The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 1998, 01:21 PM   #1
wolfz

I'm starting to reload for my V-match flat top with varmit shooting in mind (sod poodles, and yappers). The barrel is 22" with 1 in 9" twist. Any suggestions for powder, pimers and of course bullets.
Thx, [email protected]
Old October 22, 1998, 03:26 PM   #2
Paul Harlow

When loading for the AR-15 or any Gas Gun, we have found that H335 is hard to beat, Winchester 748 is also a good powder in the Gas Guns. We get less carbon build up on the gas tube and bolt, as we do with other powders. As for a load that is very accurate in a Gas Gun try 25.5 gr. H335 - 55gr. Hornady V-MAX - Winchester Small Rifle Primer - Government Case - OAL 2.210 or try 26.0gr. H335 - 50gr. Hornady V-MAX - Winchester Small Rifle Primer - Government Case - OAL 2.200.
</P>

The government cases seem to hold up better than commercial cases, but when using government cases back the powder charge down 10% below that you see listed in loading manuals for commercial cases. This is due to less case volume in the government case as in the commercial case.
</P>

When loading for any Gas Gun always Full Length Size using a Small Base Sizing Die & always use a Head Space Gauge to setup your Loading Dies before loading or you WILL get Dangerous Slamfires.
</P>

Your 1/9 Twist will shoot all bullet weights accurately. We do not recommend anything below 50gr. for any 1/7 twist. Remember you do not need a heavy bullet for a fast twist! You do need the fast twist to stabilize the (longer) heavy bullets.</P>

Old October 22, 1998, 07:08 PM   #3
Bottom Gun

I've always had good luck with 21.2g of 4198, Winchester std small rifle primer, and Sierra 52g BTHP. I believe Sierra's stock # for that particular bullet is #1410.
I don't know if this bullet is intended for varmints, but it has always given me explosive downrange results.
Old October 23, 1998, 11:49 AM   #4
wolfz

I've got several inputs on using a small-base die for full length resizing. Would not a Lee factory crimp die do the same thing?

Thanks for the loads.