The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 3, 2015, 06:22 PM   #1
Jo6pak

HMG StG-44 reproduction

HMG is bringing a "working man's" reproduction of the MP-43/StG-44to the market. They have made some improvements and simplified the design some; but at heart it remains a faithful copy and not just a clamshell look-alike.
Unlike other reproductions, these will be much more affordable at an MSRP or $1799 and will be offered in different, more available, cartridge options such as 5.56, 7.62x39, and .300 BLK in addition to the original 8mm Kurz.

Original pattern for the purists as well as modernized models will also be offered along with shorter barrel and even pistol versions.

I'm super excited to see these come and hope they live up to expectations.

HMG's website and a few videos by InRangeTV can explain far better than I can.
https://www.hmgunworks.com/product/h...rd-length-223/

InRangeTV vids

Part 1 is the history and design of the original STG-44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSz6dl94t1I

Part 2 shows the modifications that HMG has made to simplify and improve the original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e26eeLHwo0

Part 3 discusses the actual HMG repro and options available.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR3Jz_bcai8
Old December 3, 2015, 08:30 PM   #2
dakota.potts

I work 40 hours a week, but $1799 isn't "working man" price for me! Interesting to see so many companies releasing these reproductions though
Old December 3, 2015, 09:29 PM   #3
ttarp

Isn't the only other option a $5,000 affair? $1,800 isn't totally out of reach at least.
Old December 4, 2015, 07:21 AM   #4
BlueTrain

That's not within my working man's budget, either, but then I'm married.

On the topic of reproductions generally, it's always somewhat disappointing that when something that has been out of production for a couple of decades or longer and then reintroduced, it's usually just different enough to not really be the same. That happened with the Sig P210, for instance. On the other hand, firearms that never go out of production usually are changed one way or another during the course of their production life, though not necessarily for the better.

A few guns are still around, essentially unchanged from a hundred years ago. But that's also a source of complaint, too. Elmer Keith urged Colt to update their Single Action Army and I don't think they ever did.

When Colt reintroduced their black powder series, they picked up the numbering from where it had left off in the 1860s or 1870s. If Colt makes a gun exactly the same as they made a hundred years ago, which they've done, is it a reproduction?
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 4, 2015, 11:28 AM   #5
RickB

Quote:
Original pattern for the purists
7.62x39 won't fit within the StG44's original dimensions, don't think 5.56 will either, so it's going to be closer to an homage to the original, than any sort of reproduction.
I wouldn't have any great expectations of a gun that sorta looks like a StG, that is both more expensive and less practical than an AR chambered for the same cartridges, but there does seem to be some enthusiasm for the "StG44 look", if chambered in a readily available cartridge.
Old December 4, 2015, 04:40 PM   #6
BlueTrain

Ammunition for the originals, all made during the war, is still being manufactured. Some have been captured in the Middle East. They continued to be used in East Germany well after the war and obviously in other places, too.

Although the cartridge and any that are similar is still controversial to some people, meaning they don't think it's powerful enough for an infantry rifle and, anyway, it's not a good deer cartridge, it was close to being revolutionary. Yet it was, or is, less powerful than the 7.62x39. It's less powerful than the 5.56, too, but even if the application is the same, the cartridge is so different that it's really hard to compare.

In both cases, I think they had to wait until the old guard had left and the young guard had taken over before they really became popular. Of course, there's a lot of other factors that were involved and armies have different experiences. At the same time the Germans were adopting a smaller, weaker cartridge, the Italians and the Japanese were adopting a more powerful cartridge.
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 4, 2015, 06:48 PM   #7
peggysue

Actually a very nice 22LR copy can be had for around $400 German Sport Gun STG-44 22 Long Rifle 25+1 mag

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...1+22LR+16.5%22
Old December 8, 2015, 06:51 PM   #8
smee78

I'll stick with the 22LR copy, at least I can afford that one. $1800 is to rich for my blood.
Old December 8, 2015, 07:16 PM   #9
Model12Win

I would only buy one for that price IF it were a very close copy of the original.
Old December 9, 2015, 05:46 PM   #10
Jo6pak

In the research and videos I have seen, it is an improvement while keeping it as true as possible to the originals.
It is not an exact, stamp for stamp-bolt for bolt reproduction. It fixes a few of the known issues and streamlines the design for easier production using up to date materials.

With originals commanding well over $40k, and other recent repros topping $5k. This is as close as most will ever get. Throw in the options of easily available ammo (5.56 and 7.63x39mm) and it's pretty attractive.

I've handled the .22 versions, and they are pretty cool. Is the HMG version, at ~4x the cost worth it? That's a question you'll have to answer yourself. I'd trade my M1A setup for one, though....once they have some out there and prove themselves reliable
Old December 9, 2015, 06:21 PM   #11
Model12Win

Well have fun with your fake, modernized, inauthentic "STG-44" in-name-only parody.

JMHO

YMMV
Old December 9, 2015, 06:55 PM   #12
mapsjanhere

I was sure I'd buy one when I saw the announcement and the price, and sure I won't after watching the videos. I could see why you'd go for a commercial trigger group instead of trying to copy the riveted grip piece, but changing the mechanism takes it from a reproduction to a "in the style off" fantasy gun. Not paying $1800 for that.
Old December 9, 2015, 08:07 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Well have fun with your fake, modernized, inauthentic "STG-44" in-name-only parody.
I have a bit of fun with this fake modernized (ATF compliant) inauthentic (semi only + extra long barrel), but it didn't cost me $20-40 THOUSAND dollars, and is fully legal in my home state.

