The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2005, 05:24 PM   #1
Big Yac

RCBS Rockchucker

I am in the process of building a new reloading bench. I am going to get a Rockchucker to reload my rifle/handgun ammo. My question is, how far apart are the bolt holes which are used to bolt the Rockchucker down? I'm asking this because I dont have the press yet and I'm wanting to reinforce this area to make it good and solid so when I do get the press I can just mount it there. Thanks
Old May 2, 2005, 06:12 PM   #2
Sturm

Big Yac, I don't know the exact dimension, but a 4" square area should cover it. BTW, I used 2' solid wood door stock (old) for my bench top and stacking plywood will accomplish the same. I wanted to respond because the last time I bought a SS press, I came very close to getting a Rockchucker, and later if you get the piggyback conversion you can have a progressive if you need it. But, as purely a SS, it's still a great one. Oppinions seem to be very mixed on the piggyback's utility.

The reason I didn't buy the Rockchucker is because I became preoccupied with top dead center and the only company that offers the feature to my knowledge, is REDDING, so I bought the BOSS 7 years ago and it was less expensive. The Ram diameter is smaller, but I have plenty of leverage for rifle cartridges, then again I am a fairly large man and don't shoot steroid magnums. I still load all of my handgun ammo on the SS and OAL of my cartridges is probably a higher priority to me than it seems to be for most. You can always accomplish this with a micrometer seating die, but I dont need one. The ram on the Boss stops almost exactly at the same stroke of the ram. Close as you will ever come to exact anyway. My handloads are consistently +/- .001" without the use of a mic on the seating die and the only way I would buy a mic seating stem now would be for a benchrest competition rifle and even then it could be overkill. Just thought I'd let you.

Then again, if I were a reloading equi. salesman, it would have to be for REDDING. Everything they make is above and beyond and the misconception that everything they make and sell is more expensive is just that. i.e. you can pay me now, or pay me later! I don't like to have to buy anything twice and I won't even consider new dies that don't say REDDING. Just my own oppinion, but one I have been thanked for several times in sharing. The Rockchucker is a great press and if you want a large ram you might also look at the REDDING Ultra-Mag, the Boss is all I will ever need!
Old May 2, 2005, 06:39 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

On the bolt hole question - first of all, they aren't holes, they're slots, so that gives you some leeway in your plans. My bolts (3/8" machine bolts) are 3 1/4" apart on centers. You can go from that distance out to 3 3/4" and still be well within the slots. Slot width is 1/2" max.
Old May 2, 2005, 06:47 PM   #4
Edward429451

My RC'ers footprint is 4.5" wide by 3.25" deep pretty much. The bolt holes are 3-3/8" wide ctc, and 1.75" off the edge of the table.

I took these measurements as installed on mine, measuring from above so maybe as much as 1/4" off. I'd wait before drilling holes until you can set your RC on the table and pencil in the bolt slots. hth's
Old May 2, 2005, 08:10 PM   #5
CaptainRazor

I think I mounted mine with 5/16" carriage bolts, with fender washers on the bottom.
Seems like the square part on the bolt fit the slot pretty close to keep them from turning. But then, I could be wrong, I'm not looking at it right now.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:43 AM   #6
Big Yac

I do know the bench top is nice and strong, I used several pieces of the 3/4" plywood we had here and put them together(the top measures 8' x 3' which should give me plenty of room) I am going to agree with Edward and wait until I have the RC to drill the holes and all. And yes Sturm I am atleast getting the Redding profile crimp die for my .454 Casull loads since I hear they make a really nice tight crimp....which is what that caliber needs. Also I'm going to use a piece of Marlite on top of the bench. I'll post a picture or two when its all done. I'm excited
Old May 3, 2005, 12:51 AM   #7
Sturm

Sounds great! Good luck!