The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2011, 06:57 AM   #1
poline

Bell dia.

I started seating the bullet at different depths, hopeing to bring it even with the shoulder of my 5" barrel. (45acp 230gain LRN) I did not realize that I was headspaceing on the bullet.
One rd had a OAL of 1.249, 3/4 turn crimp, with a bell of .470, it was still 1/16 above the shoulder of the barrel. It is not my practice to run lead bullets thru the Lee Factory Crimp, but I did, after that the rd fit flush with the shoulder of the barrel!
Another bullet I seated at 1.245 and after a 1/2 turn crimp the rd was 1.214 and 1/16 above the barrel shoulder, I then rain it thru the Lee Factory Crimp
it was then an OAL of 1.216 with a bell of .468 and it fit flush with the barrel
shoulder!
Point: How can I use the regular bullet seating die to make the bell smaller?

I conclude, that with the exception of the minimun and maxium length, the length has nothing to do with the the rd fitting flush with the barrel shoulder!
I'm thinking that the bell is what makes this happen.

Point: How can I make the bell smaller with the standard bullet seating die?

Any replys or reponse are greatly appreciated and to the forum and all its
members " Have a happy Thanksgiving"
Old November 21, 2011, 07:59 AM   #2
Don P

Quote:
I started seating the bullet at different depths, hopeing to bring it even with the shoulder of my 5" barrel. (45acp 230gain LRN) I did not realize that I was headspaceing on the bullet.
One rd had a OAL of 1.249, 3/4 turn crimp, with a bell of .470, it was still 1/16 above the shoulder of the barrel. It is not my practice to run lead bullets thru the Lee Factory Crimp, but I did, after that the rd fit flush with the shoulder of the barrel!
Another bullet I seated at 1.245 and after a 1/2 turn crimp the rd was 1.214 and 1/16 above the barrel shoulder, I then rain it thru the Lee Factory Crimp
it was then an OAL of 1.216 with a bell of .468 and it fit flush with the barrel
shoulder!
Point: How can I use the regular bullet seating die to make the bell smaller?

I conclude, that with the exception of the minimun and maxium length, the length has nothing to do with the the rd fitting flush with the barrel shoulder!
I'm thinking that the bell is what makes this happen.

Point: How can I make the bell smaller with the standard bullet seating die?

Any replys or reponse are greatly appreciated and to the forum and all its
members " Have a happy Thanksgiving"
First I have to ask what problem are having with your ammo. I have only loaded hard cast lead with my Lee dies to the tune of just under 20,000 rounds. Lees factory crimp die crimps without causing the bell. I am loading at a OAL of 1.253" for my SA Mil-Spec.

To answer the question about bell and the standard seating die. You will need the factory crimp die to remove the bell other wise you are urinating into the fan and hoping not to get wet.

Do the rounds chamber? Cycle? Shoot?
The only way you can be head-spacing on the bullet is to have your OAL too long. On my reloads once I get to the length of 1.260 I start to head-space on the bullet. I don't see how you are head-spacing on the bullet at a OAL of 1.216.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 21, 2011, 09:44 AM   #3
243winxb

Quote:
How can I use the regular bullet seating die to make the bell smaller?
An RCBS die is screwed down more into the press. This give you a smaller taper crimp at the case mouth. I feel your COL is also to long. Seat the bullet deeper and/or adjust crimp.
Old December 23, 2011, 10:57 AM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
You will need the factory crimp die to remove the bell other wise you are urinating into the fan and hoping not to get wet.
A standard seating die with a taper crimp will remove the bell plenty adequately. No need for a Lee FCD. Save your money.

When you are applying more crimp by screwing in the seating die are you backing out the bullet seating stem?? If not you are shortening your COL.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~