The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 31, 2016, 09:35 PM   #26
chris in va

I have a BSA 4x on my CZ carbine and it does surprisingly well for the price.

I'm a bit confused about these 1-4x optics though. Cabela's has a few and at the 1x setting it doesn't 'cowitness' with my other eye. The magnification doesn't line up until about 1.75x.

But anyway for 500 yards you'll want at least a 3x9 scope. My 4x lets me hit a steel plate at 300 but it's not for accuracy.
Old January 31, 2016, 11:10 PM   #27
farmboy

I always hate it when "that guy" says, "If you spend just a little bit more......."

Bit in this case, I'll apologize in advance. I going to be That Guy.

But.......for the addition of only the price of two cases of beer, you could have this:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-ProStaff...Nikon+Prostaff
Old February 1, 2016, 06:54 AM   #28
fourbore

You cannot beat the Nikon for value for optical clarity. These lack the parallax adjustment, which is a trade off the Bushnell (and cost), which can be focused for close work and at 12x that maybe useful. I generally go Nikon as my 2nd choice to save money over Leupold and Bushnell is my 3rd down. They all three represent a fair value to me.

Even if you post on some forum and ask about Nikon, you will get a lot of up scale alternatives. There is no top to the little better ladder. Although I have a few Nikon, jst saying, there is always better and it can be significantly better.

I like a clean duplex cross hairs not Nikon BDC OR Bushnell drop gimmick. That maybe useful for some, but just get in my way.

What I TOTALLY DONT GET, is why these so-called AR scopes dont ALL us mil dot cross hairs? The dots should be accurate at 10x if not the whole magnification range. What gives? It is all goofy gimmicks until you pay all kinds of extra $100, and a lot of hundreds at that, just to get the basic mil dot. And they call these AR scopes? Really AR? Should be 2 choices, duplex or mil dot.

Edit: I do find the Bushnell quality varies more than the other two and might be worth looking at any of these choices at a gun shop then buy online for price.

Last edited by fourbore; February 1, 2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old February 1, 2016, 09:33 AM   #29
Hunter Customs

farmboy, that Nikon was a good suggestion, as I have one of those scopes I took in on a trade.
It's now on a 223 Savage heavy barrel bolt gun I own.
I still would prefer a SWFA SS 6 power over the Nikon but the Nikon does what I need it to for now.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old February 1, 2016, 10:04 PM   #30
smarquez

I have this on one of my ARs. I think I paid $179 for this scope and a Burris PEPR mount. I rate it up there with my Nikon P223 in 3x and 3-9 for clarity.
http://shop.opticsplanet.com/vortex-...FYIlgQodCZwPrQ
Old February 2, 2016, 12:00 AM   #31
Regular Joe

This is a Weaver K-6 in Weaver QR mounts:
I think I paid $149 for it from Midway.
You guyz who talk about 500 and 600 yards with an AR carbine just plain crack me up. How does a 250 yard varmint cartridge become a 500 yard man killer?
Old February 2, 2016, 08:42 AM   #32
Mobuck

I often wonder about how much the guys giving advice actually carry their AR's. I carry an AR almost every day--behind the seat of my work Jeep, on the UTV, in the pickup, or hung on a sling. Any one of my carbines gets more beating and banging in a week than the common "range toy" gets in it's lifetime. If I need it to work and hit what I aim at, it had better perform.
When I make a recommendation, it's based on what works for me not what Joe Blow showed up with at the range play day.
Old February 2, 2016, 12:20 PM   #33
rickyrick

I've been lucky. I had a mini14 that I used several days a week and bounced in the truck forever. I used a bushnel banner on it and it worked zeroed once and held it. Hunted yotes and hogs at least four days a week. It's like anything budget, luck of the draw, you may get one that holds up, may not. Probably trust a weaver or mueller if going budget.
Old February 3, 2016, 10:38 AM   #34
bfoosh006

For a 1-4 power I will also recommend the Primary Arms.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...4x/p/kt-pa14x/

However... if you are truly looking for 500yd shooting ... 1-4 is pretty low powered.

PA also has a quite good FFP 4-14 w/ ACSS that has proven to be a good deal to me... I have 3 of them.

FFP is a huge advantage in the PA price range.

