The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Servant

Powder valley on Hazard ship fee

Hello all,

We had talked about the fee associated with shipping powder & primers. I just placed a very large order (for me anyway) from them and I am happy to report that they only charged me one fee. I purchased 24 pounds of powder and 15,000 primers, all for one hazmat fee. Now, if you all don't hear from me anymore you will know that my wife did not appriciate my frugality and has ended my existance! Just kidding, but I might be placed in the dog house for a LONNNNG time, considering that I also purchased $800 bucks in bullets from Midway! Good thing is, I shouldn't have to purchase anything for a while. Have a good one.
Old January 21, 2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, you can order up to 75 pounds total for one fee.
Old January 21, 2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Servant

That's good to know. Now if I could figure out how to get shipping on bullets down! Shipping alone on bullets was $89. I almost called them to ask if they would use flat rate shipping boxes!!
Old January 21, 2012, 12:50 PM   #4
3kgt2nv

many companies will use flat rate boxes. midway uses their shipping as a profit center to off set the prices. did you check natches? usually one of them has free shipping on orders over 99 bucks
Old January 21, 2012, 12:55 PM   #5
wingman

Quote:
I almost called them to ask if they would use flat rate shipping boxes!!
Tried that with Midway it was a big no,I prefer priority mail in many cases
faster/cheaper but in reality the big companies prefer to ship via ups/FedEx
and as another poster said shipping cost are used to off set loss on sales
IMO.
Old January 21, 2012, 12:59 PM   #6
3kgt2nv

its because usps puts the cost to ship on the box. if they charged you $80 to ship the box and you got it and it said it cost them 20 to ship it you would be upset.

you can buy 70 pounds of bullets insured and shipped for 15 bucks with usps and its usually alot faster than ups/fedex. in many cases ups and fedex has usps do the local delivery if there isnt a depot close enough.

I did mail order shipping for a major internet company for 10 years. shipping is a big spot that companies make money

Last edited by 3kgt2nv; January 21, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old January 21, 2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Servant

Yea, I checked Natchez on the bullets, and with the 1st 3000 bullets on the order I saved enough to cover the shipping. I search several places looking for best price. It would be cool if there were a sticky at the top of the handloading forum listing best prices. Also, I was on a motorcycle forum and I was able to barter a deal with a dealer on extended waranty. Normally was about 368, and we got it down to 125 from the volume of people purchasing this. Maybe one of the companies would go for something like that, has anyone tried?
Old January 21, 2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Shipping alone on bullets was $89.

Wait.... what?!

How many bullets did you order and what kind?!

Montana Gold ships bullets for FREE!
Old January 21, 2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Servant

I ordered 10k.

.45ACP, .223, & .357's

Last edited by Servant; January 21, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old January 21, 2012, 02:51 PM   #10
3kgt2nv

what brand?

the 45 and 357 could have come from alot of places with free shipping. the 223's could have been had from berrys also since they sell winchester 55gr .223
Old January 21, 2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Servant

Just looked at montana Gold, and the total cost was still cheaper @ midway with the shipping. Too bad I don't live near a good priced place!! Paid $125 for .45ACP 230grn HP's, and Montana was $191, so with the 1st 1000 I came close to covering the shipping cost, Natchez was cheaper, I want to say they were $151/1k. Although it was cheaper going the way I did, paying that steep shipping charge really hurt!!
Old January 21, 2012, 03:02 PM   #12
3kgt2nv

link to the 1k 45 230 hp's???? they arent even on midways site

ok found them they were the reinier
Old January 21, 2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Cascade1911

Just keep in mind there is no such thing as "Free" shipping. You are going to pay for it one way or another. (Just like every thing else..TANSTAAFL)
Old January 21, 2012, 03:09 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just looked at montana Gold, and the total cost was still cheaper @ midway with the shipping. Too bad I don't live near a good priced place!! Paid $125 for .45ACP 230grn HP's, and Montana was $191, so with the 1st 1000 I came close to covering the shipping cost, Natchez was cheaper, I want to say they were $151/1k. Although it was cheaper going the way I did, paying that steep shipping charge really hurt!!
Really! Well that's good to know. Last time I bought bullets (357sig and 10mm), Montana Gold was much cheaper than other places I looked with similar bullets.

Still, shipping prices make me twitch. I might be paying it either way but I'd rather it was hidden. All in all, bottom line wins though.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:14 PM   #15
3kgt2nv

last month I ordered 7000 berry plated 45's in 230gr for 125 shipped so you dont always pay for shipping. sometimes its just a matter of waiting for a sale. for example midway sometimes runs free shipping over 99
Old January 21, 2012, 03:18 PM   #16
BDS-THR

You do know Powder Valley sells jacketed/plated/lead bullets?

Although I am a fan of Montana Gold jacketed bullets for match shooting, if you want free shipping on bullets at lower price (especially for range practice/plinking rounds) check out:

RMR Reloading - Free shipping on all orders. They carry an assortment of new and pulled jacketed/plated pistol bullets and rifle bullets with some at really good prices. Inventory does change so check the website regularly or ask for email notification.

TJ Coneveras - Good prices on Berry's/X-Treme plated pistol bullets with free shipping over $45 ($5 shipping if under $45). Sign up for email notification and get notified when bullets go on sale.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:45 PM   #17
jepp2

Quote:
The limit from Powder Valley is 48 pounds, not 75 pounds. It is listed near the middle of their home page.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:56 PM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Hm. Right you are.
Old January 21, 2012, 10:13 PM   #19
CrustyFN

Quote:
Quote:
The limit from Powder Valley is 48 pounds, not 75 pounds. It is listed near the middle of their home page.
I think the 48 pounds is powder unless things have changed. It was my undertanding for one hazmat you could get 70 pounds of primers ( 50,000 ), or 48 pounds of powder, or 48 pounds of powder and primer mixed. I have placed a 70 pound primer order from PV and was only charged one hazmat.
Old January 21, 2012, 10:56 PM   #20
Red Dog

Check Grafs and their 4.95 cost. They beat Midway.
Old January 22, 2012, 12:31 AM   #21
mrawesome22

As said, no such thing as free shipping.

They just jack the price of the product up to make up for free shipping claims.

To me I'd rather pau a little more and have peace of mind that knowing they will make it right if something gets screwed up or gets broke in transit, and midway is the gold standard in that department.

I ordered from Graf's once. Not a single e-mail conferming my order, not a single email saying my order shipped, no tracking number.... Nothing.

The order eventually showed up but they had me totally in the dark and it seemed that they wanted it that way.

That was the $4.95 shipping crap.

No thanks. I'll pay a little more and know exactly what is going on.

It really soured me toward Graf and that was the only time I ever ordered anything from them.
Old January 22, 2012, 04:45 AM   #22
3kgt2nv

Yeah I hate companies that with today's shipping technology doesn't send tracking info automaticly. Anyone that uses mayor shipping ups/fedex/usps there is software to tie tracking to invoices and autosend the info.
Old January 22, 2012, 06:55 AM   #23
Fullboar

Just so you know alot of these places (Midway & Natchez ect) will match others prices if you ask.
Old January 22, 2012, 07:34 AM   #24
lockinload

I bought 3000 9mm from wideners and the shipping was free. I normally find that shipping costs, when applicable, are about the same cost as what I would have paid for sales tax which must be put into the equation or savings.
Old January 22, 2012, 09:15 AM   #25
FatWhiteMan

I haven't made my annual spring stock-up order yet but last year it was cheaper to buy Berry's bullets from Powder Valley than it was to buy them direct from Berry's.