The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 28, 2016, 04:21 PM   #1
joeranger

Installing buffer tube AR

I have a new build and can't get the buffer retainer pin to fit. When I screw in the buffer tube, it either doesn't hold the pin or it goes right up against the pin.

Any ideas? I am using random parts.
Old January 28, 2016, 05:24 PM   #2
stagpanther

It's not supposed to thread to a "stop" (unless maybe it's an A2 rifle tube) You turn it enough times to hold it it place (just covering the wider shelf at the base of the pin) but not bind it and then lock it (and the button plate) with the extension castle nut. Be careful making sure you hold it down while adjusting the tube or you will soon be on your hands and knees searching the 4 corners of the room : )

--Sorry just re-read--do you have a tube with a protrusion and button cut specifically to hold the pin--and that's not what's spacing right?
Old February 3, 2016, 10:46 AM   #3
bfoosh006

Lots of people have filed some of the buffer tube material away to help with a better fit by the buffer retaining pin. Make sure to deburr it after you are done.

You can just see in the photo what this guy did.

JUST DON"T OVER DO IT !! because then you will be in the same boat again.

Slow and steady is the way to go !
Old February 3, 2016, 02:36 PM   #4
joeranger

Thanks. Seems like the obvious solution, but it is odd that you would have to do it.
Have other people had this problem other than the pic above?
Old February 3, 2016, 06:57 PM   #5
Mobuck

"Have other people had this problem other than the pic above?"

Not usually a mind numbing problem.
Old February 4, 2016, 01:35 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

I have a lower that doesn't play nicely with buffer tubes that have to be "clocked" like carbine tubes or tubes that have lips specifically placed to hold the retainer.
I discovered the issue while test-fitting parts; and didn't really plan on getting to that lower any time soon, so it wasn't a big deal.

Later on (sooner than expected ), when I actually assembled that lower for use, I was using a carbine tube, so it did become an issue.

Rather than notch the tube as illustrated above (not a bad idea), I filed a flat across the tube to match with the location of the retainer. (It turned out to be a bad lower. The retainer hole is in the wrong place. ...But I'm still using it.)