The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2011, 10:56 PM   #26
thesheepdog

Do you guys clean your brass after shooting?
Old January 4, 2011, 08:08 AM   #27
4runnerman

Do you guys clean your brass after shooting

I have about 2000 cases each cycle,so the ones i shoot go off to side till i run through all 2000,then i tumble. I find it easier to keep count of how many times they have been reloaded. This way all cases have been fired same amount of times. After i tumble all 2000 i prime all at one time and they go in a ammo can and i grab what i need to reload each time,till can is empty again. Silly,but it works for me. I have expiremented enough that i know what primer,powder,and bullet weight im using now. Im all done testing
Old January 4, 2011, 09:23 AM   #28
demigod

Quote:
Do you guys clean your brass after shooting?
I fire up the tumbler as soon as I get home.
Old January 4, 2011, 01:18 PM   #29
Dr. Strangelove

I don't have a minimum number I'll load, I've loaded three cartridges to go hunting once or twice.

Typically I'll load a box of rifle (20) or pistol (50) at a time, but I'll load five cartridges and go to the range (12mins away) just to test sometimes.

I try to tumble my brass as soon as I get home, even if not, it gets tumbled before the loading process begins... and then again after, to get the lube off!
Old January 4, 2011, 01:47 PM   #30
4runnerman

I used to tumble after to get lube off,but i found out in my case(lazy) i was not paying enough attention to case quality. Now i hand wipe each one and inspect as i do that. I find that i can catch more errors and drag my reloading proccess out another hour or two.
Old January 4, 2011, 02:50 PM   #31
wncchester

"What is the minimum number of rounds you'll load/reload per session?"

I can't see how the answer could possibly be helpful? Smallest "batch" I've ever reloaded was one, but I've done that quite a few times over the last 4+ decades. Sometimes that's all that's needed to test a new idea or try a new method. ??
Old January 4, 2011, 02:55 PM   #32
Doodlebugger45

I typically load about 20 rifle cartridges in a session and 50-100 revolver cartridges in a session. With my new turret press, I have to be careful in the winter because I can easily load so fast that I'll be out of bullets or brass pretty quickly and then I won't have anything to do the rest of the week. I definitely have to buy some more brass for the winter time. So much time to reload, so little time to shoot.

The turret press has sped up the pistol loading. No real difference for rifle loading though. In the winter time I can dink around for 2 hours just loading up 20 rounds if I feel like it. All kinds of time to make trivial measurements and adjustments if I don't have anything better to do.
Old January 4, 2011, 02:56 PM   #33
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnerman
I find that i can catch more errors and drag my reloading proccess out another hour or two.
I load on a single stage (Lyman Orange Crusher), so I check mine as they come off, and; I'm single.... so I don't need to drag out the reloading process....
Old January 4, 2011, 03:44 PM   #34
4runnerman

I'm single.... so I don't need to drag out the reloading process....

Geez Dr Strangelove,,Was it that easy to tell?? Ha Ha
Old January 4, 2011, 05:19 PM   #35
700cdl

Sometimes I'll do a load work up and load just a few with each small batch having varied powder charges, so it really just depends on what your particular purpose is.
Old January 5, 2011, 05:13 AM   #36
Win_94

I loaded 5 yesterday; shot one of them.
Old January 6, 2011, 02:16 AM   #37
Ideal Tool

Hello, thesheepdog. Thats a good question...When I was trying to find a load for my .22 Hornet using cast-bullets, I got tired of the near 20 mile round trip to range, only to have to pull bullets that didn't shoot...and pulling gas-checked bullets is a pain because half the time the darned check remains in case neck! I had made up a powder charge chart one rainy weekend & triple checked all loads to markings on my Harolds Schuetzen measure. I brought about 15 loaded rounds...three shot groups..just to see if they would group. The rest of brass was neck sized & primed. I got quite a few funny looks from the other guys at range when I set up my measure. For bullet seating I used a Wilson seater with Sinclair micrometer top...I can seat both jacketed & cast bullets with pressure from palm of hand..didn't bother with re-priming, brought enough primed cases along for day's shooting...It sure beats running back home to a loading press every time you want to change something, or repeat a load. As a result of all this work...about 5 years worth! I finally equalled best jacketed accuracy with cast at 100yds. On a good day, this rifle will shoot well under 1/2" Best of luck!