The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Oberg

New Remington Pump?

What do you guys think of Remingtons new 887 synthetic pump shotgun? After reading about it in guns and ammo I have mixed feelings. not sure if i don't like it cuz it is new or cuz of the position of the pump. But why compete against themselves? why not just call it an 870 with a different name behind it? Thoughts plz
Old February 12, 2009, 09:07 AM   #2
SigSire

I've been investigating it and I'm not sure about it either. Unfortunately, I won't know until I get a chance to shoulder it, or better yet fire it.

Quote:
But why compete against themselves? why not just call it an 870 with a different name behind it? Thoughts plz
I think they are doing it right-- it would be highly unwise to call it an 870, because frankly it appears they are very different. No sense in messing with a cult classic firearm that is still so popular today. I think it is better for them to test the waters first using a new name and not muddy the reputation of an established gun.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Doyle

Remington's track record of late with its new firearms has been very poor. The 710 was a total flop and the 770 isn't much of an improvement. They have been letting the beancounters design their new guns and the results haven't been good. I haven't seen their new shotguns yet, but if it was designed for "economy" then I'd stay away.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:25 AM   #4
SigSire

Pictures/description here: http://www.gunsandhunting.com/forum/...ller/index.php
Old February 12, 2009, 09:30 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Looks like my kind of gun
Old February 12, 2009, 10:58 AM   #6
john1911

Knock-off of the Nova/SuperNova?
Old February 13, 2009, 02:40 PM   #7
zippy13

It's going to take a little getting used-to; but, so did the M16/AR15. I remember telling a friend, a few years ago, when the topic of the "new" synthetic shotgun stocks came up: If you'd just invented the shotgun today, the use of wood probably wouldn't enter your mind. We have wood on shotguns because of tradition, not engineering economics. Many of us are old enough to remember the tempest caused by the introduction of the plastic pistol. When was the last time you heard someone complain that his new TV didn't cost a lot more and include a real wood surround/cabinet?
Old February 13, 2009, 05:21 PM   #8
T191032

"Knock-off of the Nova/SuperNova?"

That is kinda how I feel about it.
Old February 13, 2009, 06:41 PM   #9
L_Killkenny

Ugly thing isn't it?

Quote:
The 710 was a total flop and the 770 isn't much of an improvement.
You can say that again brother, what a couple turds. The new shotty doesn't look any better...
Old February 13, 2009, 11:40 PM   #10
Smitty in CT

I have a question....

Some of the Express models have had issues with surface rust if they aren't kept oiled... Since these are covered with plastic, does that mean if these do rust, the rust just eats away until there's a problem?? At least if it's covered with the camo, the camo will blister or flake away if there's any problems on the surface.

Or, are these things "rust-proofed" ??

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old February 13, 2009, 11:44 PM   #11
JWT

Guess I'm too much of a traditionalist to like it, just based on it's looks.
Old February 14, 2009, 12:53 AM   #12
TxGun

If it proves to be reliable, I can see me buying one. A shotgun that can really handle rough treatment and is virtually rust-proof. As a truck gun and a gun I could carry in the rain with no worries? Yeah, I could see myself with one of those. Hell, I'd probably cut the barrel to 20"-21" or so (or buy one if they make one that short). Be about perfect for what I like in a truck gun.
Old February 14, 2009, 04:15 AM   #13
predator86

a plastic reciever is just way to far.....remington just needs to focus and fire whoever keeps coming up with these ridiculous looking firearms that dont function all that well...
Old February 14, 2009, 09:20 AM   #14
Tom2

I guess if it turns out to be a proven design and reliable, it would be something I would want, if I owned a big boat or needed a mud crawling combat shotgun. That is, if they make it in a short barrel version like some kind of persuader or the like. Might be aiming at the LE market with a shotgun that can set in the cruiser and not get rusty when Dep. Dawg spills his Coke and cheesy fries on it. If that is what they had in mind, well I will look to see if they come out with a LE / Paramil. version any time soon. I don't see me trading the Wingmaster quite yet.
Old February 14, 2009, 01:00 PM   #15
Messersmith

The Nova/Super Nova has already proven that a mostly polymer shotgun would do well in the market. So I think the 887 will be a hit - especially if the retail price is under $350 as G&A said.

