That's a nice size magazine in a carbine.

I also have a High Point. What I like about the HP is the price and it has a kind if cool look to it that is quite functional. What I really like about it us it's insanely fun to shoot. Exactly what I was looking for. It has been 100% reliable too and shoots everything. It's only down side is the 10rd magazines. Whish they at least had 15. Love the High Point though, no regrets.
Old February 2, 2016, 01:08 PM   #47
pgdion

We still have CX4's at Bills .... I'll try to remember to check if we can still order them or if what we have in stock is all that's left.
Old February 2, 2016, 06:41 PM   #48
chunky_lover

I put together a 9mm ar -- purchased complete assembles upper and lower parts around $580
but I had milled out an 80% lower for it so I was able to save some costs there as you can get 80% lowers pretty cheap but you need to have all the tools to be able to do one

with the ar platform you can easily convert it to many other calibers using the same lower, even easier if you get the mag blocks that insert from the bottom but those are very expensive sometimes 3x the cost of the top load type, where the top loading mag blocks you have to remove a roll pin to change out so will take some time to do that and some tools, but those are much cheaper to start with
you can always upgrade later too and at least have the ar lower already

the only keltec sub2000 I ever shot im not sure if they are all like this
but the sights were horrible, I could not even line them up I seem to remember the front may have been way to low

not really sure but I had to hold my head sideways and still couldnt pick up the front sight

I did shoot the high point before too, and dont really remember anything negative
but it was ugly
Old February 2, 2016, 07:26 PM   #49
Ocraknife

Quote:
the only keltec sub2000 I ever shot im not sure if they are all like this
but the sights were horrible, I could not even line them up I seem to remember the front may have been way to low

not really sure but I had to hold my head sideways and still couldnt pick up the front sight
I think this might have been my problem too. I think my head is shaped wrong for this gun. Even with low profile hearing protection I just didn't feel like it fit me.

-Jimro
Old February 2, 2016, 07:48 PM   #50
pgdion

Just checked .... No more CX4's being made. When existing inventory is gone, they're history. Bummer, its a really nice gun.