It looks like PA is replacing that last model soon... so no current link.
Old February 3, 2016, 08:20 PM   #35
Dranrab

I think the Nikon P223 3X is a perfect match for an AR out to say 300 yards. The look, feel, dimensions, durability, optical quality...it's all there and for $100 if you shop around.

https://www.slickguns.com/product/ni...flescope-11995
Old February 3, 2016, 10:16 PM   #36
agtman

Nikon is about the cheapest optic I'd default to. The glass on the Nikons I've owned has always been excellent.

Agree with Bedlamite's earlier comment about avoiding Chi-Com junk scopes, like Weaver's Kaspa-crap line. Ditto UTG, BSA, Barska - all junk.

Millets have a hit-n-miss reputation, but the I thought their 30mm 1-4x was way longish and overly heavy for that limited magnification range.

Some of the Leupy AR-line scopes aren't bad for their price-point.

For me, choosing a scope really depends on the reticle, plus I prefer having the option of an illuminated reticle. But that feature also always elevates the maker's price-point, and some have real QC problems with the durability of their illumination or the battery life, or both.

Also, avoid makes of illuminated optics that use some pricey, hard-to-find "coin" battery. The most common and economical one now appears to be the standard CR-2032.

Again, don't go cheap on the optic. Run irons now while you save up, little by little, for a quality scope.

Best to buy once, and cry not at all.

Last edited by agtman; February 4, 2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old February 4, 2016, 06:34 PM   #37
orsogato

Primary Arms as others have suggested. Also I would look very hard at a Burris Fullfield ii 2x7x35mm. It is a fantastic value and right in your budget range.
Old February 6, 2016, 01:48 PM   #38
madcratebuilder

You may want to check the used scope market. Last fall I was in a LGS that normally has 4 or 5 used scopes on the counter for sale. They had a 1-4 Burris with a FFII, I asked for the price and he looked at it and said "for you, $225" I bought it and it turned out to be a Burris Xtreme Tactical 1-4x24 Illuminated XTR scope with the FastFire II. That's a $900 scope still, it's a few years old but what the heck, it was cheap. I've picked up a couple of "mid range" scopes, stuff that has a street price in the 5-600 area for under $200. It is normally obvious if a scope has been beat to crap. I even bought a broken Leopold pistol scope for $25, hand carried it in to Leopold and it was fixed free. There are some good buys out thier, you just have to find them.
Old February 5, 2018, 11:03 AM   #39
alphaone

Looking at adding a vortex crossfire 1-4x, but came across a review on a Razor HD. https://outdooropticshq.com/best-ar-15-scope-reviews/ and was curious what the differences are when you get a $150 scope versus a $1500 scope. Are they really that much better?
Old February 5, 2018, 11:13 AM   #40
625TC

https://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-...le-scopes.html

I know many may not like the N/C Star stuff but I have used many different ones with good results.
Old February 6, 2018, 08:11 AM   #41
agtman

Two year old Necro-thread?
Old February 6, 2018, 09:18 PM   #42
bacardisteve

I have used a primary arms 1-4x. It's still mounted on one of my wife's rifles. It works but it isn't all that bright and the eyebox sucks. It does hold up well and maintain zero.
Old February 6, 2018, 10:21 PM   #43
bungiex88

I recommend not cheaping on glass it’s never a good idea. I would recommend a leupold or a mid range to high level vortex
Old February 8, 2018, 10:59 AM   #44
saiga21308

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota.potts View Post
I wrote about my experience with the Bushnell Banner here. Pretty decent scope for the $65 I paid for it. Given a budget of $150, though, I would explore some other options.
i heard nothing but good reviews on that scope for ranges 400 and under
Old February 8, 2018, 11:03 AM   #45
saiga21308

Quote:
Originally Posted by 625TC View Post
https://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-...le-scopes.html

I know many may not like the N/C Star stuff but I have used many different ones with good results.
heres one with a red dot included and its cheaper
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NcStar-STM3...QAAOSwx-9Wz9qg
Old February 8, 2018, 05:03 PM   #46
SamNavy

Necro yes, but still on topic.

AlphaOne, I like Vortex because, as a brand, they get the eyebox right on almost every model. I can settle down right away behind a Vortex on just about any gun and get comfortable real quick. The Crossfire glass is on par with a Nikon Prostaff, which is generally regarded as a benchmark in the lower-teir scopes. Also, the warranty on Vortex products can't be beat.