On the other hand, I don't think people were/are ready for a polymer type rifle like the 710 & 770.
Old February 14, 2009, 01:53 PM   #16
RetiredLawman

I love my Nova. Polymer is tougher than steel. These guns are pertnear indestructable and can take any kind of weather. The only part that can corrode is the choke tube and it may be made of stainless. This is the perfect gun for those who hunt around salt water.
Old February 14, 2009, 02:47 PM   #17
jmr40

I love the 870 but Remington simply cannot build one that can compete with the Mossberg 500 and sell at the same price. While the 870 is a better gun in my opinion they have cut too many corners and are having QC problems trying to sell it for under $300. The Nova may actually be the best of the 3 but it does not fit me at all.

If Remington can find a way to sell a quality pump with the same feel as an 870 and the same quality as a Nova they may have a winner. I want to wait until they get in the market and see how they do. Would love to handle one.

My first impression however is that it is going to be another flop like the 710. I hope I am wrong.
Old February 14, 2009, 03:03 PM   #18
Creature

Looks like a Ford with just enough bond-o to make it look like a Lamborghini.
Old February 14, 2009, 05:40 PM   #19
Tom2

If steel 870's go "click clack" when loading, how do the plastic ones go? "boing poof"?
Old February 15, 2009, 06:07 AM   #20
Howaido

I think I will stick with the 870. I suspect I am not alone.
Old February 15, 2009, 09:28 PM   #21
CrazyAirborne

looks ALOT like the new Stoeger 350.

or here : http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir..._p350_pump.php

even has that same forgrip shape and stuff..

ill post the remie for comparison.
Old February 15, 2009, 09:50 PM   #22
Maromero

Take it to the boonies duck hunting. Just abuse it like no firearm should be abused. If it works, I really don't care how it looks, which by the way is not a really good looking firearm at all.
Old February 15, 2009, 10:10 PM   #23
BIGR

Looks like it might just be an all weather gun. Kinda like years ago I said I would never buy a plastic pistol (Glock) and dang if I didn't buy one and it is one of my favorites. For years I have been thinking about a durable all weather shotgun that will not rust after a hunting trip in rough weather. Don't get me wrong I take care of my guns and oil them, but miss one little spot with the oil and there is that ugly rust popping up. I guess time will tell if this new shotgun will be a hit.
Old February 18, 2009, 07:43 PM   #24
Katrina Guy

being a photographer, I can remember up until around 1979,

Nikon only made three models, and they were NIKONS!, THEN, falling into the We must compete with the amatur photo market, they ceased making Professional ONLY cameras and the rest is Nikon history...and like Nikon, many many once Iconic products or product mfgs have done the same...point being, yes, at one time an 870 was AN 870!, now....well....we must compete with those unwilling to pay a decent price for a real product, must'in we.
I think the irony of ironies is for Mossberg, an inexpensive firearms mfg by anyone's standards, felt the need (and I'm sure they are correct in this need), to actually mfg a less expensive shotgun!?????, enter the Maverick line. (I own and love my Mossberg so not bashing Mossbergs).
Some outfits, such as Browning have not compromised their name (to my knowledge), however the rest of just about every ONCE name brand iconic product mfg has prostituted themselves for the cheaper products competing line.
Time was when you bought a Remington 870 that was THAT, now it's more like, OH, you want the the REAL 870...then the sales person pulls out the Wingmaster. And Detroit wonders why the American consumer has turned their back on them.
Best, Katrina Guy (fed up American consumer)

Last edited by Katrina Guy; February 18, 2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: add on
Old February 18, 2009, 07:59 PM   #25
BigJimP

There is nothing I hate worse than a polymer handgun ( like a glock ...) / but my hate of Glocks, has a lot more to do with their crummy triggers and general workmanship than the material itself ... There isn't anything inherently terrible about poly .... or especially carbon fibre.

I must admit, I did purchase a Benelli super sport ( synthetic carbon fibre stock and forend ) .... and its a nice gun. In terms of this pump, I did see some articles on it - and for a utilitarian shotgun, and keeping some of their costs down, I can see synthetic has its place.

Browning is making a number of shotguns with synthetic stocks - especially in the Cynergy lineup / but some of their semi-autos, etc.

But I think the question for me - is it synthetic - and durable / or is it junk and poorly made ? I don't really know the answer on this gun. I can tell you the Benelli super sport is a very durable and well made gun ( based on my experience with it over the last 3 years or so ).