The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 18, 2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Hardy

bluin/not just nics and scratches

Well, it was last may of 09 when I stumbled across this wonderful thread. I opened a BP shop then and hadn't toyed with BP revolvers since 1980. I was dumb as dirt. Now I'm dumb as rocks Anyway, it has been a great experience, but no money Ha! But I like my colt 1861 uberti navys BUT the 3'rd gen 1860 Army the best!!!

Bluin has been a topic in shop. No one really can do it like factory. Birchwood will not work but I did come across G96 gun blue cream. It's amazing! I know most of you might know. But share expertise perfavor

HARDY
Old June 18, 2010, 10:03 PM   #2
DocHoliday

Blue Wonder

For bluing try out blue wonder from novum solutions. I have had good luck with it thus far. Surface prep. is a must. I use 0000 steel wool and polish it until it shines. Heat it then clean it. Lil acetone to remove all oils the blue it by following the instructions.
Old June 19, 2010, 12:06 AM   #3
arcticap

Hardy, Bass Pro has the G96 Gun Blue Cream but there aren't any user reviews about it. If it's really good stuff you should write a review about it and post it over there.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...005000_425-5-0

madcratebuilder has posted about how to use Herter's Belgian Blue with photos of some beautiful results:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...t=belgian+blue

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...8&postcount=44

Last edited by arcticap; June 19, 2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old June 19, 2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Hardy

well arti-I can't post reviews to Pro Bass but I can tell you that a reputable gun dealer here blessed it. I had a bad barrel that birchwood perma or that super blue couldn't do nothin! One application, 1 min later washing w/cold water--a 2nd app leaving 1 min out in humid heat-washin w/cold water then wiping w/(MUCH) remington gun oil did almost a factory bluing. I ain't a professional at this just a novice w/idle hands at de time