The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 4, 2016, 04:16 PM   #1
Tony Z

10/22 target model

Does anyone here know if the Ruger 10/22 heavy barrel target model has the new BX trigger or at least a better trigger than stabdard 10/22's?

Thanks,

T.
Old February 4, 2016, 04:35 PM   #2
DAVID NANCARROW

I bought one about 15 years ago that has a very nice stock trigger...much more so than the standard carbine. Can't speak to the ones they make now, but back then I believe they used hand picked parts which were finished to closer tolerances. The one I have is a nice shooter. The only thing I did was to get the Volquartzen bedding kit...does 1/2 inch 10 shot groups at 50 yards with most cheap brands of ammo. Better groups with good target stuff such as CCI Green tag and Eley match.
Old February 4, 2016, 08:44 PM   #3
Pahoo

Your call !!!

Tony,
About a year ago, a friend of mine, asked me to do a trigger job on his target model. I was curios and certainly interested in just how much of a difference there was from the standard model. Now, others may have a different experience but I found that it had what they called, a target hammer and hammer-forged bull barrel and nothing else. No buffer or auto bolt release. May have had a different hammer spring, I really could not tell. I guess my point is that you can do better with a Volts kit and add other features, for about $50.00 and your own labor. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 4, 2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Tony Z

Thanks for the replies!

T.
Old February 4, 2016, 10:33 PM   #5
DAVID NANCARROW

Quote:
About a year ago, a friend of mine, asked me to do a trigger job on his target model. I was curios and certainly interested in just how much of a difference there was from the standard model. Now, others may have a different experience but I found that it had what they called, a target hammer and hammer-forged bull barrel and nothing else. No buffer or auto bolt release. May have had a different hammer spring, I really could not tell. I guess my point is that you can do better with a Volts kit and add other features, for about $50.00 and your own labor.
Really???? And where is this magical place which sells all these parts to accurize a 10/22 for $50?
According to Volq, their action kit starts at $125, the bolt tune up kit-if you think you need it is $36, the auto bolt release is $11.50-not sure what that does for accuracy but you seem to think its needed, and the recoil buffer which probably should be used is another $11.50. Looks pretty north of $150 and we haven't got around to the rifle yet. Nor has the bedding issue been addressed.

The Volquartsen kit probably has a slightly better trigger press than the stock 10/22T, but the standard trigger isn't bad.
Old February 5, 2016, 12:22 PM   #6
Pahoo

Addressing the trigger question

Quote:
Really???? And where is this magical place which sells all these parts to accurize a 10/22 for $50?
According to Volq, their action kit starts at $125, the bolt tune up kit-if you think you need it is $36, the auto bolt release is $11.50-not sure what that does for accuracy but you seem to think its needed, and the recoil buffer which probably should be used is another $11.50. Looks pretty north of $150 and we haven't got around to the rifle yet. Nor has the bedding issue been addressed.
Dave,
1) I was responding to the OP's concerns on the trigger, no more-no less. However, since you asked, you can get a Volts target hammer for about $36.00. This will give excellent performance for the money.

2) He did not ask about the other "stuff" but I will reply; By my measure, the bolt tune-up kit is not a priority. As for the auto bolt release, you can modify your OEM for $0.00. As to the buffer, I paid $4.00 each and charge $6.00. You can also make your own buffer by using nylon/plastic bolt. I've never used these but suspect they would not be more than $1.00 each. No, a buffer is not absolute but here is why I recommend them. The bolt is steel, recoiling back to a steel pin and that steel pin, is hammering on the aluminum receiver. Eventually the receiver holes get hammered and the steel pin starts falling out on disassembly. On one occasion, there was a crack radiating from one of the receiver holes. Also, I feel that the polymer buffer shortens the cycle.
Quote:
Looks pretty north of $150
You need to recalibrate your compass. ........

Be Safe !!!
Old February 5, 2016, 01:47 PM   #7
bwcaq

I have a target "tactical" 10/22 and the trigger is a little better than my 10/22 carbine. I replaced it with a BX trigger recently and after the first 10 rounds I found myself sitting at the bench with a stupid grin on my face.

I have very little experience with upgraded triggers, so my bar is probably lower than some, but that rifle immediately went to the top of my list. I just didn't know it could be that fun!

There were a dozen or so triggers on the shelf when I bought it, so I got to pick the one that I liked best.
Old February 5, 2016, 03:24 PM   #8
Tony Z

Thanks one and all-lots of possibilities for the gun!