The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 10, 2013, 02:57 AM   #1
gedenke

G23 gen 4...or XDs?

I picked up a Glock 23 gen 4 recently for my carry gun, and while its a great gun, l'm thinking about trading it off for a Springfield XDs. I'm a small framed guy and I think the slimmer XDs would be a little easier to conceal. Also, I've heard nothing but good about the gun and it has my interest.

Only downside I see is the G23 has 13+1, and XDs is 5+1. I can always carry an extra mag, and besides, do I really need 14 rounds for self defense?

Thoughts?

Oh, on a side note, I'm an experienced shooter and recoil is not an issue, so let's not get into that.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Swampman1

I think you're mistaken about the 5+1 magazine. You should look at the XDm-40 (16+1). I currently have the G19 Gen4, but my next handgun will be the XDm-9

http://www.impactguns.com/springfiel...397877309.aspx
Old March 10, 2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Only downside I see is the G23 has 13+1, and XDs is 5+1. I can always carry an extra mag, and besides, do I really need 14 rounds for self defense?

Thoughts?
Since you asked

Will you need more than 6 rounds of 45ACP? No one here can answer that question for you.

But, 6 rounds is better than none every day of the week and if the bulkiness of the G23 would prevent you from carrying it and the XDs would be on your hip in the same situation then it's a better gun for you IMO.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:30 AM   #4
certified106

Re: G23 gen 4...or XDs?

I have both of those guns and love each one of them for what it is however they are like comparing apples to oranges...... my XDS is WAY easier to conceal and you can wear it all day and forget about it. My G23 Gen 3 is awesome to shoot holds 14 rounds and is quite a bit bigger and bulkier. In all honest there are a lot of situations that I couldn't dress to conceal the Glock even with a nice Galco King Tuck. That being said there are times I strap on the Glock, like when I was helping a lady with an abusive husband move out of her house while her husband was away for a few hours...... it just seemed to me that it was a situation where many things could have went wrong and I wanted extra capacity that my Xds couldn't offer.

After saying all of that mt advice would be to have both of them but if finances don't permit it you are better off having the one you are more likely to have on for any situation. It is better to have 6 rounds then none because you couldn't conceal it!
Old March 10, 2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Swampman1

Ooops I guess I misunderstood what the OP was talking about. I figured since he was comparing the Glock 23, that he was interested in 40 cal...hence I linked a 40 cal. XD.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:45 PM   #6
gedenke

Swamp...sorry bout the confusion on caliber selection. I have, I enjoy, and am set up to reload both 40 & 45. Just looking at a better fit for cc.

I agree that having both would be ideal, but realistically, I'd have to sell off some other guns and/or scopes to do it. I'm still on the fence about it.

And as for 6rds vs 14...in a self defense scenario, while every one is different and you never know, I don't anticipate getting into a hollywood shootout. More like a few, quick shots to get me and my loved ones out of a bad spot. Of course, one never knows if their training and practice will kick in until they are truly in a "stressful" situation. I'd like to think my aim will serve me, but, some "room for error" isn't a bad idea either.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:51 PM   #7
KO3422

I have both and ended up staying with the Glock route. I just liked the ergonomics a bit better. It also doesn't help that I already have holsters for Glocks. I always felt that that more rounds the better.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Swampman1

gedenke I agree with you 100%. But I also tend to think of worse case senarios...what if multiple intruders. Personally, I will always trade a 5 capacity .45 mag for a 15, or in the XDm..a 19 cap 9mm mag anyday. Each person has his own beliefs.
Old April 24, 2013, 06:10 PM   #9
gedenke

<---Happy Guy!

Well, I gone and done it. Sold the Glock and bought the XDs! Haven't had a chance to shoot yet, but I can say this...the Springer is WAY more comfortable and concealable than the G23.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:15 PM   #10

You might also want to consider the XDm 3.8 Compact. It is more concealable than the G23. In .40 S&W, the primary carry magazine gives you 11+1 capacity and the the full size mag with grip extension gives you 16 more rounds for backup. All .40 S&W XDms have fully supported chambers. That alone without any other consideration would make the XDm the easy choice for me. You might also want to look at the 3.8 Compact in .45 ACP to determine how much more difficult it would be for you to carry vs. the XDs. Then there's the Ruger SR40 that's thin enough as a full size that it can be carried as easily, maybe easier than a compact 1911. Not to mention the SR40c.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Axelwik

I did the same about a month ago... Sold the Glock 23 and replaced it with an XDs. Much easier and more comfortable to conceal, and I certainly don't feel under-gunned with 5+1 of 45 Auto plus a spare mag.

Also for the range and truck I also got a Ruger SR45.
Old April 25, 2013, 02:14 AM   #12
ClydeFrog

Glock 30S or maybe the sub-compact 36?....

Did you look at the new Glock 30S .45acp? It's like a 30 .45acp but with a slim slide for better deep concealment.
It was requested & T&Eed by the LAPD detectives of the elite SIS. They use the Glock 21 .45acp but many times need BUGs or compacts for undercover ops.

The slim popular Glock 36 .45acp is a good choice.
It works like a Glock but in a compact concealed package.

CF
Old April 25, 2013, 02:26 AM   #13
ChaseReynolds

Is there a specific reason for the M&P Shield not to be an option?
Old April 25, 2013, 09:17 AM   #14
Double Impact

I have two XDS 45's When I carry just the xds I carry both one in the off side pocket and one on the hip and one extra 7 rd mag. If I carry only one XDS I carry two extra 7 rd mags.
When I carry a full size glock or sig one of my XDS guns are in the off side pocket.

My wife like them alot also so wether I like it or not an XDS is starting to spend a lot of time in her purse.

One of the XDS guns have 1455 rds and the other has now just passed 2000 rds both have been flawless despite some reports I have read.

So just incase you didn't know the 7+ 1 rds are nice and work fine.

I think spring field has done good.
BTW the XDS 9mm is now out not sure about 40.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:25 AM   #15
EdInk

I think the slimmer profile of the XDs will be nicer for CCW. I know Glock likes to call the G23, G19, etc their "compact" models but they are still 4" barrel duty size pistols. The single stack XDs is significantly thinner.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:33 AM   #16
ScotchMan

I see it is after the fact now, but I agree the S&W Shield or Walther PPS in .40 make more sense. Basically the closer we can get to 9mm the better in my mind, and since the OP said .40 or .45, I'd go .40. More capacity is better.

But there's certainly nothing wrong with the XDs either.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old April 25, 2013, 09:47 AM   #17
gedenke

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks, but as I stated in my earlier post, the trade has already been made. The thinner, shorter, size of the XDs fits my frame a lot better, and while giving up a few rounds in capacity, makes actual concealment possible for me. I'm a big fan of the .45acp, and the XDs gives me a slick, neat little package that tucks away nicely.

On a side note, there's a pretty good side by side comparison article on the G30s and the XDs in the latest issue of Recoil. http://www.recoilweb.com/preview-glo...d-s-23093.html
Old April 25, 2013, 10:04 AM   #18
Water-Man

ClydeFrog,

The Glock 30S was having RSA problems frequently just a month ago.

The problem had to do with the slide not returning to battery.
Old April 26, 2013, 10:13 PM   #19
SpareMag

If you want concealability....Kahr? That is their niche. XDs are great, but still bulkier than Kahrs.
Old April 26, 2013, 10:26 PM   #20
BuckRub

Personally I'd stay with the glock 23, but whatever you trade for just don't get the XD. You'll regret it if ya do.