I actually have a Crossfire 1-4x ($100 from Cabelas with some discount gift cards and AJ) coming in the mail to try out on a 6.8spc pig gun. My second choice, and something I may still buy, is the new Leupold VX-Freedom($200). I'm certain that it's a better scope, with better glass and build better... but it's twice the money. If I do get a Freedom, I'll likely get he 2-7x because they're pretty light and I'm trying to keep this gun down in weight.

To answer your question about $150 vs. $1500... glass, glass coating, mechanicals, machining tolerances, QA, etc... The biggest thing you'll notice looking through at $150 vs. $1500 is the brightness and clarity.

You'll hear guys say, "My Bushnell Banner looks the same as my buddies Nightforce..." all the time. Perhaps at the range, under an awning, looking away from the sun in brightly lit conditions at 100yds with somebody who has bad eyes... perhaps.

But now put the sun in front of the scope out in the open, or at dusk/dawn, or through some funky haze/mirage with a ton of glare and reflections from multiple angles... the "brightness and clarity" makes it really obvious where the extra $1350 goes. It's quite often the difference between making that clean shot on a trophy bull 20 minutes after sunset or not even being able to see it.

You really have to sit down with some different tier optics under various conditions to get a real appreciation for why guys will spend so much on a scope. For mid-day conditions sitting on a bench at the range plugging paper, yeah, a Banner or Prostaff might not do anything better than a S&B or Zeiss.

But back to reality... 99% of what you would realistically ask Vortex Crossfire to do, it's gonna do.
Old February 8, 2018, 05:32 PM   #47
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
You guyz who talk about 500 and 600 yards with an AR carbine just plain crack me up. How does a 250 yard varmint cartridge become a 500 yard man killer?
Being able to shoot helps; but regardless, people have been killed at distances exceeding 600yds with 5.56mm AR15s. The Battle of Najaf being just one example.

ETA: .223 at 1000yds vs. milk jug - with about 167 ft/lbs of energy according to my ballistics calculator - about as much as a mild .38 Special.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; February 8, 2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old February 8, 2018, 06:33 PM   #48
Ricklin

Shopping right now

I am shopping for a scope for a woods gun. It's my FIL's old Stevens 325C in 30-30.
Right now I am prepping it for Duracoat, I'll shop a while more on the scope as it's the cherry on top. Don't need it till last.

So far I am leaning toward the Bushnell Elite 3500 2-7 X 32. The cheapo Bushnell's...not a fan. As you go up the product line they get good. I won't go below the Elite series for Bushnell.

I also really like their Rainguard lens coating. I'm restoring this rifle for coastal deer, it's always rainy and dark there. Shots are generally 50 yds. or thereabouts, rarely past 100.

In fact if the stock was not inletted for the scope mount I would just put a peep on it. It's drilled for one of those side mount rigs.
Old February 8, 2018, 09:17 PM   #49
hodaka

Slightly more @ $170 is this:

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-eur...ack-matte.html

This is a Chinese Weaver but may be a bargain. I have one on my 3-gun AR and like it a lot.
Old February 9, 2018, 06:47 AM   #50
Road_Clam

You don't need to spend $600 on a scope for recreational 100 yd paper punching. You also don't need a 24x scope to shoot 100 yds. I see some way overkill (excessive magnification) AR optic's at my clubs 50 and 100 yd ranges. I also have a cheap Walmart Bushnell 3-16 on my 300 Blackout steel gong ringer. Low recoil, and I shoot mostly subsonic at 200 meters so I don't need a high end optic. I love my Leupold 3-12 for 100 yd target. It was $399 from Cabelas. IMO any scope with the high end glass from Japan will be crystal clear. I've looked through a $200 Bushnell and a $4000 Schmidt and Bender and while the S&B glass is just amazing, it's not amazing enough for me to spend $4K. My $1100 Burris F Class scope is the max optic I own suits me perfect for out to 1000 yd recreational target. The experts claim that you start paying the big coin for the uber precise turret tracking engineering. Most all the competition F class shooters go with the NF scopes so that's the testament to the NF's ability to track with precision.

Last edited by Road_Clam; February 10, 2018 at 02:36 PM.

Tags
ar-15 , ar-15 optic , ar-15 scope mounting , budget build , m&p 15