The HMG Stg-44 may not be a rivet for rivet copy, but its also not a Ruger 10/22 in a plastic MG42 cover. (had one of those, it was fun to look at, not really good to shoot -poor sights)

The price may seem steep, but its quite a bit less than 5K for what is (I assume) a more "faithful" reproduction, or $40K + Fed License for an original.
Old December 9, 2015, 09:18 PM   #14
Model12Win

Quote:
I was sure I'd buy one when I saw the announcement and the price, and sure I won't after watching the videos. I could see why you'd go for a commercial trigger group instead of trying to copy the riveted grip piece, but changing the mechanism takes it from a reproduction to a "in the style off" fantasy gun. Not paying $1800 for that.
+1

Sorry, but for $1800, I want a semi-auto STG-44.

Not a lookalike fantasy gun, which is exactly what this rifle is. No, we don't have an affordable true STG-44 clone, and probably never will.

It's all about being as close as possible while still affordable to the average person. My reproduction Italian made cap and ball revolvers, while costing a fraction of what a real original one costs, are still nearly identical TO the original. Everything from the exterior dimensions to the interchangeable with original internal parts are correct.

There are folks out there, like me, who want an STG-44 clone in semi-auto, as in a REAL clone... this is not that gun. From what I've seen so far, it's about as authentic as the bolt on M1 Carbine stock for the Ruger 10/22 are.

JMHO.

YMMV.
Old December 9, 2015, 11:19 PM   #15
ttarp

Honestly the price isn't anything to get in a huff about, the Tavor started out around that same price, (though its cheaper now) and plenty of folks spent the cash on those. Rather than buying an AK I think I would save the money up for one of these, but ultimately I think I'll pass because I'd rather have a truer copy.
Old December 10, 2015, 01:15 AM   #16
mellow_c

The funny thing is, when I heard these were coming out I thought, "Wow! cool! The only problem being the affordability and availability of the 8mm Kurz cartridge, but it's a whole lot cooler then having a copy of one in 22lr"

And now that I'm finding out they will be offering them in more available and affordable cartridges, I think to myself "But why would I want one if it wasn't in the original chambering?"

Looks like I'll just have to pass on the whole idea. I hope I get to shoot one though someday!
Old December 10, 2015, 11:39 AM   #17
doofus47

I love that they have one in 7.62x39, but my local state laws would limit me to the 10 round mag. And I KNOW I'd like to pull that trigger more than 10 times at any one sitting.
Good on HMG.
Old December 10, 2015, 12:14 PM   #18
JT-AR-MG42

Since you all have expressed interest in one of these (no matter how short lived),
how about you all help out current MP/stG owners.

E-mail Hornady and tell them you are wanting to get one in 8x33,
but you need them to bring back their 125 HP (dropped from the line for some years now)
so that you can re-load for it.

Those sanctimonious sumbeeches have never responded to any of my pleas.

Thanks, JT

P.S. Is it just me, or did those fellows in the video drone on a bit?
Just push your product already!
Old December 10, 2015, 08:19 PM   #19
Model12Win

Privi Partisan sells 8mm Kurz. Nobody needs Horny-days overpriced, underpowered ammo.
Old January 12, 2016, 10:28 AM   #20
paddywonka

Updating the STG-44 & having it available in other calibers with more modern springs, metals, magazines would kind of be like updating the original Colt xm177 carbine. They kept upgrading till we have the M4, available in calibers like 5.45x39, 6.5 Grendel, 300 aac, 6.8 SPC, 300 blackout, 50 beowulf .458 Socom, 9mm,.22 LR & even having it made by other companies with removable carry handles, Brunton bumps, rails & and ever growing number of sights,red dots and lights. We all know how that has turned out! For that matter look what they did to the original Colt 1911. Pretty sure if the war had continued & resources were available the Germans would have continued to update their new rifle, like they did the ME109. I have pre-ordered 2. Married father of two who works on the railroad, but has just enough sense to get in on a good thing.
Old January 12, 2016, 04:52 PM   #21
highpower3006

I ordered one too. I believe that the majority of those that poo-poo these are those that would find an excuse to not buy one no matter what. I ordered mine in 7.92X33 and have managed to buy a few hundred rounds of Privi. I need to get some loading dies and I'll be set.
Old January 13, 2016, 10:20 AM   #22
kcub

Is it a real gun or a Zamak toy?
Old January 13, 2016, 12:32 PM   #23
RickB

Is the AR an aluminum toy?
Old February 1, 2016, 08:04 AM   #24
HamishtheIrishAmish

Thanks for the chuckles,,,,,

I found this thread after seeing a fb post about the HMG, and I had to comment.

Model12Win, I find it fascinating your relentless urge to bash the firearm, over your preference for "authenticity" and yet you completely ignore the fact that you are free to buy a reproduction with those same authentic attributes. If that's what you want, then just pay for it.

As far as bemoaning the alleged lack of ammunition, everyone does know that 7.92X33's patent case is the 8mm Mauser, right? A set of easily obtainable reloading dies and cases are made from ANY of the Mauser/-06 family of cartridges. .243 anyone? Add casting your own projectiles and you get the cost down to about a dime a shot.

Makes that initial MSRP a tad more palatable, doesn't it?

As far as the interchangeability of the trigger pack, in this day and age of the discriminating AR shooter, sounds like a pretty smart idea to me.

IF the HMG "homage" has all the bugs worked out, runs well, and is financially sustainable to produce, more power to 'em!
Old February 1, 2016, 09:22 AM   #25
Skans

My guess is that HMG will not be making these forever; or even for more than a couple of years. So, buy two - one in the original caliber and another in 7.62x39. Then, sell the one in the original caliber in 3 years and you will have paid for your fun shooter!